C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hood Clearance

I searched for the thread that requested hood clearance info, but was utl. I also think it should become a sticky since it is a very common question.

Here is my **NO** fit situation:

1972 base hood w/sbc 383.
Edelbrock Performer RPM #7101
2.25 inch drop air cleaner base (Pro Form -66808 at Summit)
K&N- E 3740 air filter (2.313 inch)
K&N x-stream flow top-1401XP
Moroso solid steel motor mounts
Edelbrock 1806 AVS Carb

This combo does not work for me and to the best of my knowledge is as low as I can go. I also tried the stock steel air cleaner lid which is a little flatter than the K&N x-stream top. It was better, but not enough.

I'm kicking around installing a Weiand Street Warrior #8125c. I should have plenty of clearance with this intake. It should also allow me to use a larger 3 inch air cleaner element for better airflow. The motor runs great with the Edelbrock, but a guy has to have a hood. A new intake is the less expensive route.

Any comments, good or bad, on the Weiand Street Warrior?

Last edited by Brass Pass; 12-22-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could consider having the plenum on your existing intake machined down, but you have to be careful as this can really mess up the flow quick. I had mine machined 3/8"-1/2" cant' remember which, for hood clearance. That would be cheaper than a new intake, probably $50 if you pulled it off and cleaned it up first. Then another $20 for new gaskets and you are good to go.

Also, to know exactly what you need, take the lid off the air cleaner and maybe even the filter and use some playdo pillars to see how much you need. At least do the front of the air cleaner and the top both. Usually the rear and sides have a little more clearance.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Playdough pillars...now thats a good idea.

I did the playdough pancake in a plastic bag test. It failed miserably. I'll probably just purchase a new intake and sell the Edelbrock.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Rock'n Old
Instructor

I had the same problem with Edelbrock intake and a Barry Grant carb.
I found this low profile plenum from Spectre, and it works great.
What you don't see in this picture is the duct going from the airfilter to the front grill.
Spectre have all the things you need to build your own.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

R'n'O,

That looks sharp.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

i wonder if that would allow a dual plane intake to fit under a stock BBC hood.

the spectre website says that 2.4 inches of clearance is needed between the carb and hood to use that one so it would be close but i think it might work.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

What about the old Weiand "Stealth" intake? it was really low but had pretty decent sized runners. Supposedly it was good to 6500rpms. I am curious about this thread as well. I have a 71 SB hood and plan on keeping it. I will need a decent flowing, low profile intake as well....the Performer I am sporting now will be a turd on a decent motor....
Old 12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
MN81C3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rock'n Old
I had the same problem with Edelbrock intake and a Barry Grant carb.
I found this low profile plenum from Spectre, and it works great.
What you don't see in this picture is the duct going from the airfilter to the front grill.
Spectre have all the things you need to build your own.

Is this a kit or did you put it together with parts from the site. I looked at the Spectre Web Site and did not see a Covette listed. Like the look
Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
What about the old Weiand "Stealth" intake? it was really low but had pretty decent sized runners. Supposedly it was good to 6500rpms. I am curious about this thread as well. I have a 71 SB hood and plan on keeping it. I will need a decent flowing, low profile intake as well....the Performer I am sporting now will be a turd on a decent motor....
I had been planning on the Weiand Stealth until I saw the Weiand Warrior on their website. The Warrior can take either a square bore or spread bore carb. I prefer the flexability since I'm not completely sold on the Edelbrock 1806 AVS that I currently have on the motor. I know there are adapters, but the adapter is going to take clearance space.

For what it is worth... the Weiand website claims the Warrior intake was built with stroker motors in mind. It's way less expensive than a hood change would be for me.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
I had been planning on the Weiand Stealth until I saw the Weiand Warrior on their website. The Warrior can take either a square bore or spread bore carb. I prefer the flexability since I'm not completely sold on the Edelbrock 1806 AVS that I currently have on the motor. I know there are adapters, but the adapter is going to take clearance space.

For what it is worth... the Weiand website claims the Warrior intake was built with stroker motors in mind. It's way less expensive than a hood change would be for me.

Yeah I hear ya. I have not seen the Warrior intake yet. I might look into that also. Personally, I am a Holley guy myself. I do have a quadrajet on it right now but when I change motors, I will go to a Holley. Never liked those Carter style Edelbrocks.....

Whatever one you choose to go with, make sure the height it similar to and Edelbrock Performer on the front and rear of the carb pad. I KNOW these fit, I am running it with my stock dual snorkel air cleaner.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Edelbrock website has the following A (front) and B (back) heights listed:
Performer EPS - A= 3.74" B=4.80"
Performer - A=3.50" B=4.60"

Weiand website has the following A / B heights listed:
Warrior - A=3.50" B=4.50"

If the A/B measurements are taken the same way they are very close.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Edelbrock website has the following A (front) and B (back) heights listed:
Performer EPS - A= 3.74" B=4.80"
Performer - A=3.50" B=4.60"

Weiand website has the following A / B heights listed:
Warrior - A=3.50" B=4.50"

If the A/B measurements are taken the same way they are very close.

I just took a look at the Street Warrior, first time I have seen it. It basically looks like a Performer intake but MAYBE a little bigger ports. RPM range is the same idle to 5500. Not sure I am 100% impressed with that one.... I just couldn't see enough of a difference between that and a Performer. I would think on anything warmer then a stock 350 with a tiny cam, it would choke it.

Here is the old Stealth intake I was talking about. Its p/n 8016

Here is a link to it.....Not sure if Weiand is still making them though with the big "air gap" craze thats been going on the last 4-5 yrs.

http://www.performance-curve.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1073

I think it would be a decent intake for us 68-72 SBC stock hood vette guys with 400hp + or - motors....
Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

The new Stealth looks different than that one. New Stealth is listed as A=5.27" , B=4.19" which I think is too tall for the stock base hood.

I like the looks of that 8016 (A=4.18", B=4.50"). What Holley carb were you thinking of?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Ok, I took the plunge and ordered the Weiand "Stealth" intake #8016. I think this is the intake that will solve the problem. Thanks for the link and info.

Now I have to decide which carb. I'm leaning toward the Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm #083770.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Ok, I took the plunge and ordered the Weiand "Stealth" intake #8016. I think this is the intake that will solve the problem. Thanks for the link and info.

Now I have to decide which carb. I'm leaning toward the Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm #083770.

The only thing concerning me on the 8016 is the front height....The rear height is the same as a Performer, the front is about a 1/2" taller...I think if you run a 3" drop base air cleaner like a repro LT1 air cleaner, it will fit fine.

As for the carb, I almost ALWAYS use Holley 3310 vac sec. They just see to run good on anything and RARELY have I had a problem with them. I have one on a 454 in our GP and its been on there since 89'. I am sure the 770 SA would be a great carb although a little more expensive then the 3310. Depending on the drop base air cleaner you use, you MIGHT should think about a carb with no choke horn. That way if you have to run the deep drop base bottom, its gonna put the lid pretty close to the carb. If its a mild SB I doubt this will be a problem. Not sure what you are working with but....

Please post up pics and details on the 8016 intake install....

Good luck bro..

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Clearance

Quick Reply: Hood Clearance