C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 ( clone) timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM
wfo76
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, must be lower compression which is really a good thing, but not sure about lower compression with the factory L88 cam.
Might be better to switch to the street mechanical cam (L71, LS6, etc.)

I also think I saw the brake warning light coming on when he hit the brakes so prepare to do some possible brake work before driving.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Stroker-427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW.... some other Italian People here!

I have to agree with everybody.... but we MUST take in consideration the effect of the Dinamic Copression of the angine.... in other words a big cammed engine will survive with less octane than a "Truck cammed" engine (same CR, of course).

My 427 with Dart Pro1 227cc CNC heads have some 12.9:1 of compression.... but when I drive around in the city I use even normal gas (94 RON).... with some egg under the foot! ;-)

The fact is that my 262° @ 0.050" cam will reduce a lot the Effective Cilynder Pressure when under 3000 RPM.... and this will consequentely reduce the CR seen by the engine.

Of course, when racing, I'm using 113 RON+MON/2 gas from Magigas (Italian race gas... the factory is 10Km from my home.....) with 4% oxigen.

I can do that even because I don't use a simple centrifugal advance system, but a MSD programmable (8977) system.... which let me shape my curve in relation os RPM and vacuum (yes... I use even some 8° of vacuum advance).
Old 10-09-2008, 12:07 PM
lsorense
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elle88
thanks everybody

here are a couple of videos made by the PO for me . car idling and car driven ( in quiet manner)
http://jimpascale.myphotoalbum.com/v...96&id=dscf8644
http://jimpascale.myphotoalbum.com/v...96&id=dscf8645

im these videos the motor is running with premium gas+some (cheap, I suppose) octane booster

Ironcross.
I supposed that no vacuum advance on L88 . sorry for my ignorance but i own a more usual 350 79 vette and sincerely little literature on the Net about BB and L88

Isorense. the Toluene seems a nice solution. did you get it at an oil company or chemical?chemical I suppose...
I bought the toluene via the gas company Statoil - just called them and ordered a barrel and they delivered the 200 L barrel to my house. You need a manual pump with special rubber seals that will stand the toluene and mount it into the barrel - it will cost you 25 - 40 Euros.

Lars
Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sxr6
elle88, not meaning to dis your car but after listening to the vids it sure doesn't sound like a 12/1 comp car. Either you have some serious restricted mufflers or it's more like 10.5/1. I have never heard a true L-88 but been in the presence of true LS-7s back in the day with 12/1 comp & they absolutely POPed out the exhaust.

Are you sure what's in the engine?
listen to these videos sound.
one is supposed to be a genuine L88 , the other is mine.
I suppose the different tone is due to different mufflers, but the L88 cam sound seems to be there on mine ( mine has headers too, but not large tubes , 2.2" I suppose)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9HPsc8n4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDrqslFtRHU
Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lsorense
I bought the toluene via the gas company Statoil - just called them and ordered a barrel and they delivered the 200 L barrel to my house. You need a manual pump with special rubber seals that will stand the toluene and mount it into the barrel - it will cost you 25 - 40 Euros.

Lars
Isorense,

checked the availability of Toluene here , but not so easy...I suppose that for large amounts the selling company will ask : what are you doing with it? are you able to get rid of it? The toluene is used mainly as solvent and can't be just thrown away in the WC...and possibly I can't say to them that I'm burning it in my engine
I'll continue to search...
tetraethil lead . Oh God , it's so poisonus...I fear just to say its name
Old 10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
lsorense
Advanced

elle88,

The company "statoil" that i bought the toluene from in denmark did ask me what i needed it for and i told then for my car - its not illegal or anything. Just be carefull not to inhale or ignite it in your garage.

Quick Reply: L88 ( clone) timing