C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't remove oil filter

Well it has been a while since I have posted on here. I have been involved with fixing up my house and spending time with my son, I haven't had a lot of time to use the Vette. But anyway I have started to use it again, which leads me to my post. I changed the oil the other day, and when I went to remove the oil filter it would not budge. To make a very long and embarasing story short it is now completely destroyed, however still on there. I have bent and cut and distroyed the actual housing, it is barely hanging on. the top peice that sits against the engine is still there. Does anyone have any tips for me where I go from here?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

2 possibilities - (1) Some filters have threaded holes at the top of the filter inner frame. You can insert two bolts for lateral leverage. (2) I have a large set of Channel Locks that have never failed me.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,254 Likes on 972 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is there enough left to put a strap wrench on it? PG.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
tnovot
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
2 possibilities - (1) Some filters have threaded holes at the top of the filter inner frame. You can insert two bolts for lateral leverage. (2) I have a large set of Channel Locks that have never failed me.
If that doesn't work, try tapping a large screwdriver or chisel at an angle on the surface below the gasket with a hammer.
And when you finally get it off and are ready to install a new one, remember to hand tighten only - don't tighten with a filter wrench.
Terry
Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Matt O
Racer

Originally Posted by jaybird81
Well it has been a while since I have posted on here. I have been involved with fixing up my house and spending time with my son, I haven't had a lot of time to use the Vette. But anyway I have started to use it again, which leads me to my post. I changed the oil the other day, and when I went to remove the oil filter it would not budge. To make a very long and embarasing story short it is now completely destroyed, however still on there. I have bent and cut and distroyed the actual housing, it is barely hanging on. the top peice that sits against the engine is still there. Does anyone have any tips for me where I go from here?
If all else fails pull the housing off and take your Channel Locks and catch the edge just below the gasket and pry the edge down around as much of the top piece as possible. Then try the large screwdriver. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 PM
V77Vette
Instructor

when you do get it off
put some oil on the gasket of the new one so it will not stick next time
Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Can you get to it with a long punch or chisel????? Get'er done
(lefy loosey, righty tighty)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

that's happened to me me. before the housing itself was destroyed i drove a punch through it and used that to twist it off
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case no one else has said it, only turn the new filter "hand tight" when installing, and use oil on the seal. Even when I do that the filter is sometimes difficult to get off.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Worst case scenario is you have to completely remove the tin housing and paper element, leaving the "spud" screwed in the crankcase. You then use a small pipe wrench or channel locks to un-screw it. This is as bad (and messy) as it can get. Sounds like you're almost there already. The biggest reason for stuck oil filters is not over tightening, but failure to lube the gasket. A thin layer of clean grease works better than oil if the time between changes is long.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

I use anti-seize on my oil filter gasket.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM

Large channel locks should do it, next time wipe oil on the filter seal (as stated above)and have the engine warm before you remove the filter. ( turn anti-clockwise off)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would install oil filters AS SPECIFIED. Hand tight is NOT right. Most filters say to tighten 3/4 to 1 turn after contact of the gasket.

On my SRT-10, the torque is specified at 13.5 ft-lb, much tighter than hand tight. The Viper filter is about the same size and has similar threads as that on a Chevy V8 so I'd expect its assembly torque to be similar - much tighter than hand tight.

An oil filter falling off due to being too loose is a VERY bad thing.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If you have the whole filter broken out, then you will be able to see the bolt that holds the filter adapter into the block. Remove the whole assembly and you can have it on your bench to work on ... much easier.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Just an FYI......, K&N Oil Filters have a 1 inch bolt head welded to the filter for easy removal. I haven't had to use an oil filter wrench in a long time. Please folks......, don't start another "which filter is better/best" thread here..... Baldwin, NAPA, AC Delco are all great and Fram is awful etc.. etc.....
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
WillEE
Pro

Originally Posted by Jims66
Just an FYI......, K&N Oil Filters have a 1 inch bolt head welded to the filter for easy removal. I haven't had to use an oil filter wrench in a long time. Please folks......, don't start another "which filter is better/best" thread here..... Baldwin, NAPA, AC Delco are all great and Fram is awful etc.. etc.....
Good Call - I ran into the above situation once before and spent 1/2 day removing the mangled mess. Now I try to use the K&Ns due to the "nut" on them. The way I finally got this mangled filter off was by using an old leather belt (a strap wrench wouldn't fit). I strapped the belt around it and pulled on the end of it like a *****. Worked great and I've kept that belt ever since in my tool box.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Five-spot
Advanced

There is a company(Lisle, Ithink) that makes a filter wrench with a leverage system on the bottom that tightens down on the filter (the harder you pull, the tighter it gets) I've had good luck getting stubborn ones off with this, and you don't wind up with a puddle of oil on the floor like you tend to if you drive a screwdriver or a punch through the filter.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't remove oil filter

Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jims66
Ummmmm........Fram sucks!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinBBC
Ummmmm........Fram sucks!

oh oh......, it's starting
Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Ray/aka/Pa
Instructor

Default When all else fails

I have had issues like that before on other vechicles, where you can't get the oil filter off and you can't get the oil filter wrech you need to fit in very tight places. This might still work for you also with the filter mangled. Take your oil filter wrench and put it in a vice to bend/ twist it where you can actually get it up on what ever filter you have left hanging to the motor. I have one I use everytime I change the oil in my wife's truck. I use a little grease on the gasket when putting the new filter back on too, everytime. When you do that, though, the gasket will stick to the block when removing the old filter, but it comes off easily. When the gasket is not on the filter when you remove it, it will be stuck to the block. It did not disappear . I keep a little acid brush in a grease container for just that purpose too. I always tighten them up {bear paw} hand tight, and then about a 1/4 turn after that.

Have a great day,
Ray

Quick Reply: Can't remove oil filter