C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil overfilled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil overfilled?

I changed my oil and filter this weekend and now I have a slight oil smell and when I checked the dipstick it looks to be overfilled.

I found this thread/post when searching for info on the subject: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...10&postcount=5

The thread is closed, but indicated that you should drain oil, change filter and add 5 quarts of oil to be sure the level is correct from the start.

This is the second oil change I have done since having the Vette and had no problems last time. It seems to run ok, I am just worried I overfilled.

I drained the oil, removed/replaced the filter and added 5 quarts, no more, no less.... The manuals I have from GM indicate that 5 quarts is what you should put in the system. Is it possible that there is a little bit of residual oil remaining between changes?

Did I over fill?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

5 quarts is what I put in at each oil change. How long did you run the car afterwards? Maybe the oil filter hasn't filled up yet. I don't know if its absolutely necessary, but I always fill the new oil filter at least 3/4 full with fresh oil before installing it and then pour the 4 -1/4 (more or less) quarts left, into the crankcase.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stock76
5 quarts is what I put in at each oil change. How long did you run the car afterwards? Maybe the oil filter hasn't filled up yet. I don't know if its absolutely necessary, but I always fill the new oil filter at least 3/4 full with fresh oil before installing it and then pour the 4 -1/4 (more or less) quarts left, into the crankcase.
I've got a few miles on it. Maybe its my imagination. That or I may have spilled some oil on the headers when checking the oil. That might be where the smell is coming from. It runs fine, no bogging or anything, so perhaps it is fine. Just wanted to be sure. I used 5 quarts and a new filter, so I guess I am alright.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM
tnovot
Racer

Depending on which filter you use, it could hold less than 1 quart so 5 quarts of oil could potentially overfill the crankcase. That would cause the spinning crankshaft to sling oil. It is easy to drain a small amount from the crankcase and then retighten the drain plug.

Better 1/2 quart below full (it's still above the add mark) than 1/2 quart too much. I usually fill the filter before spinning it on and then add 4 quarts, run the engine briefly to check for any leakage around the filter gasket, and then check oil level and top off only if necessary. BTW, regarding stock76's comment, it only takes a few seconds for the filter to fill - even if it is not manually filled prior to installation but you did say you have a few miles on the oil change.
Terry
Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

if you drain the oil imediatley after shutiing down the engine a lot of oil (don't know the specific amount)is still draining back to the oil pan, it takes a while for it all to get back down there.that may be the problem
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Do you have a dipstick?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If your Dip stick is correct for the motor,
you Fill Oil, depending on the dip stick level.
( Definitly nothing more, prefereably Nothing less.)

You are prefilling your oil filters before you install them right ?

69VETT
Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Was your car on a flat surface (and motor hot) when you pulled the drain plug ?? Flat or slightly up in the front is good. If you were parked pointing down a slight hill all the oil may not have drained out. I always jack up the front of my car so I can fit under it (as well as make sure all the oil drains).
Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jims66
Was your car on a flat surface (and motor hot) when you pulled the drain plug ?? Flat or slightly up in the front is good. If you were parked pointing down a slight hill all the oil may not have drained out. I always jack up the front of my car so I can fit under it (as well as make sure all the oil drains).
It was jacked up from the front. On ramps. Same way I have always done it. As I recall, last time I did it, I stopped at 4 quarts and found that was more than suffice. After running the engine I ended up putting about a 1/2 quart more. I really question whether 5 quarts is correct. I have the GM Resto manual and the factor specs which state 5 quarts with filter change.

In any event it just seems a bit high on the dipstick.

Oh the oil was not hot, just warm. I ran it enough to drive up on the ramps.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

I've always felt that a LITTLE over or under is not a problem. GM actually advises to add a extra quart when racing. But saying that, shoot for the correct level.
Also, it has been noted many times, a hot engine will drain more oil than a cold engine if you don't spend alot of time on the change. A over night drain may be the same. I've heard of up to 1/2 qt more from a hot engine. And, I believe it is generally better to have the car mostly level.
If you're only adding 4 qts to fill after a drain, is the oil dirty right away? Could be that 1 qt of old oil that didn't get changed.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just some other thoughts. Does you oil pan have in major dents? Is it original?

And, when you removed the new (or old) filter did it have oil in it? There's a pressure bypass that is suppose to allow oil to get to the engine if the filter becomes clogged. It it were open then oil may not go through the filter. I've heard of folks removing it for different reasons. (??????)

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To Engine oil overfilled?

Quick Reply: Engine oil overfilled?