C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely Draining Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:55 PM
bernie payne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely Draining Brake Fluid

Long story short. Somehow my brakes got Dot 3 and Dot 5 brake fluid mixed. I want to completely drain out the system and put Dot 5 in. All the other posts I have seen involve keeping some of the fluid, which I obviously don't want to do. Any one have some suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Flush the system with denatured alcohol, then refill and bleed the system. I use a mighty vac it makes the job a little easier. Ron B.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

I think that if you want to 100 % replace all fluid, you need to remove the brake calipers for draining. The bleed srews are on top and just bleeding will not replace the fluid completely. Also, if there is water in the calipers, it will have the tendency to stay on the bottom and not find its way out the top bleed screws.

If you decide just to replace by flushing with DOT5, assure not to empty the master cylinder tank completely. This will just produce problems to bleed the system later on and the master cylinder might require bench bleeding again. Just suck out the old fluid from the tank, refill with new fluid and start bleeding one brake after the other till new fluid comes out. Watch that the master cylinder never empties and sucks air.

Rgds. Günther
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I removed the lines from the M/C and from the caliper and used a rubber hose to connect the M/C side to an air compressor and cleared the lines with compressed air.

so first i pumped most of the fluid out and then forced the dregs with the compressed air.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bernie payne
Long story short. Somehow my brakes got Dot 3 and Dot 5 brake fluid mixed. I want to completely drain out the system and put Dot 5 in. . .
the only way i know to get the system 100% dot 5 now is to disassemble the master cylinder and calipers. 3 and 5 will work in the system together, i.e., you will have brakes, but the dot 3 needs to be completely removed.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ,
I found, as S489 did, that I had to disassemble the master and the calipers to get rid of ALL the DOT3.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel
Flush the system with denatured alcohol, then refill and bleed the system. I use a mighty vac it makes the job a little easier. Ron B.
There are drain plugs on the bottom end of the calipers also. Might want to drain completely, Blow it out, Fill with denatured alcohol, pump the pedal, Drain completely, blow it out, fill with DOT 5, Bleed.

Get notified of new replies

To Completely Draining Brake Fluid

Quick Reply: Completely Draining Brake Fluid