C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Thin" ? motor mounts.............

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Thin" ? motor mounts.............

Hey guys, been working on installing the hooker sidepipes this weekend and the drivers side pipes are snug against the frame. Got them tightened up to the block okay, but they hit the bottom of the frame where they cross under the frame !

I've seen some threads about "thin" motor mounts, but have not seen any part numbers or where to buy them. I need to lower the motor at least a quarter of an inch. Can anyone help me out ??? Rick

Last edited by 454Can-Am; 12-07-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

If you have raised port heads this is not uncommon.

I actually shimmed my passenger side up to raise the right side header and lower the left. That got just enough clearance on both sides.

Had to put in poly mounts to get it stiff enough that the headers would not hit when the motor tourqed over.

Looks like you probably want to check these out:

http://www.tdperformance.com/products/?id=3293
Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

Frank, Thanx for the reply. I've got a set of solid motor mounts, but had decided not to use them............. don't wanna shake the car apart ! I guess I'll have to check into the poly mounts for the reason you suggest. This vette is a small block with high performance aluminum heads............ I don't think they are raised port though.

I really need to put them on my big block vette also, being as she rattles the pipes against the rocker panels when I crack down on it ! Rick
Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by 454Can-Am
Hey guys, been working on installing the hooker sidepipes this weekend and the drivers side pipes are snug against the frame. Got them tightened up to the block okay, but they hit the bottom of the frame where they cross under the frame !

:
I have the identical problem. The pass side has adequate clearance but one of the drivers side pipes is right up against the frame. I was going to try to "tweek" the pipe down 1/4" with some kind of a lever. I never thought of shimming one side. Good one!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Personally I'd go with the solid mounts without hesitation for a stout motor.

If you are running side pipes you probably are not terribly concerned with having a smooth/quiet ride.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tim_Ko
I was going to try to "tweek" the pipe down 1/4" with some kind of a lever.
Short of taking a torch to the pipes I don't think you can tweak them without denting the pipes. I did try applying a good bit of force (short of denting them) with no effect. Mine are coated so the torch was a no-no.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
bahamasair
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its been my experience that its a myth that solid mounts increase vibrations to any noticeable degree.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank_833
Personally I'd go with the solid mounts without hesitation for a stout motor.

If you are running side pipes you probably are not terribly concerned with having a smooth/quiet ride.

Thanx Frank............................... solid motor mounts it is !!! I've got them, so I might as well use them. I measured them and they are 1/2" thinner than the rubber ones I've got in there now. Never had the car running yet, but with sidepipes and a pete jackson drive gear................................. it's gonna be kickin' !!!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:55 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in a ZZ4 with poly mounts and hooker sidepipes and they also hit the frame. I left the header bolts loose and mounted the side pipes to the frame first then thightened up the header bolts and the fit was better. With the new mounts and the side pipes the engine does not rock at all when you get on it. Becareful if you use thinner mounts that the drive pulley does not hit the cross member up front. Mine is very close. Also I would change the header bolts to smaller (3/8" hex) bolts so you can get a socket in there, I went with a copper gasket after the supplied ones burned out when the bolts lossened up a little.
Good luck with it.
Dave

Last edited by mooneyd; 12-09-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To "Thin" ? motor mounts.............

Quick Reply: "Thin" ? motor mounts.............