C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 dimmer switch.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 AM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 81 dimmer switch.

Hi guys..........ramair here. I always read, but seldom post. So dont worry, I,m around. Todays question is...............I removed the ign switch, signal, horn, etc. and now getting it all back together is, well different. Can't make the signal/dimmer lever contact the dimmer push rod. I must be missing something. Got pics I can check? thanks in advance...........bryan.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a one page pictorial on assembly of the T&T steering column head with a dimmer pivot (shown in picture #4). The part called the actuator connects the dimmer rod to the dimmer pivot.

Also 1969 through 1982 Corvette Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Paper #3 says the following:

Reassembly - Dimmer Pivot and Actuator
Install the dimmer pivot to the lock housing cover. (Early dimmer pivots were retained by a long bolt, later pivots used a press fit pin.) On 1977 columns route the wash/wipe switch wires down through the column. Assemble the plastic dimmer rod actuator to the end cap using some heavy grease. The actuator is guided between the end cap and the metal housing and is retained during assembly by the grease on the little square post inside the cap. Without the grease, the actuator is very difficult to hold in place while reassembling the column because the wire rod isn’t exactly tightly fixed in position.

Jim
Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default jims advices good.

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Here is a one page pictorial on assembly of the T&T steering column head with a dimmer pivot (shown in picture #4). The part called the actuator connects the dimmer rod to the dimmer pivot.

Also 1969 through 1982 Corvette Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Paper #3 says the following:

Install the dimmer pivot to the lock housing cover. (Early dimmer pivots were retained by a long bolt, later pivots used a press fit pin.) On 1977 columns route the wash/wipe switch wires down through the column. Assemble the plastic dimmer rod actuator to the end cap using some heavy grease. The actuator is guided between the end cap and the metal housing and is retained during assembly by the grease on the little square post inside the cap. Without the grease, the actuator is very difficult to hold in place while reassembling the column because the wire rod isn’t exactly tightly fixed in position.

Jim

Thanks jim for the diagram. Your not kidding that part is difficult to install. I have the feeling I'm going to go around with just low beams for a while........I'll try again later on. Have to repair other stuff at the moment. thanks again.........bryan.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Danny Halperin
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 81 dimmer switch

Originally Posted by Jim Shea

Jim
HI I TOOK THE BOX COVER OFF I NEED TO PUT BACK ON. SAYS TO GREASE DIMMER SWITCH TO INSIDE THE BOX COVER OVER THE LITTLE SQUARE , BUT THERES A RETAINING METAL CLIP THAT FELL OUT. NOT SURE WHERE THAT GOES

Get notified of new replies

To 81 dimmer switch.

Quick Reply: 81 dimmer switch.