C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New User: 74' help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New User: 74' help

Ok.. So I've been working on getting a 74' Corvette that has been sitting since 1991 (mostly under tarps thankfully!) and its been a little rough..

What I did so far was to take the tank out, get most of the sand out and reattach..
Replaced the fuel pump because it leaked, as with most of the filters...

The sending unit was rusted so i sand blasted it clean again, but sand got into the line and into the filter at the end. Im almost 100% sure That it's cleaned out but the the strainer it self is blackish brown..

That and I got most of the lines replaced.

The problem is that when you turn it on and put in drive or now even hit the gas the car stalls out. It seems like it isn't getting any gas other then when the lines are flooded initially (from gravity) and then the engine shuts out.

I think the problem is the strainer on the sending unit or that the fuel pump might have got a small piece of sand in it, but I don't think that would stop all functionality of the unit.. could be wrong though.. If someone could help me I'd be very pleased.. When this is solved it will at least be drivable again!!! Then I can take on the lights/windshield wiper fluid/bumpers/ect...

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 21B,
I would think if it were the strainer or fuel pump you'd have no gas at the carburetor. This sounds much more like a carb/ timing issue to me.
This will get you to the front of the line again for some mechanical help.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-28-2008, 11:39 AM
21boy
Racer

Thanks for the help Alan, as long as its something fixable and not a death notice I'll be fine..
Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
cduemig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you rebuild the carb? It doesn't take long with bad fuel to muck up the passages...
Old 09-28-2008, 11:26 PM
21boy
Racer

Did not, but the gas isn't even getting that far sometimes.. If it's let to sit then it will get to the carb and the car goes for about a minute then stalls and the gas lines appear dry. The filter on the sending unit was completely shot and full of sludge.. I think that some of this stuff got clogged somewhere in the fuel line. Going to blow out the lines tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll go for carb.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good for you. Lots of noob's go for the carb first (even some guys that SHOULD know better!!) I'm NOT ragging on anyone- just a statement of facts..

If the sock in the tank was full of goo, you cleaned it and put it back in, that may be your problem- that sock is a pretty fine strainer and very tough to clean.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:49 PM
21boy
Racer

That's what I thought too. I sand blasted the sending unit and must have gotten some in the tube but the strainer looked really bad so i tried everything to clean it (except taking it off! If I knew I could do that this would all be much easier -.-) and eventually I thought it was clean enough that it should function...

Well when I took that sucker off today I was way off.. the scene wasn't pretty so I think a new one is just what I need. Thanks for the help though, I'm sure there will be many more problems that need some advice for.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
21boy
Racer

Ok so I replaced the fuel filter which was completely filled with black bits of hardened gas and sand and just waiting for new strainer to get here before I re-reassemble everything and give it a ride. Feeling much better about the situation knowing that that was shoot and not the fuel pump. You guys have been a lot of help though thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To New User: 74' help

Quick Reply: New User: 74' help