C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM C3 Alignment specs vs Performance specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM C3 Alignment specs vs Performance specs

I thought this would be an interesting post and maybe a good resource for people ready for alignments:

I got burned by not having a performance alignment specsheet with me on my last alignment and got a front positive camber set-up (like GM OEM.)
I'll remember next time I go in to bring the performacnce alignment specs with me.

GM specs datasheet at Autozone of all places:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Compared to Performance listings at:

Guldstrand:
http://www.guldstrand.com/alignment.asp

Van Steel -download catalog pg
http://www.vansteel.com/

VBP
http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm
Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Excellent topic. Alignment has such an impact on the driving experience. However many bits one may install in the name of improved handling, if the alignment isn't setup accurately with appropriate settings then optimum performance simply cannot be achieved.

IMHO, alignment should be treated as a precision process, so make certain that's understood before anyone touches your Vette's suspension. Always take a written copy of the exacting specs you believe are correct for you and don't be afraid to be a PITA over verifying the work is done to those specs. Also, it's a real good idea to make sure the mech doing the actual work understands how to adjust your camber struts (stock or aftermarket), rear toe (if necessary), spreader bar (if present) and the like, as suspension work is nowhere to have Bubba devising his own methods. If a shop has a problem with any of this, without question you ought best to go somewhere else.

Whatever set of specs you select, by keeping an eye on tire wear (a pyrometer will give indications before anything becomes visible) you will get a fairly good idea if there are any tweaks you should make which might better suit you.

Last, but not least, you don't have to have a bunch of fancy (read, "expensive") equipment to yield professional results, making DIY alignment an entirely feasible concept.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Does tire width affect any of the specs listed?

I assume I would be using the VBP sheet, seeing as that is the suspension package I have.

However, my wheels are not stock. i am running 11.5 inch wide wheels in the rear, and 9.5 inch wide wheels in the front.

Would that affect my camber adjustments?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Tire and wheel width is a factor in the alignment settings, but really a minimal one.

The newer tires seem to like negative camber, but you don't need a lot of negative camber for the street. I always try to get as much caster as possible into the car and make sure that both sides are equal. That gives me straight line stability.

Richard Newton
How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982

Wheel and Tire Performance Handbook
Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
Does tire width affect any of the specs listed?

I assume I would be using the VBP sheet, seeing as that is the suspension package I have.

However, my wheels are not stock. i am running 11.5 inch wide wheels in the rear, and 9.5 inch wide wheels in the front.

Would that affect my camber adjustments?
The aspect ratio is a big factor. My front 295/35/17 tires have very little side wall flex. So it requires less neg camber to keep the tire flat on the surface going around a turn. You also have to factor in total spring rate. I have found .62 neg camber to give me even across the face tire temps in track testing on slicks and when I change to street tires pretty even tire ware
Old 11-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do your own alignment it's not such an issue - you can change it at will. Takes me less than an hour to do the front and that's at piddling pace and tripple checking everything.

The back is a PITA when the toe needs to be adjusted.

You can get alignment tools at summit/jegs or pretty much any race shop. Expect to spend $150-$200.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank_833
If you do your own alignment it's not such an issue - you can change it at will. Takes me less than an hour to do the front and that's at piddling pace and tripple checking everything.

The back is a PITA when the toe needs to be adjusted.

You can get alignment tools at summit/jegs or pretty much any race shop. Expect to spend $150-$200.
Seeing as it would likely cost that same amount to take it to a shop to get all four wheels done, this might be the rought I go.

Kinda dumb question....but what all tools would I need? I assume some sort of micro measuring device, or something?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a tool called 'SmartCamber' purchased from Summit a couple years ago that I use to check camber, caster, and toe. I had to fabricate a 'toe bar' to attach to the opposing wheel which was a simple affair. There are other devices out there that all do basically the same thing. Aligning any car is basically simple geometry, and once you have tools for taking measurements such as the one I just mentioned all you need is a LEVEL surface and you can do an acceptable job at home as long as you have thoroughly familiarized yourself with how to make the various adjustments. The front end of a C3 Vette is standard GM with nothing fancy while the rear is of course unique to the Corvette and moderately tricky to get aligned properly, mostly because of the difficulty involved in changing shims on either side of the trailing arm front attachments. Of course you can rationalize that it's easier to pay someone to do it for you (and maybe even cheaper) but once you have the tools you can do it YOURSELF, FOREVER. AND you might even get so good at it that you can charge people to do it for THEM! I don't know how many alignments I've paid people to do for me over the years but I think I can honestly say that I've only truly managed to get one done right. For some reason properly setting alignment is a task that seems to evade the capabilities of most modern repair shops these daze, and "set the toe and let it go!" is the mantra that most of them live by. BTW, I think a SmartCamber with the toe attachments goes for about $200.00 these days- money well spent IMHO.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

....but what all tools would I need? I assume some sort of micro measuring device, or something?
I have this model with the toe kit. But have recently upgraded to 18" wheels so expect I will need a new one. There is a different model of the same for 17-22 inch wheels.

There are also magnetic ones, but that won't do you much good if you have aluminum wheels.

I have a laser set for the karts we race and it is SWEET. Can do complete toe/caster/camber adjustment on both sides in 10 minutes. But it won't work on a car
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank_833
I have this model with the toe kit. But have recently upgraded to 18" wheels so expect I will need a new one. There is a different model of the same for 17-22 inch wheels.

There are also magnetic ones, but that won't do you much good if you have aluminum wheels.

I have a laser set for the karts we race and it is SWEET. Can do complete toe/caster/camber adjustment on both sides in 10 minutes. But it won't work on a car
Sweet.

Changing the camber is easy in the front and back, with the smart struts. Toe is another story, of course...but I figure, it's not like I'll be changing that a lot, even if I track it. At least, not on the rear tires. I figure it'll cost me 200.00 bucks to get a decent alignment done anyway so.....I mean, seriously?

Why pay that, when I can get my aligment done by me, AND have a cool tool to boot?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

rim width and offset have a pretty large impact on scrub radius
Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Why pay that, when I can get my aligment done by me, AND have a cool tool to boot?
That is generally the boat I'm in as well. Plus, you know it's done your way. And if you want to try a few different settings it's not a $$$ issue.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
ccs96
Pro

St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Found it here also:http://www.streetunit.com/SPC_CAMBER...18_p/91000.htm

124.68 + free shipping!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Frank_833
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ccs96
Found it here also:http://www.streetunit.com/SPC_CAMBER...18_p/91000.htm

124.68 + free shipping!
You probably want the toe adapters as well (they bolt to this unit).
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 PM
ALEXARAS
5th Gear

THAT IS A GREAT TOPIC.
I am working on my set-up according to all your comments and I will let you know asap.

Alexis
Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

When Shoping for an alignment shop You should be looking for somebody who dose Track Days himself. If You go to a local Autocross or Track Day and ask around You will hear from those who know. What ever You do You should't start price shoping for a good deal You should find out what the Hourly rate is and pay it. If You go threw all your suspension Ajustments and have then Free and working before You take it in it will be money saved. Be sure to take some Vette Trailing arm Shims with You as You can't exspect them to stock them for a 30 Year old Car.

Get notified of new replies

To GM C3 Alignment specs vs Performance specs

Quick Reply: GM C3 Alignment specs vs Performance specs