C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick Flow Heads - No Anti-Seize??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:58 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trick Flow Heads - No Anti-Seize??

I have a set of brand new Trick Flow aluminum heads on my engine. In a couple places in the Trick Flow head instructions, they are adamant that you should never use anti-seize on any bolts going into the heads. They recommend only using a coating of motor oil. Does anybody know why they would recommend against using anti-seize? Everything else I've ever read highly recommends using anti-seize due to the bolt and head being different metals. I am putting mostly stainless steel bolts into the heads and don't want to have to redo them later. So far all I have in is the intake bolts and I only used the coating of oil as they recommended but I'm wondering if I'm going to see oil seepage around the bolts.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The bolts are going into cast iron. same as if the heads were cast iron instead pof aluminum. However if you have to stud anywhere on the heads {threaded holes} anti seize would be in order. For example spark plugs, use anti seize...
Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ironcross
The bolts are going into cast iron. same as if the heads were cast iron instead pof aluminum. However if you have to stud anywhere on the heads {threaded holes} anti seize would be in order. For example spark plugs, use anti seize...
Why SS bolts? Why?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:53 AM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

I was referring mostly to the header bolts, accessory bolts, spark plugs, etc. The intake bolts are into the aluminum heads as well. Trick Flow says anti-seize is a "no no" for these. I just don't understand why. I'll probably contact them tomorrow for clarification.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Be sure to post their explanation, I use anti seize in all threaded holes in my Trick Flows
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinodaVette
I was referring mostly to the header bolts, accessory bolts, spark plugs, etc. The intake bolts are into the aluminum heads as well. Trick Flow says anti-seize is a "no no" for these. I just don't understand why. I'll probably contact them tomorrow for clarification.
Anti-seize on intake bolts (as well as other places, like timing covers, etc.) will allow the bolts to loosen under ordinary use....something you really don't want. This info was included in installation tips when I got my Trick Flows. It's been some years, so maybe they don't include this info presently. Spark plugs are changed frequently, and you generally like them to come out easily.

Last edited by C3 Stroker; 07-20-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using anti-seize on my header bolts and spark plugs for years with my TF heads , not problems.

SS does not corrode or rust, use SS myself
Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

The issue is more than likely galvanic corrosion depending upon the anti seize used. It's possible to wear the actual thread out. As long as you use a graphite based anti seize there shouldn't be an issue. I would check if they have any concern with SS in their aluminum alloy too.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 07-20-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fevre
Been using anti-seize on my header bolts and spark plugs for years with my TF heads , not problems.

SS does not corrode or rust, use SS myself
Double check the galvanic table again, it's also called stain-less...there's a reason for that
Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

For what it's worth:

Trick Flow Tech response about not using anti-seize:

You need a certain amount of friction to acquirer the proper torque. When you use anti-seize you cant acquirer the proper friction so you over torque and you either pull out the threads or don’t achieve proper torque.

Trick Flow Tech response about using stainless steel bolts:

You should be fine.

I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the anti-seize explanation; maybe if a person just gobbed it in there? I would think a light coating would not cause a problem and am still leaning toward using it.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Project80
Racer

For what it's worth:

You need a certain amount of friction to acquirer the proper torque. When you use anti-seize you cant acquirer the proper friction so you over torque and you either pull out the threads or don’t achieve proper torque.

You should be fine.

I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the anti-seize explanation; maybe if a person just gobbed it in there? I would think a light coating would not cause a problem and am still leaning toward using it.

Did Trick Flow have an explanation of why it's ok to put a coating of motor oil on the threads?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

For what it's worth:

You should be fine.

Sounds like their FOS.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Definitely use anti-seize on spark plugs going into aluminum heads.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

If you are talking about torqued bolts, such as the head bolts themselves, then follow the bolt manufacturers recommendations. (You are using ARP, right?) ARP bolts have torque specs based upon whether you are using oil or their lube, they don't have specs for anti-seize coating. On non-torqued bolts, do what you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Trick Flow Heads - No Anti-Seize??

Quick Reply: Trick Flow Heads - No Anti-Seize??