C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 help with starting, turn signal, and heet.

My 78 dash lights for turn signal wont turn on either and alot of times when you turn the signal wont turn off. and...... I think its the starter but when you try to start it after its cooled down it will crank fast but when you drive it and then try to start it it will barley crank. And it still wont start without starter fluid. It doesnt get fuel to the carb. feel free to make fun of me for my spelling. Also after just a little bit of driving It gets hot as heck on your feet

Last edited by shank0668; 12-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

lol anyone?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by shank0668
My 78 dash lights for turn signal wont turn on either and alot of times when you turn the signal wont turn off. and...... I think its the starter but when you try to start it after its cooled down it will crank fast but when you drive it and then try to start it it will barley crank. And it still wont start without starter fluid. It doesnt get fuel to the carb. feel free to make fun of me for my spelling. Also after just a little bit of driving It gets hot as heck on your feet
Sounds like you've got three different problems;

1. cam on turn signal lever is worn
2. the starter
3. catalytic converters do cause heat buildup on the floor board...but I don't about hot as heck...check for a fire
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 AM
JustinD
Safety Car

I'm thinking the starter is suffering from heat soak. Mine use to do that with the stock exhaust. Once I put on wrapped headers I didn't have any problems.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Sounds like you've got three different problems;

1. cam on turn signal lever is worn
2. the starter
3. catalytic converters do cause heat buildup on the floor board...but I don't about hot as heck...check for a fire
Catalytic converters? I dont think mine has one anymore. We figured the turn signal lever. Also the starter too so thanks. How about bypassing the heater core?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
eta_78vette
Intermediate

Catalytic converters? I dont think mine has one anymore. We figured the turn signal lever. Also the starter too so thanks. How about bypassing the heater core?
it is the heater core, check the vacuum switch for leaks, or you can do a manual bypass. i still have to do this. but its cold here, and mine doesn't heat the drivers side that much. but during the summer the passenger is dieing of a heat stroke.

you should open a new thread on the heater core.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eta_78vette
it is the heater core, check the vacuum switch for leaks, or you can do a manual bypass. i still have to do this. but its cold here, and mine doesn't heat the drivers side that much. but during the summer the passenger is dieing of a heat stroke.

you should open a new thread on the heater core.
thanks! Ok heres a little better description of what happens when you try to start. When you turn the key it will keep turning over and i took the fuel line off and no gas comes out. fuel pump? lines?

Get notified of new replies

To 78 help

Quick Reply: 78 help