C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snorkel or no snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default snorkel or no snorkel

hey guys just wondering if the dual snorkel setup on my 80 is worth keeping. i was ripping most of it apart today to try to get my radiator fan off and noticed that it doesnt seem like it can cram a lot of air into the carb and it has a lot of spots where air can leak out. i like the classic chrome covered/exposed air filters but would it effect my performance that much?
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yhe factory dual snorkel was engineered to deliver cool air to the engine. Removing it will somewhat unclutter the engine compartmnt, but almost certainly causew a small loss of power due to the engine sucking in hot air from under the vettes tight hood. The choice is yours.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:48 AM
jasper711
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

My 77 L-48 had a single snorkle routed from the radiator support apparently for cool air.

It made the car noticeably faster when I replaced that with an open element.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hrmm two posts going in different directions... well I have a L-48 with a dual snorkel and i can see how it pumps cool air into my carb but honestly it doesnt seem to be in the best shape on my car. and since its right above the radiator wouldnt it be fairly hot air running in anyways. one of the snorkels is pretty useless since the air has to twist and turn to make it to the filter and there are numerous spots where it can escape... also both snorkels are open all the time... the flaps that normally open and close where removed. im going to try to pop the snorkels off and go with an exposed filter and see how that runs for a while. it sucks since my radiator fan seems to blow hot air right at the filter (which explains the snorkels) but the snorkels dont seem to have a lot of room to grab cold air from under the hood.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

If you times slip show an improvement, believe it. Seat of the pants impressions are usually wrong. Ron B.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
slaine
Instructor

Hi, I have the dual snorkle setup on a 1980. It was originally an L-48. The motor is now a 406. It runs 12.4 with the snorkles in place. The underhood heat is incredible. I like having the cool air intakes for the carb. The open element filter probably looks sexier and it definately makes more noise when you put your foot in it. I like telling people that my motor is a stock 350 with headers. The stock air cleaner and snorkles really promote that image. I'm pretty sure that a well sealed dual snorkle setup is faster than the open element.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
bodaboom69
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

i pulled all of the duct work off my 81 and drilled about 2" holes all around the air cleaner base. i don't have any time slips of before and after and i don't know if i agree with the seat of the pants feel being wrong all the time. but,, i felt a difference immediately. the motor does feel like it's breathing better.
my next step is to fabricate a cold air box/ intake. i definitely agree that cold air is better then hot.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 454 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by slaine
Hi, I have the dual snorkle setup on a 1980. It was originally an L-48. The motor is now a 406. It runs 12.4 with the snorkles in place. The underhood heat is incredible. I like having the cool air intakes for the carb. The open element filter probably looks sexier and it definately makes more noise when you put your foot in it. I like telling people that my motor is a stock 350 with headers. The stock air cleaner and snorkles really promote that image. I'm pretty sure that a well sealed dual snorkle setup is faster than the open element.
I tend to agree with this. My under hood temps are pretty hot, and a cold air intake system is a future project for me. I've always thought the factory system looked pretty good, but it would be real easy for you to check it out since you have one. Try a open system on a hot day and let us know. I know that my car runs alot better in the morning on a hot day before it gets totally hot.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
jrl77
Instructor

Gentlemen
Yes the hood is sealed but look around the motor, we all see light !
just open you're hood and slide under. Air is like water it will find it's was in the eng. compartment is not hermetically sealed.

P.S. The O2 level between hot{eng. comp.} and cold {outside}air in august is not all that great.

Get notified of new replies

To snorkel or no snorkel

Quick Reply: snorkel or no snorkel