C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm End Play

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
robbinhood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing Arm End Play

I am trying to determine the correct shim when rebuilding the trailing arms. With just the bearings and the spacer installed on the tool (no shims), and the tool installed in the support housing, there is no end play. When I remove the tool from the housing, and install just the bearings and spacer on the tool, there is about .096 gap. I am using Timken bearings, and both races are installed fully into the housing. Any ideas on why this might be happening? I am using the Spindle setup tool from Wilcox. Has anyone had any issues with this tool not being the correct length?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
white80driver
Heel & Toe

Default Puzzled

Was there a shim in on the spindle along with the spacer when you took it apart? I always start by using this shim for my first set-up. You menioned that with just the spacer you had zero end play that will happen because you do not have enough stack up height. I hope you didn't torque that puppy to the 100 ft lbs. without a shim in there you may have trashed the bearings.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by white80driver
Was there a shim in on the spindle along with the spacer when you took it apart? I always start by using this shim for my first set-up. You menioned that with just the spacer you had zero end play that will happen because you do not have enough stack up height. I hope you didn't torque that puppy to the 100 ft lbs. without a shim in there you may have trashed the bearings.

I had a similar problem, but it was an issue with my setup tool. The tool was the right length, but the journal for the outer bearing was too tall, and the spacer (original '68 part) rode on the journal shoulder. My first and second setup showed a ton of end play; I was wondering if I was gonna have a small enough shim in the kit! I figured out the problem when I tried to pull everything apart to have a look, and the spacer was stuck on the setup tool. Once I got the spacer off, I had to grind down the shoulder of the journal on the tool. After that, the setup went great.

Try your setup once outside of the carrier to make sure everything looks right.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Robinhood,

You have to put a spacer shim in the set up to start with and make shim adjustments from there based on the end play. Without a shim, the tool will not work. I too, hope you did not torque the bearings without one.

Willcox Inc.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
robbinhood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Robinhood,

You have to put a spacer shim in the set up to start with and make shim adjustments from there based on the end play. Without a shim, the tool will not work. I too, hope you did not torque the bearings without one.

Willcox Inc.
Thanks for the help all. It works fine when you put a shim on the tool. Almost like magic. Fortunately, I only put the nut on hand tight without the shim.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm End Play

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm End Play