C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Wiper Door Actuator Seal Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM
buskey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 Wiper Door Actuator Seal Question

Hey guys, quick question for you....

Does the 69-71 wiper door actuator boot have a retaining ring to keep it in place? I know the headlight actuator boots have a retaining ring but my wiper door actuator does not have one - not sure if it did but was removed at some point or if they just don't have them.

Reason I ask is now that I have the door working, the boot popped out on me during operation so I am assuming it needs one??

If so, do I have to buy a whole new actuator just to get the retainer? I see I can buy the headlight actuator ring but see nothing for wiper actuator.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There is no retaining ring. When new, the boot just fits snugly over the flared lip on either mating part. With all of the oil/petroleum fumes over the years, your boot has 'grown' a bit so it doesn't stay put. {same as everyone else's} If you remove it, clean it up and stretch it into shape a bit, it might stay in place. Or, you can always put a bit of silicone caulk/glue on the inside edge of the boot, install it, and let it dry in place. You can also buy a new boot; but if that's all you need, the cost for it and shipping would be absurd.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
buskey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, actually it is a new boot and I did silicone it in just in case - still popped out on me. I'll stick it back and try a few more runs with it, maybe just need to adjust something......
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Use a good cleaner (laquer thinner, etc.) to clean the boot and mating metal surfaces well before trying to use silicone adhesive. Then let it sit for at least 24 hours before using. You may even want to wrap something (painter's tape?) around the boot bellows to help extend it a bit while it is curing in place. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 70 Wiper Door Actuator Seal Question

Quick Reply: 70 Wiper Door Actuator Seal Question