C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using A Oil Additive For Flat Tappet Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Default Using A Oil Additive For Flat Tappet Motors?

I went to my local independent auto parts house I have been dealing with for at last 25 years now and picked up a new WIX oil filter. He told me that in the last year or so all of the oil being refined for automotive use has been reformulated and that the Zink additive has been removed. Being that my car is a flat tappet motor to ensure that the lubricating properties are still there he suggested an additive at each oil change. He has been adding Lucas Engine break in additive that has TB Zink plus in his 1970 Camaro Z28. From what I understand, all the new cars are running roller cams and lifters and there isn’t any need to add the Zink to oil anymore.
Just wondering what others think.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
chvet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like his sales are down and he needed to increase his cash flow. I'm not buying his story or additive.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Actually if you use a API rated cj-4 or ci-4 oil and a quailty filter should be adequate protection for a flat tappet engine with OEM valve springs.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM
gotahavit
8th Gear

I hate it when people give answers without facts. Yes, your parts man is right and no, he is not tring to increase sales.

Do some reading here:
http://www.zddplus.com/

If thats not convincing enough, call the tech dept at any cam manufacturer and talk with them about zinc.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Yes, your parts man is correct. Even the diesel oils recommended above are having their zinc removed. The only real choice left is additive. I use the Comp break in additive, as well as the usual Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer I've always used. God bless, Sensei
Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a1sensei
Yes, your parts man is correct. Even the diesel oils recommended above are having their zinc removed. The only real choice left is additive. I use the Comp break in additive, as well as the usual Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer I've always used. God bless, Sensei
A little expensive but Joe Gibbs oil

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Get some ZDDP additive or use one of the numerous "older engine" oils that have become available. Heck, I can get single-weight non-detergent oil at Wal-Mart again, I hadn't seen that stuff in years.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I use the valvoline Vr1 racing oil. It does not have to meet emissions so the yleave most of the zinc in the oil. Not as much as it used to have but it has lived just fine in my motor. I ran a fairly stiff spring for a flat tappet cam and have for years with no wear issues. Yes most of the oils have hadthe zinc removed and anything you can do to have the zinc in it will help the cam out.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I use the valvoline Vr1 racing oil. It does not have to meet emissions so the yleave most of the zinc in the oil. Not as much as it used to have but it has lived just fine in my motor. I ran a fairly stiff spring for a flat tappet cam and have for years with no wear issues. Yes most of the oils have hadthe zinc removed and anything you can do to have the zinc in it will help the cam out.
I use VR-1 Racing for the same reason. No need for an additive.
& yes your sales guy is correct so keep buying from him..
Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

April 29, 2008

Reference Number: 5351879

Dear Mr. Long,

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The STP Oil Treatment in the blue bottle does contain ZDDP. When you add one bottle of the oil treatment to 4 to 5 quarts of oil it will provide you the same protection as older motor oils once provided. The red bottle only contains slightly more. I hope this information helps you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

If you have additional questions or comments, please click here to respond to this email.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
Actually if you use a API rated cj-4 or ci-4 oil and a quailty filter should be adequate protection for a flat tappet engine with OEM valve springs.

That's correct ... even the "new" rated CJ Rotella 15W-40 has plenty ... true Zinc's been reduced some but there's still plenty in newest CJ for flat tappet. Fill your flattappet crankcase w/ Rotella 15W-40 and don't look back. Just yesterday I spoke w/ our area's diesel expert and followedup w/ some Zinc chat (we've been talking this issue for at least 2 yrs) ... Mack still makes a flattappet diesel and even new CJ oil is working just fine. Same gent is primo flattappet circletrack motor builder and lotsa guys continue using CJ oil in those too & it's AOK.

Weather's changed but sky ain't falling ... again, fill w/ CJ such as Rotella 15W-40 and don't sweat it. If it's a flattappet rebuild being broken-in, fill w/ CJ & also add a bottle of GM EOS too just for breakin. FYI ... Rotella's about $10 per gallon at local walmart ... it's sold dang near everywhere.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Any quality racing oil fits the bill very well...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
morganjd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fact, any oil rated Sm, has reduced zinc. The sm rating specs maximum zinc levels. I use valvoline vr-1 racing oil (20/50)and a bottle of zddp
Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by morganjd
Fact, any oil rated Sm, has reduced zinc. The sm rating specs maximum zinc levels. I use valvoline vr-1 racing oil (20/50)and a bottle of zddp
I called Comp. Cams about a month ago about this I'd been using Castrol He told me Valvoline VR-1 will work plus he said to add thier additive or lucas
The following users liked this post:
ren80 (08-28-2021)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

All the facts Here . http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195620
Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Castrol has a new Syntec 20W50, full synthetic, formulated with increased zinc levels specifically for classic cars. You can check out the specs on their website.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
jshug
Instructor

does anyone know or can find out how much ZDDP is in Blue STP oil treatment?

Get notified of new replies

To Using A Oil Additive For Flat Tappet Motors?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:30 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
Still ?'s lol. Go here and you will find what you need to know and more.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jshug
does anyone know or can find out how much ZDDP is in Blue STP oil treatment?
I checked the label, and it says nothing about the specific contents. But if the STP info above is correct, its a cheap additive to use at about 3 bucks for the blue bottle. A lot less than the GM EOS
Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gotahavit
I hate it when people give answers without facts. Yes, your parts man is right and no, he is not tring to increase sales.

Do some reading here:
http://www.zddplus.com/

If thats not convincing enough, call the tech dept at any cam manufacturer and talk with them about zinc.
Originally Posted by a1sensei
Originally Posted by rclinton
A little expensive but Joe Gibbs oil

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/

It's true, those with flat tappet cams need to use either an additive in regular oil, use diesel oil, or use a specialty racing oil to seriously reduce the risk of wiping cam lobes.

What I am saying is not hersay or second hand knowledge, this is first hand knowledge from me. Last week, my 3 year old ~15000 mile 406 wiped several cam lobes.........I figured since I had that many miles on it and it was broken in fine I had nothing to worry about, and DID NOT elect to use anything other than regular oil. I dropped my motor off at the machine shop yesterday for a tear down and inspection.

If you insist on using regular oil, also use the additives, believe me, it is very cheap insurance.

Read this:
http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/Fla...chBulletin.pdf

Last edited by 7t2vette; 05-31-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Using A Oil Additive For Flat Tappet Motors?