C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 12:11 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members!

Carb listing of available carbs and their status updated on 3-17-02.

Update as of 3-15-02:
Another one of our carbs was donated to a needy Forum member. I'd like to thank John Harken for letting one of our members have his '75 Q-Jet for a worthy cause.
I have received several more carbs and parts carbs from our Forum members for the Loaner/Donor program - I have yet to catalog them all in on the availability list, so if you don't see your donation listed, don't be alarmed. I'll get the list updated just as soon as I can. In the meantime, your carb is identified with your name and address, so I do know whos stuff is whos. Thanks again to everyone who has supported this effort - it has really helped a bunch of our members out so far.

Update as of 2-26-02:
We just donated one of the Loaner Carbs to a needy Forum member who had been sold an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser carb as a "Vette" carb. Complete with falsified carb number stamping and Bubba mods. I'd like to thank Gary White who donated the '74 Vette carb to the Cause.
We keep getting more carbs in, and I haven't had a chance to go through the new arrivals yet. Thanks to all who have given so generously to this effort. Right now, we have 3 carbs out on loan to Forum members to help them out with their problems and tuning efforts.

Update as of 2-18-02:
We now not only have some great carbs to offer (2 are now loaned out and making the "circuit"), but we just had a Forum member send out a point-style, Vette tach-drive distributor for use as a loaner. I still need to set it up, rebuild it, put a curve kit in it, and freshen it up with a good set of points, but it is available virtually any time if anyone needs to borrow a good-running distributor.

Update as of 1-27-02:
As of 1-27-02, we have 3 more carbs ready to go.
I'll keep posting updates on the loaner carbs here....

Some great contributions from the Forum members, and we have some really good carbs to offer. Several of these are ready to go, and others will be prepped and checked out as people want to borrow them. We also will have a couple of distributors (point-style) coming in to the Program, and these will be set up and tested with a really cool curve for some great performance - let me know if you're interested in trying one of these out. Here's what we have right now:

1. 1968 Q-Jet #7028212 - 1968 327/350 A/T - Jetted 71/46/AN Carb has Ported vac, PB vac, accessory vac, AT vac, divorced choke. Really runs good with nice cold-start, good idle, and brutal WOT. In stock and ready to go after being returned from its first "mission."

2. Holley - General application List #80508-1 Model 4160 Vac Secondaries 750 cfm. Dual inlet chrome fuel line supplied with the carb. In Stock. Loaned out as of 2-22-02.

3. 1979 Q-Jet #17058204 - Vette L-82 Hi Perf A/T. Jetted 76/52/CH. All vac accessories, converted to electric choke using the choke off of carb #8. Rebuilt by Holley. Loaned out as of 2-18-02 with 2-week expected turn-around.

4. 1971 Q-Jet # 1754923 - 1971 350 GM Truck. This carb has been jetted and set up to be interchangeable with a 1971 Vette carb, and is jetted 74/43/BA. Completely rebuilt with all new components, new choke pulloff, and test run on my car. In stock. Ready to ship.

5. 1974 Q-Jet #7044223 - Vette/Chevelle 454 Jetted 74/40/DH. Ported vac, AT vac, fuel vapor vac, PB vac. A little messed up from a commercial rebuild - runs, but has a poor idle. Best for use as a good parts carb.

6. 1975 Q-Jet #7045229 - 1975 350 Chevy/GMC Truck Jetted 66/36/BG. All vac asccessories. Divorced Choke. Donated to needy Forum member after being rebuilt, set up, and test-driven to assure some pretty fun performance.

7. 1973-74 Q-Jet #7043250 - 1973-74 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350. Has straight-in fuel inlet. Needs rebuild & setup.

8. 1975 Q-Jet #7045183 - 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350. Has straight-in fuel inlet. Electric choke unit has been donated/loaned to carb#3. Needs rebuild & setup.

9. 1968 Q-Jet # 7028212 - Chevy 327/350 Jetted 71/46/AN. Divorced choke. This carb is identical to #1 above, and will be the backup carb to #1 due to the universal application of the '68 carbs. Needs rebuild & setup. Update as of 3-16-02: We may be donating this carb to a needy Forum member after I coordinate this with the carb owner.

10. Holley - General application List #6619-1 Model 4160 Vac Secondaries 600 cfm. Rebuilt but needs checkout prior to shipment.

11. Point-style tach drive distributor. Needs rebuild and setup, but available any time somebody needs it. inquire.

12. 1977 Q-Jet for Califonia 350 Vette. Hot air stove choke. Completely rebuilt and correctly set up. Tested and run on my car - runs great. Belongs to Forum Member "The Dude." Loaned out as of 3-17-02 with 3-week expected return.

I have also received some great parts and components for use when rebuilding Forum member carbs. Forum members are receiving these parts at no cost whenever needed, so it's a great deal for everyone.

Original Post:
After seeing a lot of our Forum members struggling with various performance and drivability issues, I put out a call to those who have any spare/junk Q-Jets laying around to donate the stuff to the Forum "Carb Depository." A few of you stepped up to the call, and have sent me some really good stuff.

"Flareside" sent me not one, but THREE carbs. Out of these, I have built him a nice correct setup for his '68 427. I then built a '70 Camaro carb he sent me, and I transformed it into a '74 Vette carb for "Pedro74." Pedro has been running a Buick carb on his Vette, and we as a Forum simply cannot allow that to continue. Pedro's complimentary Forum carb is on its way to him. Last, and most interesting, I have put together a 1968 327/350 Q-Jet that I am offering up as a "loaner" carb to anyone who needs to use it for whatever reason.

This carb is ugly. The plating is in poor shape. There is surface rust on the secondary airvalves. It's pieced together from at least 4 different carbs. It has an incorrect brass inlet fitting installed in it. But it's an amazingly good-running carb, and it's all set up and ready to go. I have tested it extensively. It idles well, has great off-idle throttle response, super cruise performance, and the secondary transition is brutal. I have modified it so it has a power brake vacuum line port, ported vacuum for the distributor, auto trans modulator hookup, and accessory vacuum. The choke linkage has been custom set up for a divorced choke so it will accept either a "push-on" or "pull-on" choke. It's an engineering marvel....!

Forum member John Harken has also sent me a carb for our Depository. This is a '75 Q-Jet that's ready to be set up, and I'll go through it and jet it just like a '75 Vette carb. I'll make it, too, available to our members as soon as I can.

There is no charge at all for any Forum members to use these carbs donated by our enthusiasts. All I ask is that you re-imburse me the postage it costs me to send you the carb. Regular mail costs about $10. Priority (2-day) runs about $14 for most places in the country. Note the postage on the box when you get it, and throw a check for that amount in the box when you send it back to me postage paid.

You can do anything you want with the carb. Just take care with it so it doesn't get damaged. Disassemble it if you want. Re-jet it. Whatever. Just return all the original parts to me - even if you leave it disassembled. You will get the carb with a spec sheet and installation instructions. Use it for troubleshooting your own carb problems or to keep your car running while you rebuild your own carb. Just send me the carb back when you're done. If you don't return the carb, I'm sure we can find someone from the Forum in your area to track you down.... :eek:

It's first-come-first-served. I have one carb right now. I'm building more as fast as I can get donations. If you want to use it, just drop me an e-mail to make arrangements:
V8FastCars@msn.com

If you'd like to contribute a carb or some carb parts to this project, please do so. Drop me an e-mail, and I'll send you a mailing address. I will rebuild and set up your donor carb and make it available to our members at no charge. It will be tagged with your name and your e-mail so those who borrow it can drop you a note to thank you. You can have your carb back at any time - just let me know, and I'll verify it's condition & setup, and mail it back to you.

I am also looking for some Chevy non-HEI distributors for our parts depository. They don't need to be tach drives - just plain ol' Chevy point-style units. I'd like to set up a couple of these with a really hot curve and a nice set of points and make them available to anyone who would like to try one out. Let me know if you have a donor-distributor you'd like to contribute.

If I can get a "TTT" once in a while over the weekend so all our readers can see this new service, it would be great!

[Modified by lars, 12:00 AM 1/23/2002]

[Modified by lars, 12:02 AM 1/26/2002]

[Modified by lars, 4:38 PM 1/27/2002]

[Modified by lars, 4:43 PM 1/27/2002]

[Modified by lars, 6:37 PM 1/27/2002]

[Modified by lars, 9:41 PM 2/18/2002]

[Modified by lars, 9:43 PM 2/18/2002]

[Modified by lars, 8:52 PM 2/26/2002]

[Modified by lars, 7:28 PM 3/15/2002]

[Modified by lars, 8:01 PM 3/16/2002]

[Modified by lars, 5:53 PM 3/17/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 12:21 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (lars)

Awesome Lars, you are the man! :)

Maybe one of the mods could make this a sticky thead to keep it at the top for a few days?

Dave
Old 01-12-2002, 12:45 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (Rolling Thunder)

Anyone have a double pumper I can try? I want to replace this carb with something new one of these days. But today is not the day. :confused: I would still like to see if a freshened carb improves performance and gets rid of those 3000 rpm shakes I am experiencing.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lars - you are just amazing! :D
Old 01-12-2002, 12:57 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Lars
I have a carb to donate. I have been busy,, I will respond to you email now.
Thanks Bob
Old 01-12-2002, 01:02 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Just more proof this is the best forum on the net :cheers:
Old 01-12-2002, 04:20 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

[QUOTE I am offering up as a "loaner" carb to anyone who needs to use it for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Lars You da man........

Now if you start tinkering with the crossfire injection stuff, I'll take the first loaner TB's that you have hot rodded :D
Old 01-12-2002, 06:35 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

This is an invaluable service you're doing Lars!!! :cheers:
Old 01-12-2002, 08:32 AM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Lars,

Excellent idea, and also very nice of you to do it. :cool:

John.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Very generous of you Lars. Your expertise and generosity is greatly appreciated.

Jim Shea
Old 01-12-2002, 09:59 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (Jim Shea)

Thanks for helping all of us gear heads out... especially those of us who had to sit in front of the computer and learn the correct nomenclature for the little part thingie dootle that looks like an L :jester

:seeya
Old 01-12-2002, 10:07 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (ZD75blue)

Nice plan lars I'm sure a lot of people will take advantage of it:) How are you going to keep track of 100 carbs running across america :D
Old 01-12-2002, 12:00 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Lars, I have a problem carb also.
Its currently disassembled, the shop is not able to fix the bangs above 4000 rpm.
Its a Holley 750cfm 4160 for a 454 Big Block.

Is it possible for you to give me hints on solving the problem or do I need to send you the thing? (I will, if it is cured then!!! You know I´m from Germany, but I don´t care about the distance!)

I´m a little puzzled currently......:confused:
and frustrated.......:eek:
close to getting mad....... :mad
Old 01-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (454Big)

We used to have a "rescue bog" as we caleed it in high school. About 5 of us shared this carb. If one of our carbs was acting up we just put this on to get us home. Don't know what it was from but it always got you home. I'll check around to see if I have any old carbs I'm not using Great idea.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (Gordonm)

Hey Lars, if you decide to move into Holley spreadbore territory, I've still got this misfit hiding in my workshop:

I'll send it if you want it.

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 11:25 AM 1/12/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 12:28 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (Flareside)

lars: I've got a black Delco distributor I got on my 454. That's about all I know about it. Would it do you any good? If so, consider it donated.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:58 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

lars,
I have a carb to donate. It is the stock Q-Jet off of my '79. One of the idle screws has been screwed in too far. The screw is... well, screwed, and the orifice into which it seats is damaged as well. The rest of the carb appears to be in good condition. I'll get it out to you as soon as I can.

Get notified of new replies

To CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members!

Old 01-12-2002, 01:02 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members! (e3pres)

:cool: you are the man :yesnod:
Old 01-12-2002, 01:15 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

This kind of service is absolutely unprecedented. It sure does make me proud to belong to this community.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Great IDEA :hat

Quick Reply: CorvetteForum Loaner Carb now available to Forum Members!