C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under hood aerodynamics, et al...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by burners
Here's my diffuser. I know, it needs a fairing in the license plate area and my bolt heads suck but it's a prototype.

Yeh, I seen something like that before, probably yours, and I was looking at a C2 racer for sale, and in the rear I see a bunch of holes cut in the glass, makes me wonder about doing that<....IF...> I ever get around to painting my car.....

they look cool, different for sure, and MAY serve a slight purpose....

as for the under fairing....I dunno, too much work, and then there is the exhaust....:che ers:
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Found the info................

Here's the links:

http://www.fgreggracing.com/products.html

http://www.vanacorvette.com/page32.htm

http://www.vanacorvette.com/page24.htm

Has an Indy wing(rear) for 1968-1973 C3's
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Blue71vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by burners
Here's my diffuser. I know, it needs a fairing in the license plate area and my bolt heads suck but it's a prototype.

Your duffuser looks good. Have you tried adding some yarn tufts? Anything above 45 mph or so will provide a high enough Reynolds number to ensure it is working at higher speeds. Pay attention to the leading edge, mid panel and the trailing edge. If you have attached flow it is doing its job. The trailing edge tufts should over hang the end of the panel and under way they should turn up slightly.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue71vette
...Anything above 45 mph or so will provide a high enough Reynolds number to ensure it is working at higher speeds.
FYI, for those not familiar with the above term, the real point being made here is that if flow over and about the diffuser in question is still nice and smoothly streamlined (or laminar) at ~45 mph it is being assumed that flow won't become unstable or turbulent as velocities increase. IMHO, as long as you can grasp the basic concept that different shapes will exhibit different flow characteristics (be they laminar, turbulent or transitional) at given velocities, don't be too concerned with knowing what Reynolds numbers are (not to mention how to go about calculating them). Hope that preempts some serious head scratching out there.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 AM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Originally Posted by Can Am 1969
"There has been lots of comments about the C3 "nose rise" at high speed (~100 MPH). Most of these have been subjective reports about reduced directional control. I was wondering if the nose rise or weight shift has been quantified."
I suspect that this has been covered already: Corvette Fever May 2009 page 39 lists the "nose rise" of a stock 1970 C3 at 85 mph as 117 pounds of lift on the front wheels with the headlights down and 150 pounds of lift with the headlights up. With the headlights down the rear lift was 9 pounds. With the headlights up the rear did not lift but 14 pounds of downforce was observed. I presume that this means that the center of lift was higher than the center of gravity and the 150 pounds of front lift and 180 pounds of drag acted around the center of gravity to cause the rear downforce. What was interesting was the effect of headlights up. It increased the CDA (coefficient of drag x frontal area) from 8.69 to 9.73. I would think that a chin spoiler of approximate frontal area of the headlights at or below the center of gravity would product some front downforce. This would be a modest change. I wonder if we could get CF to run some tests with various C3 chin spoilers. I'm thinking of adding the pacecar option. Oh well, the C3 may not be the aerodynamic masterpiece but it "looks" fast and I don't drive much over 85 mph anyway.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey guys, you have given me a lot of in site tonight on what to start looking at in my quest of speeding up things a bit. Thank-you Doctorgene
Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Young69Owner;1568359689]The B-2 I think had a top speed of Mach 0.7. The first time you see one flying sideways, it looks like a dragon from a movie. They are ridiculous. If you want a supersonic/transonic bomber, you need to go with a B-1 (Mach 1.2).

Now retired, the F-111 would do Mach 2.3 (been there, done that) and carry 24 750 pounders at almost 600knots.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default flynhi....

were you a F-111 driver? I worked on F-15's at Holloman and F-117's. Most acft I worked with are now retired.( a couple the hard way. )Man, that makes me feel old! LOL! I would love to work on the F-22. That thing is amazing!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Does this mean I can't drive my '71 vert over 85mph, or I'll take off like a birdie?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eagle275
were you a F-111 driver? I worked on F-15's at Holloman and F-117's. Most acft I worked with are now retired.( a couple the hard way. )Man, that makes me feel old! LOL! I would love to work on the F-22. That thing is amazing!
F-111A 70-74
Linebacker II 72 - 63 missions in NVN.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:50 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default flynhi....

Thank you for your service. I also always admired the AArdvark! We were on alert when the 111 drivers gave a fly-by to Qaddafi. BTW, did you ever run into Gen. Steve Ritchie? I grew up right down the street from him, and would visit his parents when I was a teenager. We are members of the same church. Got to see him when he would stop by sometimes. Saw him speak a few times while I was on active duty(10yrs.)!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Richie was an F-4 driver so we didn't cross paths too often. His back seater (also an Ace) was a classmate of mine at USAFA,
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default flynhi

yes,I knew he flew F-4's,Triple Nickel.DeBellvue was his Wizzo,right?The General makes it to our Legion & VFW sometimes(his and my hometown). We recently had a nice Veterans' Memorial built(I helped with that) and had a place of honor for him, since he was the first USAF ace in Vietnam.I am also on the Veterans' Honor Guard.My brother was 2/75th Rangers, and I was 8thFS "Black Sheep".My dad was 11ACR(Amored Cav) in Vietnam(1966-1967).BTW,what year is your Vette?I have a '71 vert I bought while on active duty,Ontario Orange.People are really stunned when I tell how much I paid for it 25 years ago!LOL! I'm doing a resto on it now,should be done by fall.Man,what an experience!LOL!

Last edited by eagle275; 06-23-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Cowl induction and its relationship to this topic having arisen on a few recent occasions – specifically, whether or not a properly isolated cold air induction (CAI) box is necessary – I thought it appropriate to post a summation of my thoughts here...

Tho I haven't had the opportunity to measure the actual pressure differentials (∆P) involved here (have the instruments, but my "mule" is still out of service), tuft tests I've seen have shown that once ~30-35 MPH is reached there is typically enough pressure ahead of the windshield to overcome that under the hood. Non- and/or quasi-scientific observations to the contrary aside, should there be any pressure gain from the cowl without a CAI box, such additional pressure would add to that already below the nose of the car, resulting in additional lift.

Bottom line, since there's certainly no guarantee much, if any, cold air will find its way to the carb without proper isolation IMCO there's little point in (and perhaps good reason against) opening up the cowl sans box. In any event, it is my intention to get some real measurements of this stuff if I can ever afford to get my shark back on the road (donations to the cause graciously accepted).

TSW

Quick Reply: Under hood aerodynamics, et al...