C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory AC replacements.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
BuddyM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Factory AC replacements.

Does anyone have info on running a newer style AC Compressor on a 1970 Factory Air car? I know Vintage Air has a complete system but would like to keep everything stock except the compressor.

Thx
Buddy
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a complete C4 serpentine system with late TPI C4 Nipendenso compressor. It works great. I have '69 style condensor, but I do have Late C3 orfice-tube style condensor.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which evaporator

Markdtn,
Are you using a 78-82 style evaporator setup with the C4 compressor? What kind of high pressure switch are you using? Is yours a cycling system? How did you control the engine fan? Any details you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
I'm putting together a TPI ('90 speed density with Camaro ECM) ZZ4 combo for my '70 (originally a factory air car, has most of the stock AC unit except compressor and lines). I have a C4 serpentine setup with a 96 Nippodenso compressor/lines/condensor I'd like to use.

Last edited by 1mpalss; 03-18-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: tech error
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1mpalss
Markdtn,
Are you using a 78-82 style evaporator setup with the C4 compressor? What kind of high pressure switch are you using? Is yours a cycling system? How did you control the engine fan? Any details you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
I'm putting together a TPI ('90 speed density with Camaro ECM) ZZ4 combo for my '70 (originally a factory air car, has most of the stock AC unit except compressor). I have a C4 serpentine setup with a 94 Nippodenso compressor/lines/condensor I'd like to use.
I have speed-density TPI with 7730 ECM so I control 1 fan with the ECM and 1 fan with a temp switch in the head. I am using the 78-82 evaporator and housing with 69-76 style inside box. You have to clearance the fan housing just a little or it hits the fender. I am using a cycling system with just a low pressure switch. I am using R12 refrigerant. I have been looking for a high pressure switch that fits a small R12 fitting on the hard line. Currently the ECM turns one fan on when it gets an a/c on signal because it is looking for a ground from the high pressure switch. Switch is normally closed with low/normal pressure. I tried factory lines, but couldn't find any that fit.

I ended up making custom lines. If you search my username and TPI conversion, you should find my tips on the conversion.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyM
Does anyone have info on running a newer style AC Compressor on a 1970 Factory Air car? I know Vintage Air has a complete system but would like to keep everything stock except the compressor.

Thx
Buddy
I just got an email from Ecklers about a new A6 compressor they now sell. Aparently someone has tooled it in aluminium and it's much lighter, maybe they also re-engineered the front seal so it doesn't weep oil like the old ones do by design. I have no knowledge on their quality.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGunn
I just got an email from Ecklers about a new A6 compressor they now sell. Aparently someone has tooled it in aluminium and it's much lighter, maybe they also re-engineered the front seal so it doesn't weep oil like the old ones do by design. I have no knowledge on their quality.
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-12-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Default 96 Condensor

I started fabbing-up the condensor assembly from a '96 C4. It is about the right size but the lines need to be bent to fit the C3 radiator core support. The condensor frame is screwed to some 1" flat aluminum strips. These strips bolt at the top and bottom in the original mounting holes. I haven't checked for hood clearance yet but I think it will be fine. I'm going to try to use the '96 compressor (with '90 C4 serpentine drive) and lines to the max extent possible. I'm also using my original AC box and the late C3 evaporator/drier assembly. I'll try to get some pics with the wife's camera and try posting them.
I'm doing this along with my engine/tranny swap and suspension rebuild. I should have it done by May 2009 - wait, is it July already!

Last edited by 1mpalss; 07-22-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Consider the Sanden. Mark, OHSIXX has the Sanden on a 72 & is happy w/ it. The first one I noticed w/ the Sanden.

I replaced the R4 compressor with a ND 6P (8.2 C.I. & similiar to Sanden 508 8.4 C.I.) which uses less HP & works great. Compressor, custom brackets & hoses to stock A/C system w/ R12.
http://ganeys.home.sprynet.com/77ACs.JPG

PS Most A6s are 12.6 c.i. except for Corvette & Corvair which used 10.8 c.i. models. R4 is about 10 c.i. & was also used in El Dorados, etc.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Sanden on my '71 454:

Old 03-18-2010, 01:57 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Default A/C experts chime in please

Evaporator box and evaporator from late 77 Vette combined with 70 blower box:

96 Vette Nippodenso compressor using 90 Vette serpentine drive assembly:

Old high speed blower relay, low speed resistor, low pressure and A/C connectors. Bubba has been busy!:

Now I have to determine the wiring required to make this setup work. I have a tan wire from the A/C controller in the car that runs to a low? pressure switch, then sends the signal out the green wire to the compressor clutch. The compressor clutch connector also has a black wire for ground.
The 96 compressor has a gray wire (light green in my picture because I'm using a pigtail from a different application) and a dark green wire:

I think the gray (lgt green in my case) is a ground of some sort and the dark green is the signal wire telling the compressor to come on. The drk green also tells the ECM the compressor is on. I think I need to get a high pressure switch from a C4 to provide the command signal for the compressor clutch to engage. My 70's tan wire will come into the C4 switch and the green wire will go to the compressor clutch -also tie that signal wire to my ECM (I think the ECM adjusts the idle and sends a fan-on signal to an electric fan when A/C is "on"). Any A/C experts out there to clarify/verify my theories?

Last edited by 1mpalss; 03-18-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a local corvette shop rebuild my AC system. All new parts, and the A6 compressor looks just like the original. Except it's new. I was able to get all new replacement parts, non 'reman' for my '76 with no problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM
chvet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sanden compresor with Alan Grove brackets on my '73. Changed to an acumulator evaporator from an '82. Then added a crossflow condensor with custom hard lines I made. Had a local sshop make the other lines. Changed the blower motor out to a C4 type. Added dual fans from a Ford Focus. One fan always on, the other controlled by a variabale thermostat. Charged with 134.
The system will put out 40 degree cold.
I tried it first without the new condensor, electric fans and C4 blower. It did not get below 60 degrees then.
Once the complete setup was done it's great but prior to that it was asweat box.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory AC replacements.

Quick Reply: Factory AC replacements.