C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver side hood release won't open 72 coupe sb

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
kramek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side hood release won't open 72 coupe sb

Hi All,
i can't get the drivers side hood release to open. I've gotten a wire on the release cable but no end of tugging on it gets it to release. After removing the vents on the hood There doesn't appear to be an access hole in the that I can stick a screwdriver thru and push the latch.We tried to go under the car but the power brake booster seems to be in the way. Are there any other ways to get this loose? We're considering drilling a hole thru the wall but are concerned about damaging the brake booster. I really don't want to bust up the hood.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
HK
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Streamline
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove side vents(louvers) on the front fenders.....and you should be able to see the rear hood brackets.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 261 Likes on 211 Posts

You should be able to remove the side fender grill and reach up high enough to get at the latch.

Gary
Old 04-01-2009, 07:06 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same problem on my '72. I ended up having to remove the side grill/vent and reaching up and releasing the latch, but there is an easier method. There should be a hole (1/2") in the front wall of the windshield wiper tray on the drivers side in line with the hood latch. It is hard to see.You get a long steel 1/4" rod, about two feet, bend a slight curve in it, and add a small block of wood at the end as a handle so you can push it. The curve allows you to slide the rod along the windshield and through the hole. The hood latch is immediately behind the hole, and a little pressure will activate the latch. I'll try and get a pic to show you how it works.

Get notified of new replies

To driver side hood release won't open 72 coupe sb

Quick Reply: driver side hood release won't open 72 coupe sb