C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dies at idle, Superb at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 PM
chevr0letman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies at idle, Superb at WOT

Yet another problem with my 75. I can drive for a day without any problems what so ever, and the next morning I will start my car and it will struggle to stay alive, i practically have to floor it to keep it alive, throw it in drive and keep giving it lots of gas so it wont die. But if I floor it, it will hesitate and stumble until it hits 4k and then no problems.

I thought it was a stuck metering rod in my edel. 1406 or maybe a stuck float or something like that, but i went through that carb 3 times and found nothing wrong.

So the next suspect is my HEI dist. which is stock delco crap.
Does this seem likely to be my problem?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Vexzer
5th Gear

Coil-to-distributor lead? Vacuum Leak? Is the choke free? WOT just hides it, check the basics. Good Luck.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

bad gas? does it do this all the time or just when cold? perhaps the choke (?) isnt working properly. have you looked intensely at your tach when it starts to die? is the needle still moving, or does it freeze in place when it starts to die?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Vexzer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by joshtried
tach ... or does it freeze in place when it starts to die?
What would cause it to freeze?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You say that sometimes you drive it and it seems fine and the next day it’s a struggle to keep running. So the problem is intermittent and it sounds to me like the car is loading up when it acts up! (This is probably why you went to the carb first).

Have you pulled the plugs out of the car to see what they look like after it acts up?
When the car is acting up have you tested to see if all 8 cylinders are firing?

As Vexzer said, are you sure the choke is working properly and not sticking, and have you tested the vacuum to see what it’s doing.

It's possible the plugs could be oil fouling from sitting over night, the choke could be sticking and so on, but you need to pull the plugs and see what they look like and this may steer you in the right direction.

It could be the module in the distributor causing this problem, but there are so many other factors that could also cause this. You have to treat this as a basic problem and eliminate the simple things first! I doubt it’s the pole piece since they usually fail all at one time and leave the car with a real unstable idle at all times if they are working at all.

Willcox Inc.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Wilcox that the symptoms, in general, do not point to a pole piece. But I did, at one time, have one go bad, with the same symptoms.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

the tach would "freeze in place" if the wires at the base of the distributor going to the module were messed up. at least that happened on my 79. because they were screwy, the car would act up at idle (no force pushing the wires into contact) and would be pretty much fine at WOT (speed pushed wires into proper contact). eventually it all out failed and needed to be replaced, and for this little set of wires i had to buy the whole distributor as they did not come with the module. at the same time though, my alternator light came on...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

As others have said, I'd check the plugs and replace them. Make sure the new plugs are gapped properly. No point putting old plugs back in. Likewise, might as well pull the coil have it checked at AutoZone. If you have a meter you can probably check the voltage going to the coil etc to make sure that's correct. Be careful was you don't want to get shocked when testing ignition stuff. New Dist. cap. (label the wires etc before pulling them off the cap) Ohm the plug wires out to make sure they are still good. I'd also check the fuel filter.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Next time it happens pull the air cleaner and look down the carb. You will most likely find a stuck choke or you will see fuel dripping in the carb. Sounds like its time for a rebuild on your carb.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 AM
chevr0letman
Advanced

tuns out it was distributor along with an exhaust leak that would shoot directly into my air cleaner and kill the engine. replaced junky delco dist with msd hei, replaced collector gasket and it runs 200% better than ever.

Thanks for all the input

Get notified of new replies

To Dies at idle, Superb at WOT

Quick Reply: Dies at idle, Superb at WOT