C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you feel safe running on slip fit trailing arm bearings?
Yes
48.81%
No
51.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Is it Safe to Slip Fit TA Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is it Safe to Slip Fit TA Bearings?

This subject has come up before and now I see it again. The question is...do you feel safe running on slip fit bearings in your trailing arms?

Last edited by Binnie77; 06-02-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Low horsepower,stock tire cruiser I wouldn't worry too much.I'm not a big fan of slipfits and I would never recommend but I do have a half dozen cars that I service and they are much easier to work on.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 06-03-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
This subject has come up before and now I see it again. The question is...do you feel safe running on slip fit bearings in your trailing arms?
No, For several reasons.

Just a few reasons.

At a minimum the slip fit slips. If nothing else you get wear like this over time. Then it is impossible to set the clearances.

Then things like this can happen. If it does, you can loose the wheel and axle. Both of these did.

On the others the bearing failed. On this one just the shaft broke.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a good idea. Mine will stay pressed fit.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
No, For several reasons.

Just a few reasons.

At a minimum the slip fit slips. If nothing else you get wear like this over time. Then it is impossible to set the clearances.

Then things like this can happen. If it does, you can loose the wheel and axle. Both of these did.

On the others the bearing failed. On this one just the shaft broke.

Definitely not.... but there are others who will argue the point!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 854 Likes on 247 Posts

There has been a lot of discussion recently on slip fit and also in the past.
There seems to be a point that doesn't get discussed too much.
Based on wombvette's picture, there is clear evidence that the bearing race has slipped and ruined the axle.

My question...
Slip fit or not, the inner races on the axle are sandwiched together with a spacer and shims, held tightly with 100+ ft Lbs. of torque, by the axle nut.
At what point are the bearing rollers able to provide enough friction to over come the 100+ lbs torque holding the inner race in place.

If the bearing becomes that dry or beat up, I don't think a slip fit or press fit is going to make much difference. Bad things are going to happen.

I agree that a slip fit can be dangerous if you twist off an axle. The chances of that are so low, it's hardly an issue.
The chances of blowing a tire are much greater and somewhat as dangerous. How many of us are running high speed rated tires.

I'm not trying to argue the point, just trying to put some reality into the discussion.

If your bearings are greased and in good condition, then slip fit is not an issue. Unless you count axle breakage.

With slip fit, you can check/grease the bearings easily to ensure many years of trouble free driving.

Yes, I have slip fit bearings, for over 25 years now.
Yes, I have raced my Vette.
Yes, I have twisted both axles and have replaced them.
No, I have never had a bearing race turn on the axle.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks, Barry
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No. The spindle usually snaps at the splines. Once that snaps, the only thing holding the rest of the spindle in the support is the press fit inner bearing. The brake caliper bracket doesn't care - it will snap off once the inner bearing slips off of the spindle journal. Then you will lose a tire.

Last edited by stinger12; 06-03-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
There has been a lot of discussion recently on slip fit and also in the past.
There seems to be a point that doesn't get discussed too much.
Based on wombvette's picture, there is clear evidence that the bearing race has slipped and ruined the axle.

My question...
Slip fit or not, the inner races on the axle are sandwiched together with a spacer and shims, held tightly with 100+ ft Lbs. of torque, by the axle nut.
At what point are the bearing rollers able to provide enough friction to over come the 100+ lbs torque holding the inner race in place.

If the bearing becomes that dry or beat up, I don't think a slip fit or press fit is going to make much difference. Bad things are going to happen.

I agree that a slip fit can be dangerous if you twist off an axle. The chances of that are so low, it's hardly an issue.
The chances of blowing a tire are much greater and somewhat as dangerous. How many of us are running high speed rated tires.

I'm not trying to argue the point, just trying to put some reality into the discussion.

If your bearings are greased and in good condition, then slip fit is not an issue. Unless you count axle breakage.

With slip fit, you can check/grease the bearings easily to ensure many years of trouble free driving.

Yes, I have slip fit bearings, for over 25 years now.
Yes, I have raced my Vette.
Yes, I have twisted both axles and have replaced them.
No, I have never had a bearing race turn on the axle.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks, Barry

I agree with most of what you say, but you would not believe how many units I get in my shop that have no sleeve and shim. They try to set them up like the fronts and just drop the cotter pin in the castle nut and let er go. Some are tightened with no shim or sleeve which is disasterous. You might have good luck and get long service from slip fit, but think about it. A lot of development went into these things. Lots of high paid engineers, with the best test facilities in the world and no axe to grind either way. They thought it was necessary. I`m going with them.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with most of what you say, but you would not believe how many units I get in my shop that have no sleeve and shim. They try to set them up like the fronts and just drop the cotter pin in the castle nut and let er go. Some are tightened with no shim or sleeve which is disasterous. You might have good luck and get long service from slip fit, but think about it. A lot of development went into these things. Lots of high paid engineers, with the best test facilities in the world and no axe to grind either way. They thought it was necessary. I`m going with them.
I agree with you on this one. However, the engineers don't always know best.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
I agree with you on this one. However, the engineers don't always know best.
Do you honestly think the GM engineers would have went through all this trouble of pressing bearings on if they really didn't need it?

PS: I'm not trying to start a fight, so don't take it the wrong way please.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

but you would not believe how many units I get in my shop that have no sleeve and shim. They try to set them up like the fronts and just drop the cotter pin in the castle nut and let er go. Some are tightened with no shim or sleeve which is disasterous.
I have only had 1 come in without the sleeve and shim but both rear axles showed signs of the inner race spinning.Leaving the sleeve and spacer out is a no no.I set it back up with new axles and press fit.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

I will guarantee to you that Chevy Engineering felt they were absolutely necessary, or it would NOT have been designed that way. In the 1960's, GM was all about making money...any un-necessary part would have been eliminated, in order to save a dime [or even less]. No way would a spacer and shim be left in the design when it meant extra co$t...unless it was necessary!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Since were talking about engineering.I sure wish they would have put more space between the inner and outer bearings.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Since were talking about engineering.I sure wish they would have put more space between the inner and outer bearings.
Why?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
ctk30
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would support the load better
Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by stinger12
Why?
Rotor runout would be less effected by shaft end play.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:51 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Rotor runout would be less effected by shaft end play.
How much wider are we talking about here?

Get notified of new replies

To Is it Safe to Slip Fit TA Bearings?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

How much wider are we talking about here?
I'm not an engineer but I wonder since there is about 2" between the bearings what another inch would do.That could almost be done with the same axle length.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

I'm not an engineer but I wonder since there is about 2" between the bearings what another inch would do.That could almost be done with the same axle length.
I doubt it. That would reduce the contact area on the spindle flange and splines...not a good idea. You'd have to make the spindle longer and then make a new spindle support to house the new spacer and shim for the bearings. You'd also have to shorten the half shafts to keep the stock location of the wheel in the wheel well. To save time they put the endplay spec between 0.001-0.008. That is too much, but can you imagine how slow the process would have been if they set the spec to 0.001-0.002? They cut corners on the endplay, but they didn't cut corners on the pressed bearings for a reason - safety. I'm done bickering now
Old 06-03-2008, 05:52 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

I doubt it. That would reduce the contact area on the spindle flange and splines...not a good idea. You'd have to make the spindle longer and then make a new spindle support to house the new spacer and shim for the bearings. You'd also have to shorten the half shafts to keep the stock location of the wheel in the wheel well. To save time they put the endplay spec between 0.001-0.008. That is too much, but can you imagine how slow the process would have been if they set the spec to 0.001-0.002? They cut corners on the endplay, but they didn't cut corners on the pressed bearings for a reason - safety. I'm done bickering now
As I said before I'm not a fan of slip fit but when they come in the shop if set up properly I dont refuse to work on them.I do share with them the points that have been made in this thread.
I would not consider the bearing width discussion you and I are talking about bickering.I think their might be a market for a retro-fit assembly to make the rear bearing less scary for guys that dont have the tools to work on them.Really dont you think that it the reason for the slip fit mod?
One other thought-instead of using the same bearings and moving them away from each other how about using a bearing like front wheel drive cars have and like is in the rear wheels of a C5?

Quick Reply: Is it Safe to Slip Fit TA Bearings?