C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Warning About Edelbrock Heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A Warning About Edelbrock Heads

Guys i have a set of edelbrock heads (angle plug)and i have been having problems with headers.Apparently there are no headers out there that will fit our cars (corvette) SB engine.You will have to have a custom set of headers made.I called edelbrock to find out who makes a set of headers that will fit their heads and he tells me i will have to have a custom set made by kooks or lemons header makers.I am getting kinda pissed off because there is nothing in any advertisement about their heads that there are no headers being made will fit our cars.I told him that i was in a corvette club and alot of other guys are having the same problem and he told me they cant be concerned about them and hung up. .This does suck!!!!!So i tell everybody do not buy their heads,this also applies to all their angle plug heads. Bill

The problem stems from they changed their heads and made the angle different. WHY!!!!!! I hope this spreads like wild fire because they dont care about the corvette community.I usually would not write about something like this,but its the we dont give a rats *** about you certain few corvette owners.

Last edited by Billysvette; 07-14-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Hate hearing that as for maybe since the Roman legions Edel has propelled the world.....FASTER.....

I got really GOOD response some years ago about a intake mani fitting correctly...and it wasn't their heads, even.....

so I can't bitch and whine.....

YMMV it's been years now....what with the China invasion, I not so sure about ANY source today....

Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrvette
Hate hearing that as for maybe since the Roman legions Edel has propelled the world.....FASTER.....

I got really GOOD response some years ago about a intake mani fitting correctly...and it wasn't their heads, even.....

so I can't bitch and whine.....

YMMV it's been years now....what with the China invasion, I not so sure about ANY source today....

Apparenty we the corvette owners are a small majority in the sceam of things.I just would have expected better service then that.I think they know what the fitment problems they have and dont care because its a small portion of the pie that has a problem.Its an american company and we have a icon of a american car ,you would think they would be slightly concerned,i guess its all about the dollar and not the people.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Guys i have a set of edelbrock heads (angle plug)and i have been having problems with headers.Apparently there are no headers out there that will fit our cars (corvette) SB engine.You will have to have a custom set of headers made.
Why specifically is it that headers will not fit Edelbrock heads? Is it that the plug angles are too different? Aren't there headers compatible with angle plug heads?

One thing to keep in mind is that header manufacturers don't want to run afowl of the smog rules for cars. So even if their headers will fit an angle plug head, they still won't advertise this.

Case in point: I have a set of Hedman Hedders on my 68 ZZ4. The ZZ4 has angle plug heads. The Hedman headers I have are the ones made for the factory sidepipe exhaust option of 1969. The catelog indicates that these headers are for straight plug application only. However, they mount up the ZZ4 angle plug heads with no problem. In fact, it looks like the angle plug heads are am even are better fit. The angle plugs give more room at the plug end to attach the plug wires.
Also, the ZZ4 heads have exhaust ports that are higher than the stock ports. Still no fit problems. The headers still fit under the frame. And as for the D ports, I just ground out the Hedman Hedders ports to match the D ports.

My experience leads me to think that some headers made for straight plugs will fit the angle plug heads just fine. Which ones? That's the problem, because I don't think the manufacturers want to advertise they will fit. But if you just look at the headers, it really looks like any header that'll fit straight plugs will work for angle plugs.

Too bad the telephone tech rep guy was a little abrupt with you. I had a similar experience. I was looking at one of Edelbrocks upper end crate engine (BIG $$$$). The tech rep I was talking too acted a little off hand when I wanted to know if their engine would fit under the hood of my 68 (I had an option of going to a BB hood for more clearance). He refused to help. He said they had an engine on display in their lobby and I could come down and measure it. (I live nearby). That's not very effective salesmanship. He lost a sale and I bought a ZZ4. At the time, I could have afforded their engine - mainly because I had no idea as to how much money I would eventually spend on the 68. It's really a shame because Vic Edelbrock Jr seems to be a pretty nice guy.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Why specifically is it that headers will not fit Edelbrock heads? Is it that the plug angles are too different? Aren't there headers compatible with angle plug heads?

One thing to keep in mind is that header manufacturers don't want to run afowl of the smog rules for cars. So even if their headers will fit an angle plug head, they still won't advertise this.

Case in point: I have a set of Hedman Hedders on my 68 ZZ4. The ZZ4 has angle plug heads. The Hedman headers I have are the ones made for the factory sidepipe exhaust option of 1969. The catelog indicates that these headers are for straight plug application only. However, they mount up the ZZ4 angle plug heads with no problem. In fact, it looks like the angle plug heads are am even are better fit. The angle plugs give more room at the plug end to attach the plug wires.
Also, the ZZ4 heads have exhaust ports that are higher than the stock ports. Still no fit problems. The headers still fit under the frame. And as for the D ports, I just ground out the Hedman Hedders ports to match the D ports.

My experience leads me to think that some headers made for straight plugs will fit the angle plug heads just fine. Which ones? That's the problem, because I don't think the manufacturers want to advertise they will fit. But if you just look at the headers, it really looks like any header that'll fit straight plugs will work for angle plugs.

Too bad the telephone tech rep guy was a little abrupt with you. I had a similar experience. I was looking at one of Edelbrocks upper end crate engine (BIG $$$$). The tech rep I was talking too acted a little off hand when I wanted to know if their engine would fit under the hood of my 68 (I had an option of going to a BB hood for more clearance). He refused to help. He said they had an engine on display in their lobby and I could come down and measure it. (I live nearby). That's not very effective salesmanship. He lost a sale and I bought a ZZ4. At the time, I could have afforded their engine - mainly because I had no idea as to how much money I would eventually spend on the 68. It's really a shame because Vic Edelbrock Jr seems to be a pretty nice guy.
Apparenty its the angle of their plugs on their heads,I called summit racing where i bought the heads and they told me they would except them back even though i bolted them up to the block on the stand.They agree with me and also agree about them not advertising that the heads wont fit headers for our cars.So now i must think about what to do.seems that all their trick flow heads now have gone angle pluged,no more staight plug,i asked why and the salesman said he didnot know why they stopped the staight plug heads.Im looking at the dart heads and they have staight plugs,so maybe........i will have to think about it,i will have to dismantle my engine again ,which sucks
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Apparenty its the angle of their plugs on their heads,I called summit racing where i bought the heads and they told me they would except them back even though i bolted them up to the block on the stand.They agree with me and also agree about them not advertising that the heads wont fit headers for our cars.So now i must think about what to do.seems that all their trick flow heads now have gone angle pluged,no more staight plug,i asked why and the salesman said he didnot know why they stopped the staight plug heads.Im looking at the dart heads and they have staight plugs,so maybe........i will have to think about it,i will have to dismantle my engine again ,which sucks
Trick Flow and AFR heads (either straight or angle plugs) will work with Hooker or Blackjack headers.....I've used these combinations OK. Edelbrock uses a different angle, not the standard L-98 or Bow Tie angle used by other makers. Check the Hooker website catalog listings for compatability listings for their headers.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I am buying dart heads.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
I am buying dart heads.
Iron eagles had 'em for a while...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thinking about either pro 1 platinum 180 or 200cc with 72cc chambers.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Trick Flow and AFR heads (either straight or angle plugs) will work with Hooker or Blackjack headers.....I've used these combinations OK. Edelbrock uses a different angle, not the standard L-98 or Bow Tie angle used by other makers. Check the Hooker website catalog listings for compatability listings for their headers.
Are you saying that trick flow angle heads will work with hooker super comp headers?
talked to a rep from summit racing and he said edelbrock deviated from the normal angles .

Last edited by Billysvette; 07-14-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You'll like 'em I'm sure.

Why 72?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Yes thats what im looking at,the 200's dont have duel springs if you look,so if you go with a high lift cam you will need the duel springs.I think single springs handle up to 550 i believe.Im debating in my mind about the 200 and the 215,215 has duel springs which will handle higher lift cams.I will have to investigate how much lift their single springs will handle.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Are you saying that trick flow angle heads will work with hooker super comp headers?
talked to a rep from summit racing and he said edelbrock deviated from the normal angles .
My AFR 210 heads angle plug did NOT have spark plug clearance on # 6 plug with my Hooker S/C headers.

You can dent the tube or the real fix is to just have a shop cut the tubes off the flange and add one inch to each tube. It is the best solution.

My Dart Pro 1's in both 215cc and 227 both cleared without a problem.

Angle plugs are better

Could you send a picture?

Last edited by gkull; 07-14-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Trick Flow angle plug heads with my Hooker headers and have no problems. However, I have side pipe headers so I don't know if the regular headers have different clearance or not. I also use shorty plugs.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
My AFR 210 heads angle plug did NOT have spark plug clearance on # 6 plug with my Hooker S/C headers.

You can dent the tube or the real fix is to just have a shop cut the tubes off the flange and add one inch to each tube. It is the best solution.

Angle plugs are better

Thanks for that info on the afr angle plug heads not fitting the super comp headers.it was said that they would work.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Yes, the Trick Flow angle does work with Hooker Super Comps (p/n 2134, for 63-82 Corvettes). I've used TF 195s, AFR 195s, and currently AFR 210 Eliminators (all angle plug heads) with my Hookers. Edelbrock uses a different angle and will not work.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull

Angle plugs are better

You are correct about tight clearance on #6....I had to dimple slightly with AFR 195s, but the new 210 Eliminators had plenty of room, more than the old 210s....I was told by AFR that the plug position (but not the angle) was changed.

Get notified of new replies

To A Warning About Edelbrock Heads

Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Why not just use straight plug heads?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Had a M.E. splain all this years ago.....what happens is known in the trade as 'stackup'.....one guy/team says we have 'this' to work with and so we can make X, and then some other unrelated crew comes in from outer space and declares we going to do Y, and then X and Y don't interface.....

no surprise....and as end users doing our own elementary engineering we are stuck in the middle or stuck in the END, take your pick......

Last edited by mrvette; 07-14-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

You must know that Edelbrock manufactures racing parts. If a plug location works better in another position than all the rest thats to Edelbrocks advantage. Racers make there own pipes when they can get an advantage of a better head even by a few 10ths. He`s not making parts just to suit Corvette hobbyists. You desire his parts then you must make your own headers. Furthermore how many actually need aluminum heads aside from bragging rights.

I often wondered how many REAL racers are on the forum or any other one. I would call a REAL racer one that has gone at least 125 mph on a sanctioned course. That would include road and drag. I figure that speed would take some serious HP and a few bucks or more investment that a average racer could easily achieve.

Probably need one of those polls

Quick Reply: A Warning About Edelbrock Heads