C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overkill Dynamat job- '74 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overkill Dynamat job- '74 Corvette

Well guys, after letting this car sit for 2.5 years, I decided in March to overhaul the interior and go crazy with Dynamat and it's various insulating products. I purchased 3 boxes of Dynamat Xtreme (27 pieces of 32X24"), 7 sheets of Extremeliner, one sheet of Dynaliner, and one Hoodliner sheet.

I decided to do this project for one simple reason- when I drove the car in February, it was 75 degrees outside but inside, it was 100. It had to be done and after owning the car for 10.5 years, I had spent $0.00 on the interior until now. I decided to go with the Dark Saddle color from '73 instead of the stock '74 Medium Saddle. I am just about done with it and need to get on the weatherstripping next. The ultimate goal is to install a VintageAir unit next. I do realize that I've added at least 90lbs to the car. I've made up for that (in my mind) by using an aluminum intake manifold, headers rather than manifolds, light VetteBrakes front and rear fiberglass springs, etc.

I started it March 7th and have about 37 hours into it....

I plan to pull the transmission and use Dynamat in the trans tunnel up underneath.

Pictures in this album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bob1974/...rCorvetteforum

Last edited by Bob Turner; 06-20-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great work.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I would be interested in hearing what your results are when you get it all done and back on the street. It looks like you have done a nice job to me. I am going to guess it makes the car much more solid. Are you doing the doors in any way? Covering the outer skins or the sheet metal frame of the doors?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Durango.

Eddie- Thanks. I do plan on doing the driver's door in the Dynamat Extreme and using a 1/4" Dynaliner pad (self adhesive) on the door panel itself (not the door skin). I haven't done that yet as I need new door panels. I did drive the car briefly a couple weeks ago- I did notice a significant reduction in heat radiating through the floor. It was 101 degrees outside driving it and although I don't have a/c yet, I was "warm" but not overly hot with the pass window up. That was the first time driving that car in the desert where it was actually "pleasant".

I pulled the motor out of it last weekend and once the trans is out, I will also apply the Dynamat along with some off the Hoodliner material to reflect any heat radiating from the transmission (it should help what I did inside on the trans hump)

As for noise, I temporarily installed a 10" Bazooka tube and there are NO rattles when you crank the bass up like there were before. Also- relating to noise, I want to get the weatherstripping done as well. The front 4 speakers sound great.

I will post an update once I get the weatherstripping completed.

I think that even a mild Dynamat job JUST in the areas of the firewall and floorboards for low cost would make a big difference in heat. My wife has never liked the car because of the excessive heat, so I hope I can turn her around on this!!

Bob
Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did I see dynamat being put on the t-top? Like more info on that. What does the finished product look like, from outside and inside.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

heh....OUT IN FUN IX AZ. you need all the insulation you can get++++

a whole bunch more.....wish I could get you to do MY car, I"d even buy materials.....

good job man, going to be cool in hell this season, well maybe NEXT season....

Get notified of new replies

To Overkill Dynamat job- '74 Corvette

Quick Reply: Overkill Dynamat job- '74 Corvette