C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI swap into 1980

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:38 PM
OKINAWA TPI T/A
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPI swap into 1980

Good day all. I am gonna help my old man with this swap here when the snow melts (new york). I have read everything i can find up to this point. I did find a Yahoo group, that was active until late 2008, but the email to get me access has been terminated. I am savvy with TPI motors having rebuilt an 1989 IROC and T/A. I also know that the electric cooling fans and a new 7r400 crossmember will be needed. Anyone mind helping me out. Thanks in advance and happy riding.
shawn
Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TPI is pretty old-tech at this point. They tend to run out of steam past 4,500 RPM or so. They look nice but they aren't the best route to go if you are looking for more performance. There are a number of aftermarket fuel injection systems that will give you better horsepower. If you already have all of the components, you can probably do a web search to find some sites on TPI conversions.

Rick B.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jags That Run and Chevy Thunder are 2 great resources, not C3 related though. The C4 section would have lots more TPI info as well.

Do a search in C3 Tech for guys that have done TPI and PM them on any questions.

Don't forget to post pics
Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 AM
tpi79
2nd Gear

If you have a specific question or questions I may be able to help you since that is essentially what I have is a finished car for what you are trying. My car is a 79 with tpi out of an 87 corvette. I did not do the installation myself but I could probably get you in touch with the guy who did. (the last owner of the car)

gather round for this, its alot

I know its old tech, but beleive me when I say it beats the stock L48. (even L82 if yours had that one to start)

The transmission required the yoke from a th350, which is also found on th400, 400e also, to acheive the correct length from transmission to rear diff. If you are going with the factory rearend, probably a 3.55, you would also need this adjustment. I dont recall the driveline it was, but it was either the origional shaft, or the one from the 87 car.

Be prepared for a Huge mess of wires, mind you the extra electronics must go somewhere, which if you get an addon computer instead of the one out of an existing car will help ALOT.

The fuel pump, and possibly your tank depending on solution, will need to be changed. Carburretors dont need the electric fuel pumps at the high pressures as do fuel injected cars. The solution on my car was a new fuel tank with an external pump, mounted to the lower passenger side firewall.

Your gauges will not work the same either, you will either need a conversion kit or new gauges designed to work with that distributor/tach, electronic instead of cable for speedo, fuel gauge may need new sending unit, because of the fuel pump deal, and the oil pressure gauge may need a new sending unit or may not.

Your windsheild wipers wont work if you forget the ground strap that goes to the transmission when you change. Your headlights will need to be replumbed for vacuum hook up, wich isnt difficult, and so will your brake booster. there are kits that turn the headlights into an electronic actuator, but are expensive and more time consuming, if your headlights work with the existing engine I would just rerout with new hoses.

Thats all I could think of for all the things that had to be done, hope yours goes well and I didnt scare you lol
Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

There is nothing especially difficult about changing your current induction system to TPI. All accerssories can remain, including the engine driven fan. You also do not need to change your transmission or the cam (if it is fairly mild and has a 112-114 degree centerline). The heart of the change is a GOOD wiring harness. I suggest Street & Performance. In a C3 I also suggest using a weatherproof computer and using the later GM system ('90-'91) instead of Mass Air Flow. There just isn't eoom for MAF.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM
bruced267
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Street & Performance for my harness they have been great help thus far! All my gauges work as they did stock, I did not change trans either. Good planning goes a long way!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:07 AM
tpi79
2nd Gear

I apologise for the run on post, thought he meant to change for an entire crate motor that was tpi, not just switch his induction to tpi.
Entirely correct about no need to switch transmission, that is just what the previous owner chose to do, since he was using a lower mileage donor car, in this case an 87. I didnt even need to bring that up, I was still thinking about a diffrent topic earlier where someone was planning an engine change.

I agree that you indefinately can with no problem keep the same fan and radiator, although my prefrence is electric. and for the love of all that is good take theese peoples advise about wire harness and computer being waterproof. the guy that did mine before I got it used the 87 corvette harness and computer, and there is a slew of unneded wires.

gauges wouldnt be a problem either aside from maby tach, and the newer system is indeed better,map instead of maf, but will need to be tuned to set the base pressure for your car. there is plenty of room for maf and it adapts to change better in general, but it is not convenient or as accurate.

again Im sorry about the confusion, disregard what I typed about the transmission. This switch will be much more simple than what I typed about. Hope I didnt throw you off too badly.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Greg73convertible
Advanced

Did one on my 73 with this guys help. I'm no mech but he walked me through it

http://www.jimsperformance.com/carty.html

p.s nows the time to put in a 700r as chip and wire harmess need to be set up

Get notified of new replies

To TPI swap into 1980

Quick Reply: TPI swap into 1980