C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny is rattling in reverse....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Wisp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny is rattling in reverse....

Hi Guys…

I have come to a problem with my 72.

When I put in reverse there are high rattling noises (from tranny I think)
It sound like 2 metal plates rubbing. The sound is the same if I am rolling in reverse, or I am standing on the brake in reverse..

I have replaced oil and filter in gearbox less than 100 miles ago.
There is no noise what so ever, when I am in forward.

Running with a th400 tranny.

Any inputs…?

Best regards Søren
Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
gbags
Instructor

I think I just went through this. Car was jacked up for 3 months and was installing interior. Put i n drivers seat and lowered her and she shuddered in reverse when I went toback her out. In drive auto she only shifted through 1st and into second never making it o third. Reaults rebuild 30 year old tranny with shift kit for first time in her career>!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Wisp
Instructor

Hi...

So the only solution is to rebuild the hole tranny?
It shift soft and quick in 1,2 and 3....

Søren
Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
gbags
Instructor

Transmission dude adjusted for what he thought was good. I drove it and it shifts quickly and smooth into second and I barely noticed the shift into 3rd and had to look at the tach to notice it. We talked about leaving it like this for a month or so to see how I like it and then make adjustments to make it shift harder and later it so desired.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your motor mounts I had the same rattel only forward and it turned out to be I had a busted MM and my shroud bolts were hitting my fan making kinda the noise you are talking about.I was getting ready to Re-Build my tranny and it was just the driver side MM was in two pieces.letting my fan hit the bolts on the shroud.went from re-build to replace .engine & tranny mount urathane about $100. bucks. in reverse it would mean the passenger side was bad that side of my 75 was loaded with greasy oil (Valve covers at one time) anyway that might be your problem get another person to put it in reverse and stand right up at the shrouding area.And oh yes I bought a tranny re-build kit and a shift kit. but dont want to do it if I dont need to My UNCLE would say If It Aint broke Dont Fix It.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny is rattling in reverse....

Quick Reply: Tranny is rattling in reverse....