C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install trailing arm bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Install trailing arm bolt

how do you apply force to push the new trailing arm bolt through the frame and TA?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM
sgm2004
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dburgjohn, make sure TA hole is lined up use a punch from the outside. Push through bolt with needle nose (or the fishing line thing) inboard through TA. If it binds use a crowbar the angled end agains the bolt head and a hammer to tap it through. This is what I did but I will not mention my mistake with the shims. Hope this helps.

sgm
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had some one hold the trailing arm up, and i was able to get my hand up there and pushed it through. some real long needle nose pliers would also work.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It usually takes 6 hands, both feet and quite a few bad words. the hole in the t/a can be off in 4 directions and the shims off in 6 more. And then on top of that, you can't get to the bolt to push it thru.
I used a long punch that I bent so it'd fit from the outside, got the outer shims and t/a sort of lined up, then put the inner shims in and got the bolt started thru them, then shook the beejeebers out of the whole thing and the bolt slid right in. I had painted everthing in sight with anti-seize too so it was really slick and gooey. I got both sides done- from my elbow to my hand I could have passed for the Tinman from OZ.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Originally Posted by another-user
i had some one hold the trailing arm up, and i was able to get my hand up there and pushed it through. some real long needle nose pliers would also work.
I admit to being a big guy but I don't see any hole a hand of any size could fit through. How? Where?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a new trailing arm bolt that was too large in diameter to make it though the hole. I discovered this after spending an hour trying to push it through with the trailing arm in the car. I finally took the trailing arm out and tried to push the bolt through, and it took a tremendous amount of force to get it in. I tried the other new bolt and it was like butter. I used long handled needle nose pliers and my skinny then 17 year old step son. This method took about five minutes.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
I admit to being a big guy but I don't see any hole a hand of any size could fit through. How? Where?
excellent question... i have no idea. i think i just shoved my hand into the biggest opening i could find.

now that i think about it, i think i did that at the very end after i got the bolts in half way. if i remember correctly, i think i took the biggest vice grips i could find and clamped down on the head of the bolt, then snaked the whole thing up there and started it through the whole that way. i was still able to hit the vice grips to help force the bolt into the hole.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by TimAT
I used a long punch that I bent so it'd fit from the outside, got the outer shims and t/a sort of lined up, then put the inner shims in and got the bolt started thru them,
I run the bolt through, then add the shims...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM
silver 76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that a few yrs. ago and rember taping the bolt to a paint stick just to hold it.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Default 1st part

I now believe the driver's side TA bolt to be the first part that went on the assembly line. Everything else was put on on top of it.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Droshki
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fishing line?

Would somebody please explain the "fishing line thing"?

Sounds like a bit of knowledge that might come in handy some day.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just started pulling apart my rear suspension, but I've read about what a pain the T/A bolt can be. After looking at the bolt, I bought a pair of these 15" locking pliers from my local Harbor Freight store. They sell 20-inchers on line. For 9 bucks, it's worth a shot...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97609
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
I now believe the driver's side TA bolt to be the first part that went on the assembly line. Everything else was put on on top of it.
That's funny
Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

It's been awhile since I did this but I was able to get the tip of the bolt started in the hole at an angle with my fingers. I then used a long screwdriver to push on the head until it lined up and would push through. This wouldn't have worked if I didn't have the trailing arm supported on a jack and pretty well lined up in advance. I used my other hand to keep the trailing arm stable on the jack because it wanted to twist. I made small adjustments in height and angle with the jack until the bolt slid into place. I did this solo and it actually worked very well. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Droshki: you can do a search on the fishing line thing to read the 'how to', if you haven't already.

The method Les used to line up and draw the bolt through is what worked for me too. I had a pair of the stainless steel reproduction bolt kits and as TimAT suggested, painted liberally with anti-seize to help keep the steel bushing insert in the TA from rusting.

The stainless alone should avoid what most of us encounter when performing the disassembly of the TA from the frame with the hardened steel bolt GM used. I don't think I'm alone describing what a PIA they are/were to remove once rusted in.

Unless you have the convenience of a frame off restore, this job is not for the faint of heart, just one of perseverance. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Install trailing arm bolt

Quick Reply: Install trailing arm bolt