C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
cajos
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avner
I bought VA from a dealer through Ebay one month ago and send it to a transport company to ship it overseas.
It's cost me $1190 with free shipping in US, I think its good price because VA want $1299 + shipping.
Avner
Could you figure out what seller and the approx. shipping?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Very nice job!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:05 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by cajos
Could you figure out what seller and the approx. shipping?
The seller was myclassicshop.
I didn't understand the end of your question???
The shipping in US was free and to ship it to Israel cost me about $300.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I need to do this project. We drive from Kenmore WA to Napa CA every year for a week in our '71 Roadster, and the drive through Redding at 105° kills us. Last year we took, and this year we are taking, her Boxster S, just because it has AC. Hopefully it would be powerful enough to cool occupants when the car's top is down.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its been a couple of months but since the Vette is in the body shop, I found time to work on some of the myriad of other projects. I finally got around to converting the non-A/C controller for the Vintage Air system. The conversion basically involved removing all the vacuum components, installing a new plastic bezel for the A/C, DEF, and Heat...and installing the circuit boards that control it all. The system uses the original little "arms" that connect to the thumbwheels, to slide the potentiometers along the circuit boards, which in turn sends electrical signals to motors and valves to direct air and control temps. NO MORE vacuum lines!! As far as difficulty, the controller conversion required drilling of 2 small holes. Thats it. Everything else was unscrew the old, screw on the new. VERY EASY to do. I "restored" my entire controller in the process which involved taking it apart, stripping off all the old paint, respraying with Krylon satin black, then exposing the chrome with a cloth moistened with acetone.

I also have been restoring my entire console the same way. Installed the new shifter bezel for the 2004R Overdrive transmission. Hers what it looks like all put together...I'll see if I can get some better photos with better lighting...but for now...

And my tach and speedo bezels...

Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow those look great. I'm amazed that kit is designed to work so well with the C3 controls.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Vintage Air Front Runner

If your interested the Vintage Air Front Runner Serpentine Belt System Bolts right into a C3. I took a Chance and purchesed a wile back and was surprised to not have to modifiy anything. The Bottom Pulley sits very Close to the Frame and I have herd of People who have had to mod the Frame but I didn't. The Type II PS Pump will probably need a seperate Tank. If you are also useing a Rack and Pinion Steering setup you will need a 1.5 Gal Type II pump rather than the Stock Type II.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any further progress on the a/c install (I do realize it's winter!)?

I am now sold on the VintageAir unit after seeing those pictures of you modifying the controls with those circuit boards that eliminate those vacuum hoses!!!!

Just to clarify, the kit comes with the appropriate mounting brackets (small block or big block), correct?

Can you direct me to your source for the 3 groove pulley that you installed (on the crank)?

I appreciate your time in updating us on the install!!!!! It's priceless!

Bob
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bob Turner
Any further progress on the a/c install (I do realize it's winter!)?

I am now sold on the VintageAir unit after seeing those pictures of you modifying the controls with those circuit boards that eliminate those vacuum hoses!!!!

Just to clarify, the kit comes with the appropriate mounting brackets (small block or big block), correct?

Can you direct me to your source for the 3 groove pulley that you installed (on the crank)?

I appreciate your time in updating us on the install!!!!! It's priceless!

Bob
Hey Bob...

I have been pretty slack on the Vette for the last couple of months, with the holidays, and a couple of home "honey-do" projects taking front burner position. Actually I am about to finally paint the car, probably in the next 3-4 weeks. After finishing the A/C controller, I have shelved the interior projects until after the paint is done. Once the paint is done, I'll start to do the interior install. I have EVERYTHING to do it, just waiting for the paint to get done. Then I'll hook up the Vintage Air controller and get the system charged up, then try it out. I really dont expect that to happen until March/April. But I will post the results, etc when its all done. FWIW, I got an issue of Vette Fever for Christmas and they are doing a Vintage Air install in a C2 (I think its a 3 part article, I dont usually read that magazine, but the article looked pretty informative)

The kits comes with the appropriate brackets for your application...

I purchased an "add-a-pulley" for the crank, converting the 2-groover to a 3-groover... Got it from the local Chevy dealer. I'm out of town right now but can look up the part number when I get home. Its a bolt on deal.

Hope all this helps for now..

Rob
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Nice work and great pictures MakoShark72. This question is for all of the Forum members who have installed an aftermarket A/C system in their Vette. The Vintage unit looks like the evap. core hangs down into the passenger compartment. Does the evap. core make it a tight fit for passenger leg room? Does the Hot Rod Air evap. coil sit as low as the Vintage Air unit? The Vintage Air system looks like it will work well with the stock thumbwheels for temp and the A/C / heater control. Any Forum member's comments are greatly appreciated, houstonvett
Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Hey Rob.... when you get a chance - can you post or email pics of teh wiring ?

btw.........NICE JOB !
Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Hey Rob... I have a few questions/thoughts I would throw at you....

I got some good pics - will post afte rI get some more headway on this project - I gotta get it done...

Air Ducts
What did you do to resolve the tight fit behind the center console?

Wiring
1. I felt the 30 amp fuse should be near the battery (in the rear compartments) and not under the E-brake console. I felt VA should have made the 30 Amp Fuse about 6-12" farther away from the ECU and it would have made it easy to locate the fuse in the rear compartments. As it is - I BARELY made it fit.

2. I also felt the blue and green wires (main harness) should go forward from the Relay area, rather than having them parallel the Red (+) and white (-) wires going towards the battery. So - I unwrapped my main harness and detoured the long blue (binary switch) and green wire (heater valve) towards the front of the car and wrapped those wires separately.

2. How did you route the long blue wire (main harness) through the firewall that goes to the Binary Switch/Compressor Safety Switch at the Dryer?

3. How did you route the 24” blue wire (has one spade connector and one black bullet connector) that goes from the binary switch to the one wire w/a bullet connector on the Sanden compressor...? I ask because the short wire on the Sanden compressor is routed intricately behind the pulley and comes out underneath the compressor. It sure seems like they could route that wire in a better location.

4. Just curious where you mounted the chassis ground for the other side of the Heater Control Valve that has the female spade connector and a ring connector?

5. I am also trying to leave my 2 relays 'loose' near the right side of the console for easy access - possibly mounting them behind the passenger dash pad. Again - if Vintage allowed just 6-12" of wire here - this would be easy (provided there is indeed room behind the passenger dash pad).

Last edited by kaiserbud; 05-06-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

And as I see - your clear plastic indicator has imprinted letters that are printed too far to the left like mine. Vintage should really fix that as it looks bad.

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Pacha
Instructor

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Its been a couple of months but since the Vette is in the body shop, I found time to work on some of the myriad of other projects. I finally got around to converting the non-A/C controller for the Vintage Air system. The conversion basically involved removing all the vacuum components, installing a new plastic bezel for the A/C, DEF, and Heat...and installing the circuit boards that control it all. The system uses the original little "arms" that connect to the thumbwheels, to slide the potentiometers along the circuit boards, which in turn sends electrical signals to motors and valves to direct air and control temps. NO MORE vacuum lines!! As far as difficulty, the controller conversion required drilling of 2 small holes. Thats it. Everything else was unscrew the old, screw on the new. VERY EASY to do. I "restored" my entire controller in the process which involved taking it apart, stripping off all the old paint, respraying with Krylon satin black, then exposing the chrome with a cloth moistened with acetone.

Since you have to remove the vaccum lines how do you opperate the heater valve shut-off? or is it no longer neccessary?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Pacha
Instructor

Originally Posted by ccs96
I installed one in my 76 which was an AC car. Not a bad job once Vintage rebuilt the condensor lines to fit my 76; and re configured the evaporator lines so they were properly lined up. (I had to ship the evaporator back to them so they could make the lines work). Vintage thought they had a system that would drop right into 75's and 76's, but they were wrong. I was very patience with them and they were very cooperative in fixing things, they even redesigned the outlet on the evaporator so that there would be one less piece of ductwork (there was not enough room behind the gauge cluster). One other thing I didn't care for was that I had to trim part of the passenger lower dash where it hits the evaporator, it still does not fit exactly right, but it works.
All in all I am happy with the Vintage system and they were easy to deal with, I just wish I would not have been the guy to discover than their system was not a "drop in' for 76's.

here's the evap. with my new insulation.
So they have now a 76 specific product? I have a 76 and want to buy a VA kit
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pacha
Since you have to remove the vaccum lines how do you opperate the heater valve shut-off? or is it no longer neccessary?
All electric now
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
And as I see - your clear plastic indicator has imprinted letters that are printed too far to the left like mine. Vintage should really fix that as it looks bad.
And I thought it was just my sloppy work....

Get notified of new replies

To Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Hey Rob... I have a few questions/thoughts I would throw at you....

I got some good pics - will post afte rI get some more headway on this project - I gotta get it done...

Air Ducts
What did you do to resolve the tight fit behind the center console?

Wiring
1. I felt the 30 amp fuse should be near the battery (in the rear compartments) and not under the E-brake console. I felt VA should have made the 30 Amp Fuse about 6-12" farther away from the ECU and it would have made it easy to locate the fuse in the rear compartments. As it is - I BARELY made it fit.

2. I also felt the blue and green wires (main harness) should go forward from the Relay area, rather than having them parallel the Red (+) and white (-) wires going towards the battery. So - I unwrapped my main harness and detoured the long blue (binary switch) and green wire (heater valve) towards the front of the car and wrapped those wires separately.

2. How did you route the long blue wire (main harness) through the firewall that goes to the Binary Switch/Compressor Safety Switch at the Dryer?

3. How did you route the 24” blue wire (has one spade connector and one black bullet connector) that goes from the binary switch to the one wire w/a bullet connector on the Sanden compressor...? I ask because the short wire on the Sanden compressor is routed intricately behind the pulley and comes out underneath the compressor. It sure seems like they could route that wire in a better location.

4. Just curious where you mounted the chassis ground for the other side of the Heater Control Valve that has the female spade connector and a ring connector?

5. I am also trying to leave my 2 relays 'loose' near the right side of the console for easy access - possibly mounting them behind the passenger dash pad. Again - if Vintage allowed just 6-12" of wire here - this would be easy (provided there is indeed room behind the passenger dash pad).
Harry..

Air ducts... Push really hard!
1. Yup
2a. Did the same thing I think
2b. ran it through the "4-hole" firewall grommet, then along the hard metal vacuum line across the firewall, under the wiper door vac can, under fender with the vac lines to the wiper relay, then along the VA hoses/lines to the dryer...I think!!!
3. IIRC, the "harness" you describe runs from the compressor to the dryer, black bullet plugs into compressor pigtail, blue wire goes to one side of the dryer...?
4. Ran it up along side the firewall and mounted to the stud that holds the vacuum tubing clip, just aft of the dipstick, just below the wiper door limit switch contraption...how's that for clarity!
5. I hear ya...mine fit nicely where I mounted them...in the picture I sent ya.

Make ANY sense at all???
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
livelotus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the same problem with my 76 install. They sent me a second plastic window, it was a little better but still the writting is way off. Hope they fix this little issue, to an otherwise great kit.

H
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM
ccs96
Pro

St. Jude Donor 06-'07

I bought an after market control unit and did not use VA's window.

Originally Posted by Pacha
So they have now a 76 specific product? I have a 76 and want to buy a VA kit
I would think they do have a drop in for your 76 now. Mine pretty much was once they worked out the kinks.

Quick Reply: Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system