C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 corvette engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 AM
rzkas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 corvette engine

hello, i just bought a 82 corvette without an engine. pls i need idea on what engine to put in this car to make it look cool, fast and dont cost too much money. i am student i dont have too much money to spend but want a nice and cool car. should i just look for a stock drop in engine from another 82 corvett or can i change/sway it to a carburator ? can a drop in engine from a 84 corvett works and fit perfectly in an 82 corvett without major modifcation? pls help me with some ideas on what type of engine to put 1n this car. the whole car is stock with a transmission but no engine. it has all the wiring harness. my email is rzkas@yahoo.com . thanks for all ideas.
Raz
Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say there is no such thing as an engine thats fast and looks cool for not much money. now for some money you can shop around for a flat topped 350 thats running. put a good set of heads and cam on it and you will be at least flying if you run a stall and decent rear gears.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Just find a rebuilt 350 cu. in. carbureted engine. The 82 came with the Cross-Fire engine w/ 2-trottle bodies on the intake manifold and the first 'real' ECM...but finding one of those would be a PITA. The 350 engine can be modified...now or later...in many ways for more power. There are lots of aftermarket 'toys' available to do that. And that engine will drop right in the car you bought. Have fun...
Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An 84 Corvette engine will drop in and work with your existing ECM and fuel pump set-up.

If you are trying to keep the money low, and dont have a cheap donor CFI engine, then a carbed small block chevy would be a good alternative.

Do a search here in C3 tech and C4 tech for "CFI to carb" swap to find out the things you'll need to do.

The carb swap will get you the most power "bang for your buck", but leave you with less MPG and possible less drivability. Fuel injection takes care of those issues, but leaves you with less power.

If you do stick with a CFI engine, you can mod those up relatively cheaply. Do a search on that as well and you'll find lots of info on hopping up a CFI motor.

Good luck and be sure to keep having fun.

Last edited by MN-Brent; 04-09-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

does it still have all the acceseries and brackets that go on the front of the engine?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Black 82
Instructor

I have a complete '82 rolling chassis and I'd be willing to sell the complete engine and whatever else you might need - cheap. It has 60k miles and ran fairly well when the car was disassembled for my restomod project. I would have it rebuilt if I was gonna go through the trouble to install it in another car.

Where are you located?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
rzkas
Racer

no all the accessories are gone with the old engine
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
rzkas
Racer

Thanks for all the info. so if i swap to a carb, what do i do with all those harness. do i rip them out of the car or should i do with them? i live in seattle washington, if anyone has a complete engine from a 82 or 84 corvett stock engine pls contact me or if anyone has a good running 350 small block pls contact me. rzkas@yahoo.com.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
rzkas
Racer

so it since, if i go with carb i will spend less with more power but if i go with injector i will spend more and less power.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

That's about right. But, you will get better mileage with the [low power] TBI set-up. Just drop in a 350 w/carb...then you don't have to worry about (or buy) the TBI stuff.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black 82
I have a complete '82 rolling chassis and I'd be willing to sell the complete engine and whatever else you might need - cheap. It has 60k miles and ran fairly well when the car was disassembled for my restomod project. I would have it rebuilt if I was gonna go through the trouble to install it in another car.

Where are you located?
thats the way to go, all the right parts all together at once. you will spend a bunch of money and trouble trying frankinstein together all the needed parts your missing. if you dont go with the same year at least find a wrecked donor and get the whole mess all together. but the correct year/car would be the easiest and cheapest and its just manual work, not tons of headachs and BS to go with it.. imo good luck!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Fuel injection still produces great power if you want to go there, but youll spend some serious dough to get there. I was referring specifically to the CFI set-up. Very reliable, not alot of power stock, but good torque. You can do some parts swapping like:

Manifold porting or swapping (Renegade)
85 fuel pump mod and bump up the fuel pressure
1.6 roller rockers
New cam (Crane 2030 or 2040 or equivalents-Crane went out of business)
Open up the exhaust with true duals.

All this is not too expensive and may get you from stock 200HP to maybe 250-275HP. A carb-intake swap out may get you much closer to 300 with similar money, if your starting from scratch.

In your case, since you have no motor, Id probably go carb and have fun with it, since you have nothing invested in the CFI.

Another relative inexpensive alternative could be to swap in a late model TBI injected motor-4L60E trans and use the PCM that goes with that, if you enjoy wiring.

Check out the Crossfire Injection Vault forum or go to the CF C4 tech forum and look at CFI threads.

Brent.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
rzkas
Racer

Thanks for all the response. so far i coming down with a decission. i think will go with a small block 350 with carb. if i go this route, do i need to get ride of the computer and the harness in the hood to keep the hood clean and neat. i asked a friend about feul pressure if i sawp to carb, he told me it easy, all i have to do is disconnect the feul pump in the tank and run a line to the 350 SB external pump. so far i think 350sb with carb will save me lot more money and give me more horse power. or should i look out for a stock drop in engine from 82 and 84 corvette and 350sb and compare the price/cost for the engine. Whatever is cheaper to buy and installation process i will go with it. what ya think about his idea.
after this car is fix, i will like to lower it. How do i go about to lower this car in the front and rear.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:55 AM
rzkas
Racer

Anyone know a place i can contact that sell engine for a reasonable price. or anyone have engine for sale.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 corvette engine

Quick Reply: 82 corvette engine