C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 just got it now it won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
broth13
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 just got it now it won't start!

I just traded for my first vette. it's a 73 with the 5.7 350 and a turbo 400 auto trans. i'm very new to this and i need help because shortly after driving it home, it began dying on me. at first it died when i came to a stop sign, but then it started dying even when i was cruising. i called the guy who sold it to me, and he came out to help when i could restart it and i was on the side of the road. he replaced the fuel filter and flushed some rusty water out of the hose saying that was the problem. after he did that it ran great, but about 3 miles later after we went on our way, the problem came back! it looks like the carb isn't opening up right, but like i said i'm new to this thing so i'm not sure. now i can't even get the thing running at all.

it appears like the problem lies in the fuel system, but i don't know exactly where.

does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by broth13
I just traded for my first vette. it's a 73 with the 5.7 350 and a turbo 400 auto trans. i'm very new to this and i need help because shortly after driving it home, it began dying on me. at first it died when i came to a stop sign, but then it started dying even when i was cruising. i called the guy who sold it to me, and he came out to help when i could restart it and i was on the side of the road. he replaced the fuel filter and flushed some rusty water out of the hose saying that was the problem. after he did that it ran great, but about 3 miles later after we went on our way, the problem came back! it looks like the carb isn't opening up right, but like i said i'm new to this thing so i'm not sure. now i can't even get the thing running at all.

it appears like the problem lies in the fuel system, but i don't know exactly where.

does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

thanks
Probably rust and sediment in the bottom of the fuel tank.
You should be able to shine a flashlight into the tank through the filler neck and see what the condition of the bottom of the tank is.
You're probably going to have to replace the tank and the in tank filter.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Pretendr07
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin_73
You should be able to shine a flashlight into the tank through the filler neck and see what the condition of the bottom of the tank is.
Dont get discouraged yet there are many problems to come.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 PM
tarby
Intermediate

truer words..........................
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

like said about check the fuel tank for crud in the bottom. Check the fuel filter again. If it has a bunch of trash in it then the fuel tank needs to be cleaned. If the car sat for a long period of time the fuel may have deteriorated causing some of the crud in the tank. You can try to vaccum out the crud, but a tankl removal and flushing is really required.
This will be the first of many things to do, but it is worth.
Roger
Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by RMS73
like said about check the fuel tank for crud in the bottom. Check the fuel filter again. If it has a bunch of trash in it then the fuel tank needs to be cleaned. If the car sat for a long period of time the fuel may have deteriorated causing some of the crud in the tank. You can try to vaccum out the crud, but a tankl removal and flushing is really required.
This will be the first of many things to do, but it is worth.
Roger
DO NOT TRY TO VACUUM ANY GAS TANK WITH A VACUUM CLEANER!! Gas fumes and electric motors do not mix very well. Years ago someone posted a video of this and it was not a pretty sight.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 AM
dn69427
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default car wont start

Drop the spare tire carrier, depending on how much is in the tank, get some 5 gal. containers and pull the fuel line off and drain the tank. Depending on what your tank looks like inside and out you may want to replace it. If you have small hands it may fit in to the tank and you can clean up the rest with a lint free shop cloth - my hand fit with some scrapes.. If it looks O.K. on the inside put some gas back in, then pull the line off the fuel filter and put the line in a jar and crank the car over to clean out the fuel line. I would then replace the filter. If the previous owner flushed out "rusty water" I would consider rebuilding / replacing your carb.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
broth13
4th Gear

thanks for info guys i'll give that a try!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
jda67gta
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Kevin_73
That's the ticket
Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
BassCat
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PretendR07 said it best. Don't let this discourage you. It's just the tip of the iceberg. But these old cars are worth the aggravation once everything is fixed. Good luck.
KC
Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with Eddie 70........ If you try to vacuum the tank, you probably won't live to see the results !!!

Get notified of new replies

To 73 just got it now it won't start!

Quick Reply: 73 just got it now it won't start!