C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep steering box conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Jeep steering box conversion

Giving some consideration to this, and would like feedback and info from those who've either done it or have a good working knowledge of it; particularly on what's involved in adapting an installation or about any kits that may be available, what exact box is used (& box ratio), any significant installation issues which might present, any shortcomings, or answers to other questions I ought to be asking.

Figure I'm not the only one who might like to know, so don't assume I/we know much of anything about this in your replies.

TIA

Charlie

edit - FWIW, the car in question is a '78 w/manual steering, NOM BB & Hooker sidemounts.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 03-12-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default What about these exact Replacement Mfg.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd251.htm

http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro.../Series500.htm

Borgeson has a C3 Corvette PS replacement with 12:1 ratio.
http://www.borgeson.com/POWER%20STEE...lacements.html
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Norvil (now on one of the "other" forums) did his own conversion - but he is a master fabricator in my opinion!

www.corvettesteering.com has the complete conversion kits - good reviews in the past. I have been considering this option.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give a brief overview of what the "jeep conversion" is? I'm a Jeep guy as well so I might be able to help everyone with a good source for parts or other models that might work.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If anyone is interested I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee box that has 6000 miles on it. I was going to do this conversion but I went to Steeroids instead. It is under my workbench if anyone is interested in a good box.

Last edited by Gordonm; 03-12-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I belive the box comes from a 1999 series Grand Cherokee Jeep. Tom at Corvette Steering Service was the one who first marketed the kit. There are several others now on the market. I have a Wilcox sourced box that was made by Concept One MFG and requires no adapters to bol into the Vette chassis, but it was almost $950 after shipping. Corvette Steering Service box clears my Stailess Works 1.75" tube headers in my 70 LT-1. Haven't finished car with Concept One box yet (I think Vette Brakes also sells Concept One box.) Any of these are FAR SUPERIOR to fragile brackets and bad ground clearance issues of rack/pinion systems in my humble view.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
naasaa
Instructor

Hi Gordonm

Any particular reason that you went for the Steeroid conversion rather than the Jeep box?
Anyone that can comment on the difference is in real?

Thanks
Lars
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by naasaa
Hi Gordonm

Any particular reason that you went for the Steeroid conversion rather than the Jeep box?

Thanks
Lars
No real reason. I bought the Jeep box with full intention of doing it and a Steeroids kit came along for a bargain so I bought it and shelved the Jeep box. Both are good upgrades.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Not to confuse anyone, but I was hoping someone has used this type of modern PS box:
http://72.167.214.73/catalog2/index.php?cPath=84_85,
I wanted to replace the old control valve and slave cylinder with this type of unit, like the Jeep conversion, but with no adaptors or mounting plates. Borgenson said it was a direct replacement and at $460 it looked like the price for what I would pay for a good manual steering box rebuild.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm still digesting this, so all I can offer in response at this point is to say thanks to those who have posted replies and to several others who have taken the time to PM me about this. Also, thanks mikep3 for pointing out the Borgenson option.

Not sure just what I'm going to end up doing, as other than parking lot issues I'm quite satisfied with my manual steering. However, since I'm in the middle of a major makeover anyway I thought it a good time to get better educated about this, you know, while I'm at it.

To backtrack for anyone not sure what we're talking about, IMHO the OEM PS is a PoS. After the one on my '78/SA tried (but failed) to put me in a pine box some years ago, I promptly converted to manual. The Jeep box conversion (et al) allows one to have PS on a C3 w/o the control valve and slave cylinder system.

TSW
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
neuroclast
Pro

I'd still like more info on this Jeep conversion. I hate the slop in my C3 system, it scares the hell out of me, and I don't want to pay $500 to have it rebuilt or replaced with the possibility of the same again.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Zychron
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bolt on conversion were the lower portion of the gear that attaches to the frame has been welded on (maybe that is the Concept One box?).

There is also a DIY conversion that looks interesting:
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showth...highlight=jeep
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have run the Jeep box for about 4 years and over 30000 miles. I feel like it is in the top 2 conversions I have done to my 63 in the last 39 years and over 250000 miles.

Add slotting the upper a frames and dialing in 5 degrees caster it will really make your C3 drive like a modern day car. Call Tom at Corvette steering services, I think his kit is 675.00, I wish he had it when I did my first one.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

That borgeson unit is also at Eckler's. It needs $300 more in part to make it usable. Only thing I see is that it may have the correct mounts cast into the box. corvettesteering still has the best kit (IMHO) of anyone.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Norval's old buildup

Norvalwilhelm did a fairly intensive build-up to get the 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee box to fit with his big-block. He cut some metal out of the mounting area and the top of the frame to get the Jeep box to fit as far to the driver's side as possible (more clearance for his headers) and still align the steering shaft with the box's input shaft. He then had to modify the Jeep pitman arm by cutting and rewelding it to center on the Vette centerlink. Here are some links to his old posts.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-jeep-box.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...x-install.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...box-today.html

Some additional notes:
Borgeson supposedly makes the correct joint to mate the Vette column to the Jeep box, 8DDx148. 8DD is for 18mm double D and the 148 is 1" by 48 spline for the Vette column.
A custom pitman arm is used in some of the commercial kits, but some have used a mid-seventies Chevelle style pitman.
The only negative side effect of the swap I've heard of is overly sensitive steering at higher speeds, as the Jeep must use some type of speed sensitive circuitry that our cars can't incorporate?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this project in the next couple of weeks (I hope!). I still need to order my Borgeson joint - I hope Summit can get one for me. I'm going to try to weld a mount plate into the car like Norval did.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:08 PM
naasaa
Instructor

I'm still curious about the real (driving) difference, experience, pros & cons between the steering box versus rack & pinion build
Anyone?

Get notified of new replies

To Jeep steering box conversion

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1mpalss
Norvalwilhelm did a fairly intensive build-up to get the 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee box to fit with his big-block. He cut some metal out of the mounting area and the top of the frame to get the Jeep box to fit as far to the driver's side as possible (more clearance for his headers) and still align the steering shaft with the box's input shaft. He then had to modify the Jeep pitman arm by cutting and rewelding it to center on the Vette centerlink. Here are some links to his old posts.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-jeep-box.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...x-install.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...box-today.html

Some additional notes:
Borgeson supposedly makes the correct joint to mate the Vette column to the Jeep box, 8DDx148. 8DD is for 18mm double D and the 148 is 1" by 48 spline for the Vette column.
A custom pitman arm is used in some of the commercial kits, but some have used a mid-seventies Chevelle style pitman.
The only negative side effect of the swap I've heard of is overly sensitive steering at higher speeds, as the Jeep must use some type of speed sensitive circuitry that our cars can't incorporate?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this project in the next couple of weeks (I hope!). I still need to order my Borgeson joint - I hope Summit can get one for me. I'm going to try to weld a mount plate into the car like Norval did.
I use the jeep box on 2 midyears and 1 shark and not one of them are too sensitive and also use the fast holes on the steering arms.

Tom resplines the pitman shaft so you use the stock corvette pitman arm.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by naasaa
I'm still curious about the real (driving) difference, experience, pros & cons between the steering box versus rack & pinion build
Anyone?
VERY subjective thing for any forum such as this or anywhere....problems are the tires, drivers, suspension mods....and even frame/birdcage conditions....
then engines, brakes,

NONE of these cars is alike anymore....even the NCRS resto's no matter how much they think so...
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is wrong with the Corvette box?

Quick Reply: Jeep steering box conversion