C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Gauge stopped working ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM
454vet
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Gauge stopped working ....

Before I pull out the gauge council what can I expect to find as to why the gauge stopped working? An oil glob? Electrical? Spring loaded? Replace the gauge? Kicked supply line? Best way to trouble shoot? The pressure didn't weaken or slow down .... just stopped working. Checked pressure at the block ... pleanty of pressure. Had replaced the plastic tubing several years ago because it hardened and broke. Appreciate your input. Tom
Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

It's a mechanical gage on 71'. Check for a kinked or plugged line, not much else to go wrong.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
It's a mechanical gage on 71'. Check for a kinked or plugged line, not much else to go wrong.
Inside the gauge are 2 gears and if something gets in between the gears it will stop the gauge from reading.The movement can also lock up due to grime.Take the gauge out and clean it gently and it will probably work again.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Inside the gauge are 2 gears and if something gets in between the gears it will stop the gauge from reading.The movement can also lock up due to grime.Take the gauge out and clean it gently and it will probably work again.
Mine didn't work when I got the car (71 LS5). Took it apart and found it very gummed up. a bit of careful cleaning had it back to working in no time.

Just be careful removing the gauge cluster. The gauge support panel is made of pot metal and can break easily if mishandled.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Gauge stopped working ....

Quick Reply: Oil Gauge stopped working ....