C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Warning About Edelbrock Heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Why not just use straight plug heads?
They didnot offer straight plugs anymore,i guess they think angle performs better.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Ironcross;1566305471]You must know that Edelbrock manufactures racing parts. If a plug location works better in another position than all the rest thats to Edelbrocks advantage. Racers make there own pipes when they can get an advantage of a better head even by a few 10ths. He`s not making parts just to suit Corvette hobbyists. You desire his parts then you must make your own headers. Furthermore how many actually need aluminum heads aside from bragging rights.

I often wondered how many REAL racers are on the forum or any other one. I would call a REAL racer one that has gone at least 125 mph on a sanctioned course. That would include road and drag. I figure that speed would take some serious HP and a few bucks or more investment that a average racer could easily achieve.

Probably need one of those polls[/QUOTE

Dont know why you went off topic on being a real racer,But this includes all edelbrock angle heads,not just the race heads .And about they make heads and we have to make parts to work with them,thats fine,but ADVERTIST what vehicles might have a problem with their product!!!!!!!!!! Also my pickup truck will best 125 mph.

Last edited by Billysvette; 07-14-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by Billysvette
They didnot offer straight plugs anymore,i guess they think angle performs better.
Which heads? They still show performer RPM straight plug on their web site.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sky65
Which heads? They still show performer RPM straight plug on their web site.
victor jr and trick flow heads.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Road and drag, would one of them include 'straight line' racing? Because thats what I said. Also I included a real racer at only 125 mph. on a sanctioned course. Thats not a very high standard to meet. You go that fast, then maybe you need aluminum heads. You would also need some roll bar or cage protection too. So if you dont have a cage then all the heads are for is bragging rights at the local cruise night bench races. Shined up aluminum heads are positively a show winner....
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Furthermore how many actually need aluminum heads aside from bragging rights.
Bragging rights??
How about saving 60 pounds of ugly cast iron?
Or how about not having to sink a boatload of money into antiquated iron junk?
Or how about being able to run more compression?
Or how about being easy to repair?
Should I go on?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Road and drag, would one of them include 'straight line' racing? Because thats what I said. Also I included a real racer at only 125 mph. on a sanctioned course. Thats not a very high standard to meet. You go that fast, then maybe you need aluminum heads. You would also need some roll bar or cage protection too. So if you dont have a cage then all the heads are for is bragging rights at the local cruise night bench races. Shined up aluminum heads are positively a show winner....
Theres something wrong with you ,read what the post is about,its not about racing,it about fitment of after market parts.read the rest of my post to you and answer why manufactures dont put in there adds that they wont work on certain vehicles.You have to get off this racer thing.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

victor jr and trick flow heads.
AAhhhhhh. Got it. I'm a little slow sometimes.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Bragging rights??
How about saving 60 pounds of ugly cast iron?
Or how about not having to sink a boatload of money into antiquated iron junk?
Or how about being able to run more compression?
Or how about being easy to repair?
Should I go on?
I didnot want to get into all that ,he is really misinformed,this guy is trouble making,totally got off topic

Last edited by Billysvette; 07-14-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Road and drag, would one of them include 'straight line' racing? Because thats what I said. Also I included a real racer at only 125 mph. on a sanctioned course.
wtf does all hat have to do with angle heads and headers?

Originally Posted by yellow 72
60 pounds of ugly cast iron?
I resemble that remark with my iron eagles. Now I'm all hurt and stuff.

Damn, you guys oughta calm down a little.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

They have been changing spark plug positions in chambers looks like
there moving a little higher up in the chamber, the latest dart aluminum
afr eliminator moved them, it would be hard for header companies to make different headers for everything out there everything keeps changing. Edelbrock or anyone else on a race head has to make changes trying to keep up with there competitions heads they can't say well we can't do this no one has a specific header to fit what we need to do. If your not in some serious competition where every little pony counts buy a large runner strait plug head, aluminum heads do save 35 pounds on a small block, you have to have more compression in an aluminum head to make the same power the iron head makes with a little less compression, the aluminum loses heat real fast compaired to iron.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 07-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
They have been changing spark plug positions in chambers looks like
there moving a little higher up in the chamber, the latest dart aluminum
afr eliminator moved them, it would be hard for header companies to make different headers for everything out there everything keeps changing. Edelbrock or anyone else on a race head has to make changes trying to keep up with there competitions heads they can't say well we can't do this no one has a specific header to fit what we need to do. If your not in some serious competition where every little pony counts buy a large runner strait plug head, aluminum heads do save 35 pounds on a small block, you have to have more compression in an aluminum head to make the same power the iron head makes with a little less compression, the aluminum loses heat real fast compaired to iron.
Thats all fine and dandy,but they need to note ,hey we change this for this reason and the product will not work on such vehicles.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good to know. Customer service makes all the difference.

I don't understand why you can't run headers with these heads. What interferes? Have you tried the dynomax headers? They have lots of clearance in all directions.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torqvette
That's good to know. Customer service makes all the difference.

I don't understand why you can't run headers with these heads. What interferes? Have you tried the dynomax headers? They have lots of clearance in all directions.
I talked to edelbrock,and they said their is no header out there that will work right,you have to have custom headers made.My point is if they would have told me and others about that little unknown problem,we would not have bought their product.Just gives me the feeling i got sucker wrote on my forehead.not to mention alot of others.Also the problem with the heads is you cant put a spark plug in the number 6 plug hole.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a TV show on Edelbrock...a one of the few who will not sell out to making crap in China.

Last edited by palamesa; 07-15-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

You must know that Edelbrock manufactures racing parts.
I would argue that!

Old Vic was a racer at one time and it turned into pure money and a gold mine.

They make half *** urban plow boy HP improvement parts. None of it is real race parts. You do not see his top of the line V.J. crap on any real race car. You pay for what you get.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 AM
OldCorvetteKid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its about being upfront and honest about a product and a disclaimer about fitment would seem appropiate in this case to me...Example: Intake manifolds fitting under Corvette hoods. Edelbrock tells you up front which ones won't fit in their spec pages...Sounds like they missed this one to me...Maybe if the person fielding calls at Edelbrock had expressed concern and offered an alternative instead of apathy and rudeness by hanging up they'd still have a satisfied customer willing to spend a thousand bucks...I'd get his name and ask to speak to his superviser about the fitment problem and the problem with the technical support person. I'm sure old Vic wouldn't be happy about the way you were treated on the phone.

One more thing...Just because a product is made in the USA by Americans, does not make a product exempt from criticism or the necessary disclaimers for consumers.

Thanks for making me aware of this potential mis-match of parts related to C-3's, but I will continue to purchase other Edelbock parts in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To A Warning About Edelbrock Heads

Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add another point.... I have the Edelbrock Etec 200 straight plug heads. Yes, the headers I had on my old original iron heads did fit, but they came too close to the ignition leads and I had issues with shorting out after insulation burnt through.

I tried different lead caps (45* angled and 90*) and tried heat insulated socks, but still had issues.

Not too many alternatives available for the very low production number of '68 right hand drive corvettes....

I bit the bullet and had some custom 1.75" tri-Y headers built.
Pricey, but work very well. By routing them specifically for my vehicle, I have reduced heat in cabin, and kept the heat away from the starter, and can access all the plugs for easy removal as well as gained an increase in mid range torque and peak power.

Problem solved.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:28 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a good post and may just save someone in the future of getting caught out as well.its a shame its happened to you and even more dissapointing from edelbrock not to at least show a little more interest in the problem but you did only get one person and he could be captain ******. sounds like the best way is too sort through the best headers you like that do ALMOST fit and have them modified by a shop to work.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to edelbrock,and they said their is no header out there that will work right,you have to have custom headers made.My point is if they would have told me and others about that little unknown problem,we would not have bought their product.Just gives me the feeling i got sucker wrote on my forehead.not to mention alot of others.Also the problem with the heads is you cant put a spark plug in the number 6 plug hole.
I wouldn't believe that. Get short spark plugs, and try the dynomax headers. If they don't fit, just return them.

Or have an exhaust shop bend that one primary tube around the #6 hole. I don't see how those heads could be that different.

Quick Reply: A Warning About Edelbrock Heads