C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you feel safe running on slip fit trailing arm bearings?
Yes
48.81%
No
51.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Is it Safe to Slip Fit TA Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Hey Tom,
Rather then tie up this post with my findings, I'll PM you about the grease.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
white80driver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info about the grease?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I don't want to put this thing together just to find out I made a mistake. Hey GTR1999 since I just packed my bearings and pressed them on NOW can you tell me if using the NEW Mobil 1 is going to be a problem? I set the end play at .0015" but haven't rechecked them since I pressed it all together. Did I make a mistake and should I pull it all back apart and use some other lube?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
My sincerest apologies for starting such "stupid threads". I would delete it if I could. Perhaps one of the moderators will see fit to do so.
Sorry that was a poor choice of words. I did not mean it the way it sounded.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 AM
swampblues
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually appreciate this thread - and learned a lot.

here is my "situation" - my corvette is sitting on ramps since i had the left rw bearings fail - ever since i did a lot of little things to the car including changing the lef rw axle and bearings - planing on checking and greasing my bearings regularly i had the axle machined to slip fit (very tight though) the bearing - i installed them with the spacer that was on the original(?) axle - but when applying torque to the castle nut - it locks the wheel up - - -
so reading this i learned that i need to get the proper amount of shims before i can apply the proper amount of torque.
so now i will not even TRY to drive around with the nut backed up (like on the front wheels).
this thread showed me that there is a difference between slip fitting bearings and being plain stupid (which is where i was heading).

i still appreciate to make my own customized decisions though - or like my mama says - it's not WHAT you do it is HOW you do it.

so thanks guys - between the biggering - i found info.

Quick Reply: Is it Safe to Slip Fit TA Bearings?