C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side pipe leg burns,anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 01:17 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Side pipe leg burns,anyone else?

Any one else have the mark? When I first got my 'Vette I didn't re-install the covers . I did warn the passenger repeated times then burned my leg for a gas fill stop.
When I did eventually go to the doctor everyone thought cycle burns. I guess they couldn't understand how you burn your leg on a car.
The following users liked this post:
Stinger B (06-13-2019)
Old 12-24-2001, 01:20 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (Techno)

My current Dynomax side pipes don't really get that hot...but they do let you know when you have your leg on the pipe. I have a feeling I will be joining your ranks whenever I drop the big block in and burn my legs on the Hooker Header side pipes :D .
The following users liked this post:
Stinger B (06-13-2019)
Old 12-24-2001, 01:43 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet, I may burn my leg the first time this spring when I put some shorts on for the drive :lol:

I just installed the Hookers, W/glaspack inserts a few weeks ago..
Heres some pics if youd like to see the install..
TC http://www.weavermill.com/exhaust/hookers.htm

Some finished pics here.. http://www.weavermill.com/finish/finish.htm

Old 12-24-2001, 02:19 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I've been branded!
I was really having a hard time deciding if I should buy hookers or go with stock pipes and covers.
I had bought a set of stock mufflers and was running them with no covers when I got burned, thats when I decided F the hookers, I want covers!!!
Old 12-24-2001, 02:29 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,625 Likes on 1,340 Posts

My 72 had Hookers on it when I first bought the car. It looked and sounded great but they are dangerous if there's little kids around at all. My nephew was only about 3 and would always run toward the car when I got home. He came close to laying both hands on it once and that was enough for me. I ripped them off and sold them for $100.I had passengers get burned getting out and I got caught once. Never again :mad
Gary
Old 12-24-2001, 03:08 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

I have had side pipes for years and never been burned, but I always wear long pants. Legs like mine were the reason long pants were invented! Anyway, this summer my 10 year old daughter went for her first ride in my 69. Before I could go around to help her out of the car, she had burned her right leg. Second Degree Burn - HORRIBLE! The burn still has not fully healed.

I would strongly encourage side pipe owners to use JCL's very well designed shield, at least on the passenger side as I did. It gets warm, but not hot enough to burn. Like passing a hot bowl of food at the table. The shield is a fraction of the cost of the medical bills to say nothing of the scar sure to be left and no small amount of guilt for having happened in the first place!

Don't think that JetHot coating will take care of the problem. Mine has it and it didn't make any difference regarding the burn!

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 11:09 AM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 03:58 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-24-2001, 03:59 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

I have been well branded. I knew better, had been warned, had several near misses, but still got in a hurry one day and flopped my chicken legs out and ordered extra crispy. :seeya
Old 12-24-2001, 04:23 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (Chuck Harmon)

Quote:

I would strongly encourage side pipe owners to use JCL's very well designed shield, at least on the passenger side as I did. It gets warm, but not hot enough to burn. Like passing a hot bowl of food at the table. The shield is a fraction of the cost of the medical bills to say nothing of the scar sure to be left and no small amount of guilt for having happened in the first place!

Chuck, where can the JCL shields be purchased that you just mentioned? Thanks,

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Perfection," class of '71
Old 12-24-2001, 04:27 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (Shutdown1)

http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com
Old 12-24-2001, 04:37 PM
Techno
Drifting

My first Vette had the hooker pipes but never got hot just warm. They also didn't have anything in them.
Do these pipes get hot, with the muffler in them? This is what I wanted to change to.
My leg was burned on a stock side pipe without the cover in place.

Depending on the pants they probably won't do any good. If plastic even worse. My leg was burned right through a sock, melted hole in the sock. I'm pretty sure I had pants on, the leg rose up.
Old 12-24-2001, 04:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I remember an almost burn some decades ago....but no experiences since then....but the question I have about them, ....

IS there a combination of some maybe flexible pipe and a stiff inner tube that may be able to be set up in such a way as to look good and cool adequately also??? figger on the muffler in the header section under the hood....???just a short muffler to knock most of the sound down???

anybody ever do anything like that??? not looking to spend tons of cubic bucs on this....

GENE
Old 12-24-2001, 05:03 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (ScubaJKD)

.......thanks Scuba guy!
Old 12-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (mrvette)

mrvette,

I have done more than a little research and fabrication of my own and the short answer is there really isn't a good alternative. Full throttle use generates tremendous heat that would melt virtually anything but asbestos which is not a smart alternative. I had once considered in the early 80's asbestos boiler pipe wrap with a 2.5 inch or 3 inch center lined with wire mesh. To think I could have turned my garage into a superfund site!

The JCL's are really the most efficient considering $$ and performance that I have found. Minimal power loss on the L88 which would mean negligible power loss an anything less potent and reasonably good control while still keeping that roar that so clearly says, "BETTER NOT MESS WITH ME!"

Chuck

Old 12-24-2001, 05:37 PM
Techno
Drifting

An alternative to asbestos is ceramic, this may be almost as bad in the future but has nothing yet.
I cut my stock pipes at the very front and discovered there was nothing but baffles inside. When I drove into or out of the driveway my car rattled the windows.

I stuffed some ceramic blanket insulation in the front baffle compartment, this is also boiler insulation. This quieted it down so the windows didn't rattle anymore. The exhaust goes straight passed this baffle section so the insulation just absorbs sound.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:03 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten burned 4 times from my Hooker side pipes. The pipes also burned the director of advertising for a national magazine, my secretary, my sister and my nephew's girlfriend! After a summer of scorched nightmares, I was talking to Jim Laughlin (JCL) of Spiral Turbo Specialties. He told me he had just completed a set of S/S side pipe shields! I bought a pair, and they're going on next week! The factory sides just didn't flow enough for the ZZ/502, otherwise they would have back on there pronto.
:crazy: :yesnod: :yesnod: :crazy:
P.S.
Jim also has hi-flow factory side pipes now!
Old 12-24-2001, 06:07 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

No burns for me got mine semi covered

Get notified of new replies

To Side pipe leg burns,anyone else?

Old 12-24-2001, 06:11 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would strongly encourage side pipe owners to use JCL's very well designed shield,

Chuck
There's another simpler solution that none of you have mentioned.

If using side-mounted headers, just leave the side-pipe slip-ons off! (see black & white photo below)
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

So wadda they want.....burnt legs or LOTS of noise? Decision time! :D

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 5:12 PM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 06:49 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (67HEAVEN)

67HEAVEN,

I tried that. That is how I met neighbors living 3 blocks away when I first started the car. Seemed to bring out the worst in people! :D

Chuck
Old 12-25-2001, 01:16 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else? (67HEAVEN)

No burns, only pipes I have ever had was the factory side pipes on a 67, go hot but no burns. Don't know about the shark factory side pipes, most likely a reason GM dropped them. :eek:

Quick Reply: Side pipe leg burns,anyone else?