C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Lifter differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Solid Lifter differences

Solid lifters range from like 85 bucks for a set of crane solid lifters to 190 bucks for a set of isky lifters?

Is there really features that are worth 100 bucks?

The isky lifters that are 191 bucks apparently have some form of an increased oiling system

For $140 bucks crower will provide specially oiling at the lifter face.

Last edited by Guru_4_hire; 12-05-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
VetteLS6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a solid lifter person and have always used either GM or Herbert Cams Lifters with no issues at all. Chet Herbert makes his own as well cams at a cheap price, I think his son Doug just markets Chets stuff on his site here is a good link for the lifters: http://www.dougherbert.com/liftersso...021c20198e4f63
If you call Chet or Doug they can have a cam ground for your application and with Lifters they run around $130.00.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have run a few sets of Comp Cams solid lifters on the last few cams. They run about 80 bucks or so. Never had any problem with them.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a visible difference in the quality and weight of the different levels of lifters,for example place a four dollar replacement OEM style lifter next to a thirty dollar Nascar racing lifter.In theory the EDM oiling hole in the lifter face might work if it doesn't get plugged,I can't say if it is worthwhile paying the extra money though for a street or drag engine,they just don't see that much high(7500+) sustained RPM.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I built a small block with a solid cam, I used Melling lifters. I drove the absolute SCHNITZEL out of that car ('56 Bel Air) for almost 5 years and never had an issue with them.

I had 4:56 gears in the ***-end of it, and used 8500 RPM shift points when I raced. She never broke and never complained.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

There is DEFINITELY a difference in lifters out there. You just can't find the lifters of the old days. The old *Johnson* lifters were the best and have been discontinued. There are some folks that ratholed a few sets that can be had sometimes. Those were the GM ones too. There are tons of Chinese ones out there that are causing a lot of the flat tappet cam issues. It's NOT all just the oil. COMP is offering *Johnson Style* lifters...not sure who makes them. I would definitely use the ones with the EDM oiling to help out. Crower has a good reputation with them as well as Isky. Don't cheap out here for sure. You can move up to the serious ones from PBM or a few others...but that's NASCAR territory and cost a LOT. You might use the Comps with the hardened face insert.

Whatever you do,,use brand name...don't go generic. Make SURE they turn/spin in the bores when the engine turns over. They HAVE to spin or any of them will die quickly.

JIM
Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLS6
I'm a solid lifter person and have always used either GM or Herbert Cams Lifters with no issues at all. Chet Herbert makes his own as well cams at a cheap price, I think his son Doug just markets Chets stuff on his site here is a good link for the lifters: http://www.dougherbert.com/liftersso...021c20198e4f63
If you call Chet or Doug they can have a cam ground for your application and with Lifters they run around $130.00.
Good link! Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 02:07 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Johnson were discontinued then rebooted about 4 years back as "HyLift" "Topline" Johnson ... I know that was well after the "lifeter shortage". I KNOW they were mfg in Muskegon but understand they were to also mfg in Florida. Presently, I cannot KNOW if they're still producting anywhere.

I ran the solids w/ EDM oil hole in face in a circle track sbc ... works GREAT! FYI, there is a TINY loss of oil pressure ... almost negligible ... don't sweat it. I got those lifters from "Competition Products" ... their holed house brand were about $90 when crower etc were ~ $125-150.

closer look at op loss: there was a greater RATE of loss at very low rpm ... where ct spend very little time ... I suggest if you were to run holed lifters in a street motor, that you should also run a hi volume pump.

Last edited by jackson; 12-07-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Fortunately I have the hi volume adjustable oil pressure pump covered.
http://www.titanspeed.com/content/pump/index.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Solid Lifter differences

Quick Reply: Solid Lifter differences