C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Pipe Muffflers Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Droshki
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Here's a link to some good blower carb info.

I bought my speed demons on closeout from Summit and converted the power valve circuits myself. It's a DIY mod or a carb shop can do it for you.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/tec...d-engines.html
Very interesting. I am glad that someone more knowledgeable than myself chimed in on this. I was under the impression that no mods were necessary unless it was a blow through type. I guess I am going to have to consider this even though Ive never had any problems. My carb is sitting on my dining room table, freshly rebuilt, so I guess now is the time, if I am going to do it. Weird, wonder how Ive gotten away without it?

What do you think about the jet extensions discussed later in that page? The ones that holley is selling are plastic push on and look pretty flimsy to me.

Last edited by Droshki; 12-03-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by waycool
I see that Z Man is running non power assist brakes with that beast. Is stopping an issue?
It takes about the same effort to stop a 700hp car from 100mph as stopping a 300hp car from 100mph.
Although I can easily lock up all four tires with my current setup, I'll probably upgrade to a set of aftermarket brakes and rotors.

Originally Posted by Droshki
Very interesting. I am glad that someone more knowledgeable than myself chimed in on this. I was under the impression that no mods were necessary unless it was a blow through type. I guess I am going to have to consider this even though Ive never had any problems. My carb is sitting on my dining room table, freshly rebuilt, so I guess now is the time, if I am going to do it. Weird, wonder how Ive gotten away without it?
Theoretically, you wouldn't have to modify your carb if you used an enclosure. These allow non-blower carbs to be used in a blow-through application.
Link to Paxton Enclosure

Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Droshki
Pro

Yah I got a roots though, so I guess I need to do this. One must assume then that my power valve has been doing nothing all this time.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yah I got a roots though, so I guess I need to do this. One must assume then that my power valve has been doing nothing all this time.
Oh yeah...whoops! Nevermind.....:o
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im bumping this to the top as I would like to see more opinions from members, especially since the Spiral Tubes are twice the price of the Sweet Thunders. And yes, I'm talking 500HP application.

So stay away from hooker inserts alltogether?

Are the Spirals worth twice the cost as the Sweet Thunders?

My old set must have had Hooker glasspakcs in them, but they were quite harsh, and sounded too tame at idle.

I'm looking for a deeper, throatier sound like this: http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSCN0464.flv
This is my car with the STS baffles. I cut the caps off. The motor is a 700+hp 565. They're really loud, I'll probably have to weld new caps on and drill the new caps to about 3/4"... I've tried taking video inside the car, but the camcorder keeps saying 'Recording Failure'. Not sure if its because of vibration, g-forces, or what. Everytime I accelerate, the recording dies

Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Droshki
Pro

I like it!

I think I am going to try the hooker max-flows though. Several people have reported quite favorably on those.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Ther was a member, I think it was ZL1Power that ran Maxflow vs open headers on the dyno and showed no power loss at all. Believe it was a 600+ Hp big block. Maxflow was my choice.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 PM
macomac
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the black hooker headers and side pipes. They have been on my car for 17 years now. I tried to pull the mufflers out and it appears they do not come out. Have you ran across this?

Quick Reply: Side Pipe Muffflers Questions....