C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 01:06 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again?

Probably not. I would probably find an exhaust shop that would be willing to install the dual exhaust without cats (if possible) or maybe even find a friend of a friend who worked at an exhaust shop and would do it during off hours. Mid America's kit might as well not even come with instructions, they were about useless as it was. The only thing I got from them was to remove the donut gasket and insert from the passenger side pipe if using a heat riser. Yeah, that was simple. :rolleyes: Had to cut it out because they jammed it in so far. Then the pipe didn't hang right because it was designed to be used without the heat riser (too late, insert already cut). Once I got it hanging, I noticed the pipes were too long to fit properly so I had to pull the pipes down and cut them. Then I found out that a tranny mount hanger from the 74 would work with my 79 so I bought it from Corvette World since MA didn't bother to mention it. When that gets installed, the pipes are mated in the wrong area to properly clamp them to the hanger but I managed to make it work anyway by clamping the pipes together with the old flat-top style clamp and then using a new clamp to secure the pipes to the hanger. To MA's credit, their pipes mated in the correct spot before I cut them, but I couldn't cut the other pipe because it had the expanded end. If the pipes had been the correct length to bend before the spare carrier, the tranny mount hanger would work just fine. Since MA didn't specify how to use their hangers and "L" brackets (other than "Hang from crossmember"), I devised my own way. I put one L-bracket on each bolt that holds up the spare tire carrier (near the diff). This works great combined with the tranny mount hanger and allows you to keep the mufflers even.

I should have just sent the exhaust back as soon as I realized it was too long but I was in too deep and just too dang stubborn. Besides, I waited too long already and I was going to make it work, one way or another.

Bottom line: You basically need an exhaust shop to be able to install Mid America's "bolt on" true dual exhaust for 75-79 (at least for my 79 anyway). For the price you pay to buy the kit, you might as well pay an exhaust shop to custom bend the pipes and install them, it probably wouldn't cost that much more and it would be done a helluva lot faster.

Just my $.02

[Modified by sharklover, 11:10 PM 12/18/2001]
Old 12-19-2001, 01:32 AM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (sharklover)

That's good to know. I was thinking about getting the dual exhaust pipes from them for my 80. It'll probably be more expensive since the pipes come together to the cat on the side, as opposed to going center, on the 80-82. (Is that right?)

Matt
Old 12-19-2001, 01:39 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (Golden80)

Illegal, Matt.
You'd need to get two cats to be "remotely" legal with dual exhaust, and you're only allowed to have the number and placement of cats as the car was originally configured.
Thus, one cat is all you're allowed.
I plan on getting around this, somehow.
-Steve
Old 12-19-2001, 01:42 AM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (Pacin'California)

I'm planning on doing it in 2005. I'll be mostly finished with school and my car will fall under the "Classic Car" specification on my emissions testing. It won't need to be tested anymore after that unless I sell it. And I'm going to keep the original exhaust so that I can slap it on when I sell it to the next person. (If I ever do.)

Matt
Old 12-19-2001, 06:35 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (Golden80)

The MA dual pipes went on my '81 without to much trouble (once I'd given up with the instructions & binned them!). I didn't use the "J" hangers that came with it as I thought that rigidly bolting the pipes to the chassis wasn't a good idea (used normal exhust mounting rubber straps instead). The only problem that I have is the passenger pipe seems to be too long at the end ie. it holds the muffler too far outboard. This means that to get it to fit without touching the body the muffler has to be pointed inwards & down (looks crap from behind). I've cut about 2" off of the end of the pipe which has helped, but there isn't enough expanded section to cut any more off. The drivers side pipe fits perfectly :)
I'd say the '81 system is fine - but get the end of the p. side pipe expanded for a greater length before you start fitting it.
:cheers:
Paul
Old 12-19-2001, 09:19 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (UKPaul)

Well let's see. You bought a dual exhaust package for your car which was not originally set up for dual exhaust. To give Mid-America some credit here, you probably bought the "off-road" 74 package. I did the same thing for my 75.
If you would have noticed the right pipe that hangs down from the manifold was shorter that the left. Hmmmm.. I used a spacer (same thickness as the heat-riser valve) that they (and other vendors) sell. As for length, Of course you would have to cut and tweak them to fit. Did you think it would bolt up perfect? How could it when the set is made for a range of years where the exhaust changes ever-so-slightly?

I had mine cut, trimmed, and installed in a day, laying on my back under the car. Yes it was "put them up, take them down, cut, put them up, etc..." but the fit perfect now, and for the price - I'd get them again..... Sure beat having a muffler shop do it.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:35 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Well if there is a next time you want exhaust for your Vette go north to Logansport, Indiana to Allens Exhaust. They will install them for you if so desired if not they will give you any instruction needed.
They also rebuild trailing arms and will do full restores if needed.
They rebuilt my T arms, great job by the way on a weekend while I waited due to me being in a hurry. And I bought their chambered exhaust and Install myself along with 2 other friends, 71 BB and 67 SB.
Sorry to sound like a commercial but I have been very pleased with Allens.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:54 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (BLT-71)

I know Rhys bought his dual exhaust kit from Corvette World and seemed pretty happy with it. I don't know if he had any of the same issues you had though. He just gutted his heat riser and re-installed it as a spacer. I know he did mention something about the tranny hanger. As my duals have cats and are rusted, and I now here the distinct tick of a leak, I am planning on replacing them in early '02. I imagine that they'll all need "tweaking".
Old 12-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (79MakoL82)

I am VERY happy with the CorvetteWorld system. 2 1/2" pipe. I did what 79Mako said, gut the heat riser, bought an exhaust hanger (from transmission) for an earlier C3 that actually came with dual exhaust, then EVERYTHING else just bolted/clamped right up. No further mods necessary. Came with every piece from the exhaust manifolds back, except for that one hanger I bought.

[Modified by Rhys, 5:05 PM 12/19/2001]
Old 12-19-2001, 06:53 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (Rhys)

I too went with Allens 2 1/2 inch exhaust system. From the manifold back. Good fit and took me about 4 hrs. This was my first exhaust system install so some would be faster I am sure. I am happy with mine as well.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:48 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (KenSny)

If you would have noticed the right pipe that hangs down from the manifold was shorter that the left. Hmmmm.. I used a spacer (same thickness as the heat-riser valve) that they (and other vendors) sell.
I did notice that, and I left my heat riser intact and installed. The problem with mine was the pipe actually hangs down at an angle with the heat riser installed. It would still be at an angle without the heat riser, but it would at least be pointing in the direction of the hole in the crossmember, rather than pointing below it. I kept the bolts loose to the manifold and got the pipe in place before tightening the bolts. I just don't know if it will leak or not since it's on the border of having a gap at the flange (a gap that wouldn't be there if the pipe was bent properly). If it leaks, I'll have to take it to a shop and have them bend the pipe a little more, or get an insert, install the donut gasket and remove the heat riser.

Did you think it would bolt up perfect? How could it when the set is made for a range of years where the exhaust changes ever-so-slightly?
I sure as hell didn't expect it to be 4 inches too long. If they aren't going to make pipes to fit a specific year, then they need to at least make the expanded sections a bit longer (not that they could compensate for 4 inches).

I had mine cut, trimmed, and installed in a day, laying on my back under the car. Yes it was "put them up, take them down, cut, put them up, etc..." but the fit perfect now, and for the price - I'd get them again..... Sure beat having a muffler shop do it.
I could have had mine done in a day too, I just didn't have the time to do it all at once, then had to wait on the hanger (which I found out a week into the wait that it had gone on backorder from CC so I ordered from CW). Your right, it was put em up, take em down, put em up, etc. and the fit is perfect now on mine too. I'm just saying that I think it was a pain in the tail and I probably could have had it done cheaper if it weren't for the laws about cats. I'd even let them install a cat on each pipe (of course that's a pretty penny in itself) but they won't even do that. :rolleyes:

Basically I'm saying that no, I wasn't completely thrilled with the system. :boxing

[Modified by sharklover, 6:51 PM 12/19/2001]
Old 12-19-2001, 09:05 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I got a replacement system from mid america and it didn't have any instructions, period! so I just had to fit it piece by piece. This is definitely a job for a exhaust shop.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:22 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

My only hands on experience was with Mid-Ams' Chambered Pipes.....no muss no fuss....just put 'em on......... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :seeya
Old 12-19-2001, 09:57 PM
Bob Elwood
Racer

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (tnt76vette)

I put in my 74 laying on my garage floor with car on jack stands and had no problem except you have to use metal donuts in exhaust manifold the cheap ones melted and blew thru. :chevy
Old 12-19-2001, 10:17 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

UKPaul... From reading this I assume you bought the MA true dual's system with both pipes following the same route as the standard 2-1-2 system for the '81? If so, can you tell me how tight the pipes are run together through the area where the cat would normally be. I talked to the owner of an inspection station (NC) and he said it would be ok to run that setup through a dual in/out cat as long at it had the air tube. Sounded like this would be a pretty trick system, but if the MA pipes are tight in that area it probably won't work without some bending.

Old 12-19-2001, 10:27 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Sharklover,

I TOTALLY agree. It is best to have an exhaust shop set things up correctly. I have a complete Mid- America exhaust system sitting in my garage for a '74. When I initially installed it, I couldn't get the mufflers right and there were leaks everywhere.....:mad

I am glad I went to side exhaust.........:cool:

Bob
Old 12-19-2001, 11:13 PM
BEZ71
Pro

no it was too long had to do too much cutting i would not recomend ma for exuast produts.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again?

Old 12-20-2001, 12:18 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (Chris81)

Chris, Yes they follow the original route. I think that they are about 1/2" apart in that area but I'll have a proper look over the weekend (I'll be under there anyway :) ) & let you know.
Paul
Old 01-04-2002, 06:52 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again? (Chris81)

Chris,
Sorry about the delay here (I've had the lot apart & it's taken longer than I planned to get it back together, as usual!!). The pipes are about 1" apart at the point where they go under the cross member, but this distance can be altered slightly. I've been adjusting mine to try & get the mufflers to sit right & the distance apart has varied from 1/2" to 1" without any bending or strain on the pipes. They are MA pipes for 80 - 82. Hope this helps.
Paul
Old 01-05-2002, 01:46 AM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Tnx, Paul. I'll start checking to see what's available from the cat manufacturers to run a dual in/out. It's got to have an air tube though, which may be a problem. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if something like this would work. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Mid America's true dual exhaust - would I do it again?