C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 brake options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM
clay9_24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C3 brake options?

I am currently rebuilding my 73 vette (73 BB 4speed)right now. I want to update the brake system and am curious about my options. From browsing alot of post i have noticed different things that people are doing to their C3s. Of course the search function won't find anything of relevance when i need it to.

My question is, what are my options with updating the brake system on a c3, what works well, what does it cost, etc. (also is there any possible salvation for that stupid ebrake that is useless). I see pitures of people replacing their master cylinder with one from wilwood. Are the c5 brake kits worth their costs? Any suggestions on what would be a reasonable upgrade for the brake system would be appreciated

Clay
Old 04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless Steels Brakes has a nice upgrade for C3 Vettes. http://www.ssbrakes.com/

They are much lighter than stock brakes and are a direct replacement.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You dont need to toss $$$$ worth of brake parts to get a good braking performance, just get a hydroboost with its lines/fittings and you'll never regret it.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
You dont need to toss $$$$ worth of brake parts to get a good braking performance, just get a hydroboost with its lines/fittings and you'll never regret it.
Yes, Hydroboost plus Oring pistons, toss the piston springs, and new hoses and m/cyl from a late shark...do it once all at once, and get over with it.....I assume your calipers are stainless lined already, as I can't imagine any shark left without them...

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

The C3 brakes were way ahead of there Time when they came out on the C2's and they really arn't that bad by todays standards unless your going to do Track days. Keep in mind that they are Four Piston Caliper Brakes at all corners. Uh the C4 and C5 brakes can't say that untill You get into the Z06 stuff. Besides the quirks that we all know of with them probably the biggest thing wrong with them by modern standards is that the Rotors arn't big enough. Unless You have 17" Wheels that dosn't matter either.The last Time I talked to Baer they were suposed to be working on C3 stuff and Willwood has had brakes for C3's for a number of Years.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 71 has Hydroboost, Wilwood Lagunas and Blackhawks, Raybestos drilled and slotted rotors and braided hoses. It stops EXTREMELY well.......

Last edited by flynhi; 04-08-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
The C3 brakes were way ahead of there Time when they came out on the C2's and they really arn't that bad by todays standards unless your going to do Track days. Keep in mind that they are Four Piston Caliper Brakes at all corners. Uh the C4 and C5 brakes can't say that untill You get into the Z06 stuff. Besides the quirks that we all know of with them probably the biggest thing wrong with them by modern standards is that the Rotors arn't big enough. Unless You have 17" Wheels that dosn't matter either.The last Time I talked to Baer they were suposed to be working on C3 stuff and Willwood has had brakes for C3's for a number of Years.

IMHO floating calipers would be a step back from C2/C3 disc brake system.

Simple upgrades that will improve the OEM system without breaking the bank are 1) premium pads, such as Hawk HPS or HP Plus; 2) replacing the flex hoses with quality braided lines, (read, "Goodridge"); 3) upgrading to Dot 4 or better, non-silicone brake fluid (flame-thrower ready); and, of course, there's always 4) SS, o-ringed calipers/pistons. If your idea of "spirited driving" requires still more improvement, there remain a number of additional mods shy of changing everything out altogether which IMHO are worth consideration, hardcore as they may be. Just ask if that sounds like something you'd be interested in.

If you'd rather go aftermarket, Wilwood Laguna (front) & Blackhawk (rear) 4-piston calipers fit w/stock rotors & wheels (per CF'er Corvette Engineering), or you can step up from there, depending on your budget. Hope that helps.

TSW

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 04-08-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
clay9_24
Instructor

Great ideas everyone. I am definitly looking into the hydro boost and some aftermarket calipers and rotors. what is a good aftermarket solution for the parking break?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clay9_24
Great ideas everyone. I am definitly looking into the hydro boost and some aftermarket calipers and rotors. what is a good aftermarket solution for the parking break?
I believe that SS Brakes has a SS parking brake incorperated.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Yes, Hydroboost plus Oring pistons, toss the piston springs, and new hoses and m/cyl from a late shark...do it once all at once, and get over with it.....I assume your calipers are stainless lined already, as I can't imagine any shark left without them...

What's the benefit of eliminating the springs?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklinite
What's the benefit of eliminating the springs?
Assuming you have SS lined calipers, and being these cars are SO old now, it's hard to imagine any that are on the car and NOT SS lined...easy to determine...shiney bores and no pits....

so the O rings do not react with the springs, as being too snug in the fit...take more pressure to slide....

the OEM style lip seals are better off and more tolerant of rotor runout/bearing slop without those springs helping cause that pumping action, that makes the calipers ingest air and cause a non existent/soft pedal....if there is NO spring, the pads/pistons are simply knocked aside and are not used as a air pump to the hydraulics....

essentially a bad design....for automotive use....

don't forget, disc brakes are a aircraft use take off from the late 50's.....first appearing in '65.....not so awful evil a system for it's time...but that was nearly 50 years ago...

time for a update, methinks?? maybe?....

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Assuming you have SS lined calipers, and being these cars are SO old now, it's hard to imagine any that are on the car and NOT SS lined...easy to determine...shiney bores and no pits....

so the O rings do not react with the springs, as being too snug in the fit...take more pressure to slide....

the OEM style lip seals are better off and more tolerant of rotor runout/bearing slop without those springs helping cause that pumping action, that makes the calipers ingest air and cause a non existent/soft pedal....if there is NO spring, the pads/pistons are simply knocked aside and are not used as a air pump to the hydraulics....

don't forget, disc brakes are a aircraft use take off from the late 50's.....first appearing in '65.....not so awful evil a system for it's time...but that was nearly 50 years ago...

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
VictoriaVette
Pro

Originally Posted by HamadUP
What is a hydroboost info, link etc.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by VictoriaVette
What is a hydroboost info, link etc.
Thanks
its where you remove the vacuum booster from the master cylinder and plumb the new system into the power steering system.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
VictoriaVette
Pro

I would like more info on this and what is the advantages of doing this?
Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
clay9_24
Instructor

I have been reading up on these systems for a few days now. I'm trying to plan before i break the bank on a system that isn't matched correctly.

Hydroboost plumbs into the power steering pump and uses the positive pressure from your ps pump to apply break pressure. The particular reason that people seem to be switching to hydroboost over vacuum boost is that motors with performance cams produce less vacuum than un-modified motors. This results in less assistance with braking. Not that significant of a problem. However, (this is why i am seeing that it is a bonus on the vettes) if the car has alot of devices that require vacuum to operate(a/c, headlights, etc) then the amount of motor vacuum is divided between the entire system which leads to even less assistance with braking.

Shortly put (from what i have been studying, feel free to and PLEASE correct me if i am wrong) where vacuum pressure is not constant(usually drops at low rpms) and (particularly in the vettes) engine vacuum i used to drive a number of different things. Switching to the use of the power steering pump as a source for brake force assistance helps by giving a more constant, greater, and dependable source of power.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
mdbelanger
Instructor

Very well explained.

Thanks.

Michael.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to my Hydroboost Install
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Best way to improve your braking is to buy sticky tires.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 brake options?

Quick Reply: C3 brake options?