C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Default carb issue

I have a stock 71 with a 350 and a quad carb, when I get on it it bogs i can pedal thru it but would like it to kick in like it should. I think it is the accelerator pump how can i adjust it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If this is something new I would be looking for a vacuum leak.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

It's been like this since i bought the car 3 years ago, the guy I got it from said he rebuilt the carb, but I'll look for a leak and start there.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 AM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two most common causes of the Quadrabog are the accelerator pump plunger deteriorating and the secondary air valve adjustment.

With the engine off, take off the air cleaner and look down the primary bores of the carb and pull the throttle linkage. You should see two solid streams of fuel go into the bores. If there is no fuel, or if it sputteres out weakly, buy a carb kit and replace the plunger seal.

The fix for the air valve is non-invasive. Look on the passenger side of the carb's secondaries. the Butterfly on top of the secondaries is the air valve and if it is set too loose, the carb will bog as the secondaries kick in. To adjust, you hold a small flat head screwdriver in the slot on the end of the butterfly's shaft as you loosen an allen screw that holds it from moving (the allen screw points up from under the passenger side end of the shaft). You want to adjust it to where the butterfly shuts, then 3/4 of a turn farther. Hold it in place with the screwdriver as you retighten the allen screw to lock it in place.

God bless, Sensei
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Thanks I'll look at this this weekend if my honey do list is'nt too long
Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by a1sensei
The two most common causes of the Quadrabog are the accelerator pump plunger deteriorating and the secondary air valve adjustment.

With the engine off, take off the air cleaner and look down the primary bores of the carb and pull the throttle linkage. You should see two solid streams of fuel go into the bores. If there is no fuel, or if it sputteres out weakly, buy a carb kit and replace the plunger seal.

The fix for the air valve is non-invasive. Look on the passenger side of the carb's secondaries. the Butterfly on top of the secondaries is the air valve and if it is set too loose, the carb will bog as the secondaries kick in. To adjust, you hold a small flat head screwdriver in the slot on the end of the butterfly's shaft as you loosen an allen screw that holds it from moving (the allen screw points up from under the passenger side end of the shaft). You want to adjust it to where the butterfly shuts, then 3/4 of a turn farther. Hold it in place with the screwdriver as you retighten the allen screw to lock it in place.

God bless, Sensei
What do you mean by loose?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
What do you mean by loose?
Opens to easy.....the adjustments needs to tightened or adjusted properly. A 'loose' adjustment will cause the secondary rods to lift which in turns floods out the engine leading to a 'bog'.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Opens to easy.....the adjustments needs to tightened or adjusted properly. A 'loose' adjustment will cause the secondary rods to lift which in turns floods out the engine leading to a 'bog'.
Is that just at WOT or would it occur at more modest acceleration speeds as well? I ask the question because I have a mild case of the infamous off-idle stumble and although I have read the various papers on the subject, I am not sure what the remedy is. This stumble occurs very briefly on moving off from a stop sign or red light. The accelerator pump seems OK: it squirts and there is no slack between the actuating lever and the pump head. The gas pedal is a bit loosey-goosey suggesting a stretched throttle cable that on a 1974 is unfortunately not adjustable.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul67
Is that just at WOT or would it occur at more modest acceleration speeds as well? I ask the question because I have a mild case of the infamous off-idle stumble and although I have read the various papers on the subject, I am not sure what the remedy is. This stumble occurs very briefly on moving off from a stop sign or red light. The accelerator pump seems OK: it squirts and there is no slack between the actuating lever and the pump head. The gas pedal is a bit loosey-goosey suggesting a stretched throttle cable that on a 1974 is unfortunately not adjustable.
The secondaries only activate at about half throttle, so they are not related to the off-idle stumble.

"The accelerator pump seems OK: it squirts and there is no slack between the actuating lever and the pump head."

Be sure the pump starts to squirt AS SOON AS the throttle is opened a bit. If the pump or the pump lever is set too high, the initial pump movement may not actually pump any gas and you get a lean stumble.

Get notified of new replies

To carb issue

Quick Reply: carb issue