C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach Bulbs and L Speaker

Old 02-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Tach Bulbs and L Speaker

Sick of looking at dark tach while night driving. Dropped steering column and pulled out L side dash. To my surprise I was able to get all tach bulbs out. 6 total. 1 for brake and another for directional. According to A M there are 6 bulbs. While at it replacing completely dry rotted L dash speaker. Looking for speaker replacements. Any info? This is what I removed. Does it look correct? Passenger side speaker is different. After market corvette radio so not to concerned with correctness. Just fit.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V,
The original speakers mounted under the dash pad were oval in shape, 4"x6".
I don't if or how that might affect what you buy at this point.
Regards,
Alan

Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Due to you having an aftermarket radio...you can get aftermarket dash speaks that will fit from many of the Corvette parts suppliers...or even a local stereo shop. But you do have to watch the depth and size of the magnet when you install it.

Not knowing if your dash pad still has the pot metal speaker mounting assembly that screws to the underside of your dash pad. Hopefully you still have it. Having it does make installing another speaker a bit easier due to you them mount the speaker to the pot metal housing.. Some modification to this pot metal housing may be required such as cutting out the 'X' that goes right through the center and allows a newer type speaker to fit with the added voice coil which is usually the tweeter that has been added.

The speaker that Alan shows in his photo is a factory 10 ohm speaker. That speaker will work with an aftermarket radio...BUT...using an aftermarket speaker like you have shown which is 4 ohms will NOT work with a facotry radio. Damage will result if you do.

DUB
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

I had planned on getting set of the 4x6 speakers Alan suggests. Dub the orig mounting screws are still in place and as you stated make mounting easy.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:38 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have a replacement speaker that is mis-matched with the rest of the audio system. Another poster asked if you have an aftermarket radio in the car. The answer to that question IS important.

The stock radio has a 10 ohm output impedance; the speakers were 10 ohm speakers so they would match. If you still have the original Delco radio, the speakers MUST be no more than 8 ohm units...or you risk damaging the output amp transistors.

Most aftermarket radios have a 4 ohm output impedance, and 4 ohm speakers are correct for that amp design. Thus, you need speakers that match whatever radio you have. In addition, while you have that stuff opened up, you should get speakers that are ALIKE and they should have an impedance value that matches the radio you choose. If you are replacing the entire audio system, decide on the components before you buy them. If you want to keep the existing radio, get speakers that match with the radio head.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-12-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You have a replacement speaker that is mis-matched with the rest of the audio system. Another poster asked if you have an aftermarket radio in the car. The answer to that question IS important.

The stock radio has a 10 ohm output impedance; the speakers were 10 ohm speakers so they would match. If you still have the original Delco radio, the speakers MUST be no more than 8 ohm units...or you risk damaging the output amp transistors.

Most aftermarket radios have a 4 ohm output impedance, and 4 ohm speakers are correct for that amp design. Thus, you need speakers that match whatever radio you have. In addition, while you have that stuff opened up, you should get speakers that are ALIKE and they should have an impedance value that matches the radio you choose. If you are replacing the entire audio system, decide on the components before you buy them. If you want to keep the existing radio, get speakers that match with the radio head.
Hi 71
As stated in orig post car has an aftermarket Corvette radio. I installed the basic under dash 8 ohm, 4x6 speaker set today. Perfect fit. As you stated as long as I was under dash I noticed the different speaker on the l side. So now I a matched set. Not to concerned with audio. As long as it works. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Tach Bulbs and L Speaker

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tach Bulbs and L Speaker