C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Section

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tech Section

well, after a good amount of time, at least a minimum of 35-40 hours of time put into it, the revised Tech Section of my website is up and running.

The link is the same if if you use it and had it bookmarked it should still work.
http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html

I wasn't able to solve EVERY issue i wanted to but I feel it's the best I could come up with to solve as many of the issues that I could, at least with my limited web development skills which are close to none actually.

If you come across any dead links please let me know in case I managed to miss one. I've tried to go thru and check everything but after staring at it for so many hours on end my brain is fried and it wouldn't surprise me if I missed some things somewhere.

Barry
Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 PM
r3rep
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate the effort Barry!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Hey Barry,

I really like the way it works but I've noticed one problem that didn't exist before. When I click on most of the heading titles, the resulting icons and descriptions are way too small to read. The two exceptions are "Cam & Related" and "Cooling System" - I can read the text on those two but the icons are still pretty small. I'm running a display resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Were you able to update all of Lars' papers with his latest versions?

DC
Old 06-22-2008, 07:46 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DC3
Hey Barry,

I really like the way it works but I've noticed one problem that didn't exist before. When I click on most of the heading titles, the resulting icons and descriptions are way too small to read. The two exceptions are "Cam & Related" and "Cooling System" - I can read the text on those two but the icons are still pretty small. I'm running a display resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Were you able to update all of Lars' papers with his latest versions?

DC
strange, the text size should be the same on all the sections, I didn't make any changes from section to section.
The icons are small to begin with and are really only there to identify if the link is a PDF file, a JPG image, or is an external link to a page on another website.
you don't click on the icon, click on the text directly to the right of the icons which is the name of the file.

My monitor is also set for 1280x1024 but if the text is too small you may have your web browser font size set differently (text inside each Accordion section is 10 point as I designed it).
The biggest "problem" I have doing this work is that I use all Mac computers here at home and things can and will display differently on a Window's based PC depending on how the browsers are set up.

Are you saying the text in most of the sections is so small it's not even readable?
Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BarryK
Are you saying the text in most of the sections is so small it's not even readable?
Yes. I use Firefox for my browser and I can increase font size on the fly by hitting "CTRL +". I have to hit "CTRL +" 3-4 times to get the font big enough to read.

DC
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

strange!
here are screenshots from my system with the Accordion closed and with a section open. Font size is readable.
I'll have to try to research the problem.......

Closed Accordion

With Accordion section open
Old 06-22-2008, 09:22 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

strange!
here are screenshots from my system with the Accordion closed and with a section open. Font size is readable.
I'll have to try to research the problem.......
Your first screen shot looks just like my screen. The 2nd screen shot also looks like my screen with the exception of the icons and descriptions within the accordion section. I don't have a screen capture utility (that I know of) or I'd post my screen for you.

DC
Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Seems to work good for me. The page opens up and looks like it does on your upper screenshot. The bottom screenshot with the accordian does have smaller font for me also. I am using FF 3.0.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Carl Granquist
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Can't make it out

Barry,

This is what I get when I go to the Tech page. Tried it a couple of times and I keep getting the same thing. Now it could be my electronics at this end, I don't know.

Just wanted to pass this along.

Carl
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Carl, let me Guess.... are you running IE7?
someone else over in C1/C2 posted a screenshot identical to yours and they were using IE7.
IE7 seems to be breaking a lot of webpages and I'm trying to research the issue.

As for the font size displaying too small in the contents area of each section on browsers other than IE7 (which makes the whole page worthless anyway, I'm trying to figure that out also since it's not doing that for me.

SIGH......... after all of those hours put into this I'm frustrated, disappointed, and brain-fried!
I should have just left the thing alone!! It may not have been perfect but at least it worked
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 AM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm afraid to say it's also illegibly small for me. I'm running firefox 2.0.0.14, on a Mac.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

IE6, same as Carl. Appreciate all your efforts though!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

UPDATE:

ok, I made a boatload of changes in the background that I think MIGHT have worked but i need you guys with PC's to please check it since it displays perfectly for me as it has since the beginning.

for those using IE6 or IE7 that the entire page is broken this probably isn't going to fix that yet, i'm still trying to diagnosis that issue, but for those that their browsers opened up the page fine but the font size inside the Accordion was tiny I think that's fixed now if you would check and confirm one way or the other for me.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Looking good now. The accordian font is a nice size now. Easier for me to read on FF 3.0.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

. . . i need you guys with PC's to please check it since it displays perfectly for me as it has since the beginning.
Working now and much improved! The fonts in each of the accordion sections are now the same size as the heading titles.

Firefox 2.0.0.14

Thanks!

DC

Last edited by DC3; 06-23-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added Firefox version.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

cool, thanks guys.

One issue worked out, now i just have to figure out how to get it to not break the page in IE
Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

ok guys, here is the scoop...........

I have so many frickin' hours invested in the overhaul of this page that it's going to take me a while to get motivated to have to start all over again from scratch just to make it work with IE6 and IE7, which are both browsers that DO NOT conform to web compliance standards and fixxing the page to work with IE won't work.
I've had the page tested in the brand new IE8 beta versions and it works on that, so.......... what i've decided is to leave the page as is for now.
I'll add a not on the top of the page that it does NOT work with IE6 or IE7 and will require viewing the page with another Browser such as Firefox.
You can download Firefox or wait for the new IE8, (or do yourselves a huge favor and buy a Mac instead of your Windows based PC ) but I'm too brain-fried to start creating the page all over again from scratch.
Those with IE, I'm sorry, but that's the way it has to be for now. I can only do so much and can only put so much time and effort into this.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech Section

Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

We all appreciate your time and effort, Barry!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Barry,
First off I really enjoy reading these Tech Papers.
Did you save your original Tech section web site? I HOPE SO If so, just an idea, reload the old Tech files and make a main page when the Tech section opens. Two simple links Mac user or PC user, now the viewer has the selection for viewing your web pages.
Thank You for your time and efforts.
Brian
Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Granquist
Barry,

This is what I get when I go to the Tech page. Tried it a couple of times and I keep getting the same thing. Now it could be my electronics at this end, I don't know.

Just wanted to pass this along.

Carl
Thanks so much for your effort Barry, I've also used your site and it's very helpful.

I also get the same page show above.

Quick Reply: Tech Section