C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan install pics request - show me what you got!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I have. 93-97 F-body dual fans mounted to a 1976 radiator. You can see the aluminum angle brackets in the picture. Two on top and two on bottom. They mount to the factory holes in the radiator.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a newly cored copper/brass radiator. The original upper brackets for the old shroud hold the spals in place up top:

A bit of foam between them and the radiator works great. On the bottom, the radiator support has two tabs hanging out - one each side - with 1/4-20 posts on them for securing the OEM shroud. So I used those tabs to secure the bottom of the SPAL assembly by bolting a piece of flat aluminum to the SPAL setup, cut to match the width between the above studs.

This has been in place now for three seasons and they have stayed in place & kept the 383 cool all along. No problems with this installation, though I have changed the wiring & relay setup a few times.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Im getting ready to tackle this project. Id like to see some of your install methods. Im liking the Mark VIII fan but might have to come up with something tricky for my OEM rad, If I decide to keep it. Im also open to other fans.

The more pics the better. Brent...
You asked for pics, we sent 'em! In addition to my Spal setup with the above pictures, I had the alt rebuilt & upgraded to 95A

This is a cheap, KRAGEN Chrome alternator that I bought years ago when I first got the car. I've had it rebuilt a few times, but the last time was when I put the dual spals on it. They upgraded the output, put new bearings in the casing and gave me a longer stud atop the connection, so that I can wire the spal fans directly to the alternator.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Dual 13 inch Spals on BeCool rad with custom brackets, so far I've only needed one fan
I did ask whether the fans should be closer or sealed off onto the rad and the guy told me the fans should be off the rad a bit, in other words there should be a small space between the fan and rad. These guys have been doing this type of fabrication for a long time and I believe them. It would have been nothing at all for them to seal the fans against the rad. I think they are about 1/4 inch or so off.

White box in upper corner is programmable temp controller, I have another one that I haven't installed yet

Last edited by MotorHead; 12-24-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:22 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm using a factory GM dual fan setup from a 96 Z28. Three relays control the operation of the fans. They both will run in slow speed when commanded on then both will run in high speed if the temperature still rises. The fuel injection system (LS1) Pcm is used to control their operation. GM went to a three relay architecture to keep the fan noise down and to help in the service life of the fans.

Last edited by KENS80V; 12-25-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:01 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
You asked for pics, we sent 'em! In addition to my Spal setup with the above pictures, I had the alt rebuilt & upgraded to 95A

This is a cheap, KRAGEN Chrome alternator that I bought years ago when I first got the car. I've had it rebuilt a few times, but the last time was when I put the dual spals on it. They upgraded the output, put new bearings in the casing and gave me a longer stud atop the connection, so that I can wire the spal fans directly to the alternator.
Paul
Merry X-MAS

I've been running the Mark VIII fan with a big block radiator for 2 summers now and will be using this set-up for the LS1 going in this winter. I may have to convert over to an AD244 alternator as the LS1 CS130 is borderline for this fan set-up.

This thread back in teh day certainly helped!!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 AM
1mpalss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mark VIII install

Here's the Mark VIII I'm putting in my 70:

Another angle:

I think I screwed up a little as the driver's side upper control arm might interfere a bit with the shroud. Hope I can use the heat gun to reshape the plastic for enough clearance.

Power and relays:

Quick Reply: Electric fan install pics request - show me what you got!!