C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filters- need a shorter one

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N Air Filters- need a shorter one

I've got a drop base (1.5 I think) air filter housing and an Edlebrock cast aluminum top. The ones with fake rivets around the outside edge. The filter is a K&N and I think it's a 4" tall unit.

Problem is that the fake rivets around the edge of that air filter housing top are hitting the hood. The whole upper housing has created a nice imprint in the hood insulation. That doesn't bother me. But one of the rivets has gone & put a nice sized notch in the hood itself. There's another that has also gone through the insulation and is making a notch in the hood too. Both of 'em are on the drivers side of the hood obviously from the way I drive it ;-)

So I need a shorter K&N but can't find one. Actually this one is a K&N style filter but made by SB products. If I could find a filter that was 1/2" shorter and still 13" around, I'd be happy as can be. But all I can find that are like that, are paper filters and I don't want to strangle my stroker. <Gawd can I say that here?>

Does anyone have any ideas or part numbers? I'm sold on the fabric filter style and have plenty of K&N oil here to maintain them with. If I could get a shorter filter then I could just buy another hood insulation pad and forget the grooves in the hood were ever there.
Attached Images     

Last edited by SanDiegoPaul; 01-23-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have one 4" tall, just go with a std height 3" filter, they are the most common anyway. If you can't find one at an Autoparts Store, just order from Summit or Jegs. I don't recall hearing of a 3 1/2" filter.

But by clicking on your pictures and taking a closer look, I'd say you have a 3" filter on there now. I compared it to a picture of my 4" filter, and yours definitely is shorter than mine. Just take a tape measure and measure the height, you'll see. That being the case, you'll need something shorter than 3". You will likely be out of luck getting a K&N shorter than a std 3", but you could check with them and see. If no luck there, just go to any Autoparts Store and get a 2" tall paper type filter (I actually have one on a car right now), and though not ideal for air flow, you'll be good to go in general.

Last edited by 540 RAT; 01-23-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 540 RAT
If you have one 4" tall, just go with a std height 3" filter, they are the most common anyway. If you can't find one at an Autoparts Store, just order from Summit or Jegs. I don't recall hearing of a 3 1/2" filter.

But by clicking on your pictures and taking a closer look, I'd say you have a 3" filter on there now. I compared it to a picture of my 4" filter, and yours definitely is shorter than mine. Just take a tape measure and measure the height, you'll see. That being the case, you'll need something shorter than 3". You will likely be out of luck getting a K&N shorter than a std 3", but you could check with them and see. If no luck there, just go to any Autoparts Store and get a 2" tall paper type filter (I actually have one on a car right now), and though not ideal for air flow, you'll be good to go in general.
Yea I have a paper element that came with the Edlebrock air cleaner housing. It would fit just fine if I wanted to use it .... but I drive this thing like I stole it - and also it was dyno tuned with the existing free flowing filter in place. Putting a paper element in it's place would be like having my hand closed over that 650 carburetor!

I didn't take the element out of the housing to measure, but it looks like a hair over 3.5" tall as it sits. 3 5/8 to be more precise. So if that's a 3" unit, then the thickness of the top & bottom of the housing combined is well over 1/2 inch? Doesn't sound right.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Follow up: Just took the thing apart & measured it. It's 14" x 3 1/2" almost exactly. So a 14x3 would work just fine if I can find it ...

Called Summit and gave 'em the measurements - they have a 14x3 unit but it's white. Never seen a K&N that was white but hey, if it saves my hood then I'm in! I'll post a pic when I get the new one.

Last edited by SanDiegoPaul; 01-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Follow up: Just took the thing apart & measured it. It's 14" x 3 1/2" almost exactly. So a 14x3 would work just fine if I can find it ...

Called Summit and gave 'em the measurements - they have a 14x3 unit but it's white. Never seen a K&N that was white but hey, if it saves my hood then I'm in! I'll post a pic when I get the new one.
I thought they were white until you oil them with K&N's oil which is red.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Jegs and Summitt

Jegs shows a K&S 14" dia. x 2 13/16 ht.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1
Old 01-24-2009, 08:16 AM
74ZZ430
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N will custom make any height you want, I had mine made taller. I believe it was a $35 extra charge, that was a couple years ago. It did take several weeks to get though.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

one thing you can do, is get rid of the hood insulation. I took mine off a couple of years ago and wished I had done it sooner. I thought the insulation was to keep heat away from the hood....found out it was to muffle the engine sound. I have a drop base with a 3" filter and I have 1/2 clearance between the hood and the airfilter

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
djrammer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went throught the same thing you are experiencing. I used a K&N #23740 filter, which is a 2 inch high filter along with the K&N top, which is also a filter, part number C8003. A dropped base is also necessary to help achieve hood clearance. This combination has worked very well for me on a 72 small block.
These pieces are available through Summit or Jegs. I was fortunate as we have a speed shop in town and I know the owner. He was very knowledgable of this problem and helped me out with these 2 pieces. Approximately $200.00 for both.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Air Filters- need a shorter one

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filters- need a shorter one