C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel/Air Ratio Meter

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Fuel/Air Ratio Meter

Has anyone used a fuel/air ratio meter to help tune-up their older car? Many years ago I had a fuel/air ratio meter from Heathkit that you could check the exhaust with to verify how rich the engine was running. I found a meter from AutoMeter that uses an oxygen sensor. I am thinking about getting a oxygen senso from the parts store and connecting it to the meter. Then just put the oxygen sensor at the tailpipe.

Roger
Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I want a tune that deep I will go to a local shop that has either a 3 gas or 5 gas detector. The new ones are even portable so they can have a probe up your exhaust while you drive and get readings at all speeds and engine RPMs. I got mine tuned like that for less than an hour's labor and it would pass emissions regulations with no CATs, no smog, intake and cam, and side pipes...though we don't have emissions regulations here.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

You can't put the sensor in the tailpipe. It should be at the collector.

Tuning with a narrow band O2 sensor is almost impossible. There is such a fine line between rich and lean on those gages that you will just watch it flicker back and forth from full rich to full lean.

To do it right requires at least a wide band O2 and better is the 3 / 5 gas detector on a load bearing dyno.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Here you go.

-Mark.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BSeery
You can't put the sensor in the tailpipe. It should be at the collector.

Tuning with a narrow band O2 sensor is almost impossible. There is such a fine line between rich and lean on those gages that you will just watch it flicker back and forth from full rich to full lean.

To do it right requires at least a wide band O2 and better is the 3 / 5 gas detector on a load bearing dyno.

The probe they used on mine was almost five feet long.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

it must be tuned up FIRST, only then can it be used, AFTER it is tuned up.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

My vote is the innovate as well. They were the first on the market with an affordable AFR tool for the do it your self tuners and are still the best in my book. Sure beats burning your fingers on the headers to pull and read plugs. The new LM-2 (I have the LM-1) is an easy to use tool but you have to do your homework on carb tuning if you are using a carburetor. I'm getting 24.5 MPG (HWY) with a 447 HP 350 ZZ430 engine and a 750 Holley. It's one of the best tools I have in the box.

Last edited by GMJim; 07-18-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I've used an Air-Fuel Ratio indicator from Howell Engine Developments in my '78 for about 10 years. It has about a dozen LED lights arranged in a lazy S shape and indicates lean to rich with stoichiometric in the middle. Although it only uses a narrow band oxygen sensor (I installed it in the left header collector), it has been a valuable tool for tuning for optimum performance with both Quadrajets and Holleys. When combined with a vacuum gauge, I can find whether a particular circuit needs tuning, and know which way to go.

For full throttle operation, it is very close to the far limit of its display, but, of course, adjustments at WOT are best based on track results, not on gauge indications.

For other operations such as cruise, it will really show whether the main jets are right, the transfer mixture, and the idle mixture, all of which I set close to stoichiometric. And then, when going towards full throttle, one can see the enrichment come in as the power valve opens (or the metering rods rise), and at what vacuum level.

Unfortunately, it is no longer made by Howell, but there are similar devices made based on oxygen sensor voltages. In fact, if you have a responsive digital voltmeter, one could even know where the mixture was by reading the voltage!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by RMS73
Has anyone used a fuel/air ratio meter to help tune-up their older car? Many years ago I had a fuel/air ratio meter from Heathkit that you could check the exhaust with to verify how rich the engine was running. I found a meter from AutoMeter that uses an oxygen sensor. I am thinking about getting a oxygen senso from the parts store and connecting it to the meter. Then just put the oxygen sensor at the tailpipe.

Roger
OR you can do this.....

http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm

DIY narrow band

-Mark.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summit is selling a wideband for $250

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

this is the best wideband on the market

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

279 bucks
includes wideband sensor.
it realtime datalogs
airfuel,
egt,
rpm
vacuum/boost
throttle position

You either can hook it to your laptop and take it for a drive or
it can synch up to a pda.
The best part is you can hide the control module without having to find a place to install a gauge when you dont want to datalog.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel/Air Ratio Meter

Quick Reply: Fuel/Air Ratio Meter