C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance tube on true dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
mfpvette80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Balance tube on true dual exhaust

I've had a true dual set-up on my 1980 for a few years now, and will soon be installing a balance tube. As I look at the system, the pipes run parallel about 2" apart for almost 4 ft. Has anyone ever fabricated an "expansion chamber" to basically merge the pipes prior to splitting into the pipes leading to the muffler? What I'm trying to decide is whether there may be an advantage to building a "super" balance tube between the systems. How about multiple balance tubes? Any thoughts?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
tjl82
Advanced

i have true duels on my 80, where the pipes run down the passenger side they run side by side i had an x pipe installed this will help with scavenging the exhaust pulses from one side to the other
Old 10-13-2008, 07:51 PM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 107 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

Will the x pipe get rid of the annoying RRRaaappppp I get when I jump on it?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by mfpvette80
I've had a true dual set-up on my 1980 for a few years now, and will soon be installing a balance tube. As I look at the system, the pipes run parallel about 2" apart for almost 4 ft. Has anyone ever fabricated an "expansion chamber" to basically merge the pipes prior to splitting into the pipes leading to the muffler? What I'm trying to decide is whether there may be an advantage to building a "super" balance tube between the systems. How about multiple balance tubes? Any thoughts?
I did that for a couple reasons several years ago to the system under my '69. There's definitely no side to side flow impedance for the pressure to equalize prior to the mufflers, and one large pipe is lighter than two small pipes. I took several pounds of weight off the system doing that.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by shaggyvette
Will the x pipe get rid of the annoying RRRaaappppp I get when I jump on it?
it did on mine, made a smoother sound instead of the rumble I loved. Hard to explain, kind of like an Indy car snarl when I jump on it. Just a little deeper....
Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
mfpvette80
Instructor

I also find the pulsing sound to be irritating. It was cool a few years ago, but now it's a little too "hot rod" for a vette. I'm hoping the balance tube tones this down. I'm running Summit turbo mufflers on the system.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM
MN81C3
Instructor

Originally Posted by mfpvette80
I also find the pulsing sound to be irritating. It was cool a few years ago, but now it's a little too "hot rod" for a vette. I'm hoping the balance tube tones this down. I'm running Summit turbo mufflers on the system.
I too am getting irritated with the pulsing and have been tring to decide on an x-pipe or h-pipe. I had the crossmember on my 81 modified so i could run the pipes almost straight back on both sides. The h-pipe will definately be easier. Does the H-pipe also eliminate the pulsing?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Might mute it just a bit so the exhaust isnt quite as "sharp" wouldnt count on it eliminating it . X, H or none Ive never felt a SOTP difference one way or the other as far as power goes though.

Get notified of new replies

To Balance tube on true dual exhaust

Quick Reply: Balance tube on true dual exhaust