C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chambered or Corvette Off-Road exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Chambered or Corvette Off-Road exhaust?

I'm trying to decide between the two. I have first hand experience with the chambered under car exhaust but anyone have the off-road mufflers?

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 09-27-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling/typing error
Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Cleon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1979, took the Y pipes off, used the off road true dual exhaust on 2 1/2 inch.
I am using Magnaflow mufflers. Very good sound. I have looked at the same setup with
Chambered pipes. Sounds good, but very loud, would be a problem for me and wife
on trip. Would like to listen to radio and talk also.

Cleon
cleonwingard@hotmail.com
Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Nobody's running the off-road mufflers?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

side pipes can be a pain on road trip, I would go with chambered undercar, side pipes are also chambered design) undercar=less noise but great sound.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi CC,
By "OFF ROAD" do you mean "OFF ROAD" or "side exhaust"?
I didn't reply because I assumed you meant "OFF ROAD", which I don't have any experience with.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi CC,
By "OFF ROAD" do you mean "OFF ROAD" or "side exhaust"?
I didn't reply because I assumed you meant "OFF ROAD", which I don't have any experience with.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, I mean OFF ROAD as in undercar mufflers for off road use. Corvette Central sells them and they had a sound byte on their exhaust site. They sound pretty good but then again, I'm listening through laptop speakers so I am taking that with a grain of salt.

They don't put a lot of verbiage along with them so I don't know if they are supposed to be reproductions of Chevy off road mufflers or what.

I'm definitely not looking at side exhaust. I love the sound but am not willing to go to the expense nor deal with the constant threat of burns to my wife and daughter.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 09-28-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I had Off Road mufflers on my 66 and they sounded very good. My 72 has the stock system (yes original GM) and it, too, sounds very good - both have a nice throaty sound. Especially at WOT.

I have a friend who put the chambered exhaust on his 77. He took a gamble that the sound would be more tolerable than a side exhaust. When he drove up, it was obviously not an OEM sound but it sure did sound nice. Throaty, mildly loud, and fairly deep, but still slightly muted because it was under the car. When he really got into the throttle, it had a sound that was about 75% of the volume of a side exhaust. For a non-numbers car, I would consider installing the chambered exhaust if you want more volume but not the ear-deadening drone of a side exhaust.

Gary
Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

listening to that on some good speakers, ive gotta say, i really dont like the sound. it just doesnt seem to have a deep rumble like a muscle car should.

i just put allens chambered 2s on my car last week, and they sound awesome. a real nice deep sound to them, and quite quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2a8-sgYM70
Old 09-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi CC,
I really like the idea and sound of chambered pipe exhaust. My problem with it is that I think it sounds like a 69, Z-28.... a GREAT sound, but not Corvette sound.
Regards,
Alan

PS: I believe the 'Off Road Exhaust' option was more about 'free flow' than 'sound' originally. The side exhaust were obviously about looks and sound on the street. I believe the 69 side exhaust are more restrictive than under-car exhaust. In 69 the optional side exhaust for L-88 cars was very much like what came to be known as Hooker side exhaust.
If you know all this... sorry.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
listening to that on some good speakers, ive gotta say, i really dont like the sound. it just doesnt seem to have a deep rumble like a muscle car should.

i just put allens chambered 2s on my car last week, and they sound awesome. a real nice deep sound to them, and quite quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2a8-sgYM70
another user: just curious do you have headers? Sounds great.

CCrane72: you may want to check with the folks at Allen's Exhaust. They make both the chambered and off-road muffler. They are very helpful on the phone.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM
windup
Instructor

Originally Posted by PaulH

CCrane72: you may want to check with the folks at Allen's Exhaust. They make both the chambered and off-road muffler. They are very helpful on the phone.

I was undecided what road to go down with regard to exhaust systems.

Soon made my mind up after Avner posted a video of his Allen's system,sounds awesome.

Cant wait till mines fitted.

post #7
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=exhaust
Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PaulH
another user: just curious do you have headers? Sounds great.
nope, just the original rams horns.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

GaryS:

I probably should have mentioned this is for my LS5 engine. NCRS purists please look away. My car is nearly totally numbers matching with the exception of the starter and the A/C compressor.

It is a driver and as long as I own it always will be. I can't be sure about the differential because the numbers are too faint but I have no reason to believe it has ever been swapped out.

The car has 97K miles on it and I replaced the trailing arms over the last winter and the arms I took out appear to have seen every one of those miles.

I am currently running the Dynomax Super Turbos and they sound really good but I'm ready to move up to a more aggressive sound. I have a very good friend who is running chambered exhausts on his SWC with a 383 stroker and it sounds fantastic.

My thing is I don't like the void they leave where the factory mufflers go. I've been considering having a local muffler shop weld empty shells over the replacement pipes to at least give the appearance of having mufflers.

I know it sounds silly and is definitely a waste of money but that's where my purist comes out. I hate it when pieces are missing. I'm ok with factory replacements and also with good quality reproduction parts as long as they are there and not missing.

I'm currently suppressing the need to obtain all of the smog parts as they are missing from my engine.

Anyway, another-user:

I listened to both your clip and the Corvette Central clips on my Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 speakers and I can see what you mean about the off road mufflers compared to the chambers pipes. Now yours are the chambered 2's which means there are 2 sets of chambered pipes one set under the passenger area and the other where the mufflers go right? It sounds good but not aggressive enough for my taste.

windup:

I checked out Avner's clip and that is the sound that I hear on my friends SWC and most likely the one I will go for.

cc
Old 09-29-2008, 01:41 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Anyway, another-user:

I listened to both your clip and the Corvette Central clips on my Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 speakers and I can see what you mean about the off road mufflers compared to the chambers pipes. Now yours are the chambered 2's which means there are 2 sets of chambered pipes one set under the passenger area and the other where the mufflers go right? It sounds good but not aggressive enough for my taste.
yes, thats is correct, 2 muffled sections per side. the long one that runs under neath the car, and the short one that goes where the original mufflers used to.

now, avner has the same pipes as i do. difference being, his car is a 327/350 with headers, where as im a 350/300 with rams horns. a bit more agressive motor then mine, and headers which im sure make a world of difference.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

N-11 off road mufflers were stock on a LT-1 Vette (or they were on a 56K mile 70 I owned a few years back), I would go with them before I went with a chambered pipe set-up. I put a chambered pipe set-up on my 302 Z/28 Camaro and didn't like the sound of the system but, after spending $700 I learned to live with it. My friend has a 66 425HP BB with real N-11's and that car sounds really GOOD!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a few of these systems and I can tell from the sound on those 2 clips that avner and another-user have different systems. Even though they both have 4 mufflers there are at least 2 systems out there that look identical but have internal differences. The difference is the number of holes in the baffle tubes. avner has 650 and another-user has 1500. The more holes you have the quieter it is. Typically if you buy direct from Allens you get 1500 holes, the 650 hole systems are sold through other distributors.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Well, now I'm officially in analysis paralysis. I just listened to the Magnaflows on Corvette Central's site and found out they are the same price as the N11s.

They have a very deeeeep growl. Like the deepest I've ever heard.

cc
Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Well, now I'm officially in analysis paralysis. I just listened to the Magnaflows on Corvette Central's site and found out they are the same price as the N11s.

They have a very deeeeep growl. Like the deepest I've ever heard.

cc
I just pulled off a set of magnaflows purchased from CC two months old ago and installed a 2 chambered exhaust system from Allen's. There is no comparison between the two. While exhaust is a matter of taste, the chambered has a more aggressive sound and is louder. Its really hard to tell the exhaust sound from CC's internet clips. Every motor creates a different sound from the muffler and mine sure didn't sound like the clip on their site.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

PaulH, thanks for the heads up.

You have a point. I wasn't very impressed with the N11 sound clip yet there is an article in the new issue of Corvette Enthusiast about them and how deep their sound is. A lot probably has to do with the equipment being used to record the clip too.

I would think they'd try to use the same equipment for all of them so you'd at least take that out of the equation.

Thanks again.

cc

Get notified of new replies

To Chambered or Corvette Off-Road exhaust?

Quick Reply: Chambered or Corvette Off-Road exhaust?