C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric fans and water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
straub18045
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric fans and water pump?

anyone running electric fan and water pump? if so could you show pics and possible combo that work ? im fresh out of spots on my fuse panel so have to juggle something. this is my effort to squeeze any extra ponies out of engine,thank you
Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I don't have an electric pump because they are not intended for a street driven car so you may want to consider that. As for the fans, I have wiring instructions that I copied off the forum. I believe Sixfooter posted them. Do a search but if that doesn't work for you I can fax them if you pm me.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM
straub18045
Racer

i dont drive my vette as much as i want to so i figured electric water pump would be ok, thought someone has ran this before though
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Contrary to popular myth, electric accessories do not free up any HP from the engine- the load to drive them is simply transferred to the alternator.

No free lunch.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

can an electric water pump work? sure - if you get the right one, and you work enough with all the supporting hardware but the question really is on a street driven car is it really practical?

Most electric pumps are designed for racing applications. Most importantly that means that they are typically designed for their maximum fluid flow at high RPM's - usually sustained rpm's over 4000rpm. Below that level they are less efficient and do not flow as well as a standard belt-driven pump. What's going to happen if you are cruising below 4,000rpm, or just sitting idling at a traffic light, or stuck in traffic? Are you prepared to watch your temp gauge keep climbing higher and higher.....

Lets look at the flow specs:
A STOCK SB water pump is spec'd to flow 55gpm
A STOCK BB water pump is spec'd to flow 82gpm

electric water pumps range, depending on make and model, from 19gpm up to 55gpm. Even the most efficient Epump flows less than a standard stock SB water pump, and again the flow rates listed for the Epumps are are their highest flow rate which is at higher RPM's - they are less at lower rpm speeds.

So, right there you would be replacing a stock belt-driven pump for something with less flow rate, especially at lower rpm's.

Second, as already mentioned, nothing is free. You may gain a few horsepower with an Epump vs a belt-driven pump but Epumps are notorious for their power consumption. Where is that power going to come from? You will need to upgrade your alternator. Alternators use power from the motor..... some of your "gain" you will lose because of the required additional electrical requirements.

Super Chevy did a nice A/B comparison test on a SB chevy motor using a standard belt-driven water pump and than swapped it out for a Epump to see what, if any, real gains in HP there was. The average HP gains with the Epump were 2-3HP. Is that small amount really worth the hassle, expense, and less efficient flow and cooling at lower RPM's??

Personally, if you are really looking for more power for your car and willing to just throw money at it to achieve that additional power there are much better changes you can make that will get you the gain you are seeking without the downsides to trying to put an electric water pump on a street driven car.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by BarryK
Second, as already mentioned, nothing is free. You may gain a few horsepower with an Epump vs a belt-driven pump but Epumps are notorious for their power consumption. Where is that power going to come from? You will need to upgrade your alternator. Alternators use power from the motor..... some of your "gain" you will lose because of the required additional electrical requirements.

Super Chevy did a nice A/B comparison test on a SB chevy motor using a standard belt-driven water pump and than swapped it out for a Epump to see what, if any, real gains in HP there was. The average HP gains with the Epump were 2-3HP. Is that small amount really worth the hassle, expense, and less efficient flow and cooling at lower RPM's??

Gotta run. I'm sure chefart has posted more nonsense that needs 'comment'.
Barry,

I question the credibility of the magazine test you mentioned. A stock pump as installed only consumes 1-2HP so it's impossible to recover more than that value. I doubt also that the magazine considered the additional load put on the alternator to power the pump.

At best it would be a wash. Same with the fans.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:53 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd consider the electric fan option, as it has immediate results and consistent reviews.
I think I'd wait and review a little more on the electric water pump based on your application/use.
Just my two cents....
Old 09-20-2008, 10:28 AM
straub18045
Racer

thanks for the feedback, i have to some more research to determine cost effectiveness. either way seems like more $$$ to a never ending project
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Barry,

I question the credibility of the magazine test you mentioned. A stock pump as installed only consumes 1-2HP so it's impossible to recover more than that value. I doubt also that the magazine considered the additional load put on the alternator to power the pump.

At best it would be a wash. Same with the fans.
Mike

you very well may be correct. All i can do is report the published results.
They actually tested the standard belt-driven pump two ways - 27% overdriven and 14% underdriven vs the Epump.
Their results averaged to a 3hp gain based on their chart of dyno results.

regardless of whether it was an average 3HP gain or a complete wash I'd still say my point was made - the expense and hassle of an electric waterpump doesn't really gain anything worthwhile. Even IF there really was a 3HP average gain I'd say that isn't anywhere near enough to justify changing to an Epump.

BTW, if you have any interest at all, here is the article - just so you know I didn't just make it up and pull the numbers out of my a**:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ump/index.html
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

[QUOTE=BarryK;1567177966]Mike

I didn't just make it up and pull the numbers out of my a**:
[

Sometimes, it's better to leave the books on the shelf and spend a little more time under the hood.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

BTW, if you have any interest at all, here is the article - just so you know I didn't just make it up and pull the numbers out of my a**:
That's what we have chefart for, isn't it?

I went and read the test. What a crock of sh*t. There was no alternator on the engine so they have not measured how much power it takes to run it- you know, the thing that makes the power to run the pump?

They also stated the following " An electric motor, on the other hand, does not cost horsepower to run...."

Wow, now I'm really impressed with their basic knowledge of mechanics and the laws of physics . Where do I get me a subscription to this priceless rag? Ka-barf!

Last edited by Mike Ward; 09-20-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: had to stop lauging first
Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Contrary to popular myth, electric accessories do not free up any HP from the engine- the load to drive them is simply transferred to the alternator.

No free lunch.
Unless you need this extra HP for short bursts like going down the dragstrip or ..........Then you simple turn off the alternator and let the fan and water pump run off the battery for those few seconds.Works good and gives you the edge you need sometimes to be a winner.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=MikeM;1567178996]
Mike

I didn't just make it up and pull the numbers out of my a**:
[

Sometimes, it's better to leave the books on the shelf and spend a little more time under the hood.
spent enough time doing just that this week already working on my own water pump, thanks, as you well know!!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:49 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

That's what we have chefart for, isn't it?

I went and read the test. What a crock of sh*t. There was no alternator on the engine so they have not measured how much power it takes to run it- you know, the thing that makes the power to run the pump?

They also stated the following " An electric motor, on the other hand, does not cost horsepower to run...."

Wow, now I'm really impressed with their basic knowledge of mechanics and the laws of physics . Where do I get me a subscription to this priceless rag? Ka-barf!
true, some of chefart's posts are ..... umm....interesting..... to say the least!

I only skimmed the article briefly and than looked at the results chart. It told me more than enough - that it was a waste of time.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

Just some thoughts:

1) An electric pump has the same flow rate regardless of RPM. It is not belt driven and does not vary speed. They are good for racecars that cool down between rounds since thepump gives max flow with the engine at idle. Where electric pumps come up short is at extended rpm (i.e. highway cruising).

2) Electric fans are good because they only run when needed. Mine barely run in town and don;t run at all on the the highway. So, in effect, I do get free HP on the highway.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:13 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 616 Likes on 407 Posts

No free lunch.
Not to cause an arguement with you, Mr. Ward, but you are dead wrong on this issue. It may not be a totally free lunch, but it is 99% free. It doesn't take any more power to turn the alternator no matter what the load in amps ...the windings take care of that; the watts to horsepower conversion formula does not apply here since electricity is not used in any way to power the car.

Any less load freed up physically (like a water pump) will allow the engine to make more horsepower. How much more depends on your combo. At the dyno, I have seen from 3 to 12 hp increases. At the track, racers that must run an alternator also run an electric water pump if they can do it. Same goes for electric fans.....there is a net horsepower increase.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:46 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 584 Likes on 505 Posts

[QUOTE=C3 Stroker; It doesn't take any more power to turn the alternator no matter what the load in amps ...

Huh ? I guess that's why the belt never slips or squeals when there is a high electrical load ?

Get notified of new replies

To electric fans and water pump?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:10 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 616 Likes on 407 Posts

[QUOTE=Aktbird;1567180503][QUOTE=C3 Stroker; It doesn't take any more power to turn the alternator no matter what the load in amps ...

Huh ? I guess that's why the belt never slips or squeals when there is a high electrical load ? [/QUOTE]

Let me clarify this....If your alternator is rated to handle a 100 amp load at 2500 rpm, using 100 amps will not slow it down or increase drag at that speed. If you are using less amps, then, yes, you may benefit from slightly less drag until you increase demand. So in that reguard I stand corrected. But at full throtle (racing situation), you are at max charging power....the load makes no difference.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 584 Likes on 505 Posts

Up to the max rating of the alternator, the hp requirement is proportional to the required amperage output.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Let me clarify this....If your alternator is rated to handle a 100 amp load at 2500 rpm, using 100 amps will not slow it down or increase drag at that speed. If you are using less amps, then, yes, you may benefit from slightly less drag until you increase demand. So in that reguard I stand corrected. But at full throtle (racing situation), you are at max charging power....the load makes no difference.
Do you write for the same magazine that Barry quoted? Sounds like you have the same depth of technical knowledge as they do.

The effort it takes to turn an alternator is directly related to the load put on it. The corollary is the amount of current consumed by an AC electric motor is directly related to how much load is put on it. I learned both in day one of 8th grade high school electronics.

Alternators are not rated to carry a load, they are rated for output. There's a difference. I learned that on day 2.

Engine RPM has nothing to do with load.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 09-20-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: electric fans and water pump?