C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Rear End Clunk?

My '73 is currently in the shop being dyno tuned. While there I asked the mechanic to look at the auto transmisson (TH400). It was shifting fairly hard and making a clunk noise when shifting into gear from either park or neutral.

He called and said it is not the transmission but the clunk is coming from the rear end.

There are no other symptoms. There is no noise coming from the rear during either low or high speed operation. No noise or clunks during turns. Posi-trac appears to be working fine.

A search turned up two possibilities - one is that the front differential mount is loose and/or the rubber mount is in need of replacement. The other is possible loose bolts in the rear end to cross member connection.

Are there any other possibilities?

DC
Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money is on the front mount... Makes a nasty clunk if gone or beaten up...... Did the mechanic say if the rubber bushing was still in it? It's very easy to see...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by justaguy10825
My money is on the front mount... Makes a nasty clunk if gone or beaten up...... Did the mechanic say if the rubber bushing was still in it? It's very easy to see...
Very easy to replace.

Here is a link to the part at Volunteer Vette.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Eddie 70 hit the nail on the head and even gave you photos. your symptoms are classic for this type of failure. If you don't do your own work, this is a fairly straight forward repair for your mechanic. If you do your own work, this is very easy to do, just count on scraped knuckles and an hour lost. The procedure is in the GM Service Manual.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GaryS
Eddie 70 hit the nail on the head and even gave you photos. your symptoms are classic for this type of failure. If you don't do your own work, this is a fairly straight forward repair for your mechanic. If you do your own work, this is very easy to do, just count on scraped knuckles and an hour lost. The procedure is in the GM Service Manual.
Thanks guys. I do as much of my own work as possible and this should be no problem. I'll give the mechanic a heads up in the morning and ask him to do a visual inspection to confirm.

You've reminded me that I need to add the service manual to the list of stuff I want to order - thanks.

DC
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
This is most likely your problem
Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DC3
Thanks guys. I do as much of my own work as possible and this should be no problem. I'll give the mechanic a heads up in the morning and ask him to do a visual inspection to confirm.

You've reminded me that I need to add the service manual to the list of stuff I want to order - thanks.

DC
For a DIY guy, the reprinted GM Service Manual is the ONLY way to go, imo.

I really doubt that a visual inspection will show anything for the simple reason that the only thing that can be viewed is the bolt head. For the cost of the setup, guessing around $45, it is pretty easy just to swap out the old for a new one. That rubber doughnut sits up in the front of the differential mounting point and sits between the frame and the diff nose. The GM manual gives the procedure, even telling you how to keep the nose of the diff from pivoting up, iirc.

Gary
Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Originally Posted by GaryS
For a DIY guy, the reprinted GM Service Manual is the ONLY way to go, imo.

I really doubt that a visual inspection will show anything for the simple reason that the only thing that can be viewed is the bolt head. For the cost of the setup, guessing around $45, it is pretty easy just to swap out the old for a new one. That rubber doughnut sits up in the front of the differential mounting point and sits between the frame and the diff nose. The GM manual gives the procedure, even telling you how to keep the nose of the diff from pivoting up, iirc.

Gary
Very easy to see if it is missing or torn to bits though... at least the "doughnut" bottom half between the differential mount & the frame support is... On my 78 it was completely gone, bolt & all.. Talk about easy to spot...
Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Did you ever get this figured out?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by justaguy10825
Did you ever get this figured out?
Not yet. Car is still in the shop being checked and tuned. Mechanic said the front bushing and all mounting bolts are tight and in good shape. Doesn't appear to be u-joints either. He thinks its coming from inside the diff. When I get it back I'll double check everything and then will change the fluid to see if that helps. Previous owner said the rear diff is the only part of the car that did not get any attention when he restored it so maybe it's just overdue for a fluid change.

DC
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
69 the year
3rd Gear

when was the last time the diff fluid was replaced it could be old or low...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End Clunk?

Quick Reply: Rear End Clunk?