C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DCOE Webers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Doug 61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCOE Webers

Does anyone on here run quad side drafts on their vette? I'm looking at getting a set but I'm not sure if there are any clearence problems, particularly with the wiper door actuator. Also, did you have to fit vacuum outlets in the manifold yourself. The setup I'm looking at does not have any outlet.
I'd appreciate any info or pics if anyone can help.

Thanks, Doug
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant speak to the vette specifically, but I installed the setup your using on a 289 Ford engine in a Superformance Cobra. The Shelby manifold had no vacuum provisions, and we did not modify the hood on that car.

It is a pretty low setup and I'd mock it up on another bare engine, measure it, then compare the height to what you have now. Also you should have no problem finding a place to install a vacuum source, at least for the distributor. Power brakes might be a little tougher since it's all individual runners. Very impressive to look at as well!

Hans
Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,069 Posts

This is the finest example of home custom craftsmanship I have ever seen. Very talented!

George - If he is still on the forum created the air filters also.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
mxscooter
Racer

HOLY MOLY
Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
chuck d
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkull
This is the finest example of home custom craftsmanship I have ever seen. Very talented!

You are right. Great craftmanship. Nice looking set up.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

running downdrafts myself...you'll love the induction roar!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
running downdrafts myself...you'll love the induction roar!

I did not know anything about Webers until i started doing dyno tuning at the race shop. All the Ferrari's and older racing Jaguar's use them. Now I have it down to a science on how to change the BSFC for the best Air fuel ratio across the entire rpm band. Just pull the long tube out and pull it apart. They tend to lean out as rpm rises. So you have to compensate by going down on the air bleeds. To sync them at idle we use a flow meter that you stick into each velocity stack at idle. Be sure and always run between 2.5 and 3 psi of fuel pressure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_s...el_consumption
Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

There is another guy that uses dual webers mounted sideways off of a roots style supercharger, really cool setup.

Edit: blnvette is his name:

Last edited by nate99; 05-20-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Stroker-427
Racer

Sidedraft are very similar to the downdraft Weber (or Dellorto) for tuning and design.

The main concern for this setup is the strongly pulsating flow in the venturis.

According to the David Vizard book on intakes..... thay are excellent if well tuned!

Lots of low end torque.... mid range and crisp response to the throttle.

By the way, with big engines as 406 or 427, they are in the small side of size .

The most imortant part for the tuning is the "emulsion tube".... due to the mentioned pulsation of the intake.

Speaking about prices......
Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Webers of the max size (which I believe is 48mm) are only good to support up to about 360 ci.

They are pretty expensive and indeed difficult to tune. I believe there is only one manifold that can use them and that is the Moon crossram.

This is what I use (a testfit on my not yet completed car)

It's EFI.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
terrible_buddhist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
Webers of the max size (which I believe is 48mm) are only good to support up to about 360 ci.

They are pretty expensive and indeed difficult to tune. I believe there is only one manifold that can use them and that is the Moon crossram.

This is what I use (a testfit on my not yet completed car)

It's EFI.
wow.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I think you can find 50 and 55mm DCOE carbs.

I believe the grandsport corvettes used a 58mm weber on a 377.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Stroker-427
Racer

Wela...... some Katikore item ???????

...if only there is some one with bigger holes.......
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Moon crossram with Webers (from Ramfire)

Sidedrafts, here's a custom setup with Dellorto DHLA 45 Tri Jet carbs from a US spec Lotus Esprit Turbo

A GM sidedraft mechanical fuel injection manifold

And a downdraft fuel injection setup.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug 61
Does anyone on here run quad side drafts on their vette? I'm looking at getting a set but I'm not sure if there are any clearence problems, particularly with the wiper door actuator. Also, did you have to fit vacuum outlets in the manifold yourself. The setup I'm looking at does not have any outlet.
I'd appreciate any info or pics if anyone can help.

Thanks, Doug
H i Doug ,,,,,,,,,, on the road right now , will email you tomorrow about the dcoe crossram setup

gman
Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker-427
Wela...... some Katikore item ???????

...if only there is some one with bigger holes.......
It's DC&O that produces them, Katicore only sells them, but he's hard to reach.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I have them on my 66. They look good but cost as to performance gain is poor. They run very well and yes they suck to tune. All the parts are expensive and now X 8. You can't buy a jet kit like a Holley. Every time I had to try a diff. jet size it cost me 100.00 with shipping. I did this about 7 times. I then started drilling my own jets due to the cost. mine are 45's on a 327. Low end is very good but they run out around 6000 rpm's. They seem to small to feed the 180 dart heads and the cam I have. All said and done they cost alot of money for very little if any performance. A well tuned Holley would be a much better setup. Aleast on my motor. I would never do it again unless I had all the tuning parts I need at my finger tips. And even then the cost just is not worth it.

I still think about taking them off but I can't stand the thought of the loss I would take.
Oh and as far as vacume or pvc. forget it. You can not pull vacume from just one runner. You need to pull from all the runers at the same time. So you need to make a spider type vacume system . Then you have no place for a pvc. I have to run a road draft tube or you need to drill the block someware to except the pvc.

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To DCOE Webers

Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 AM
jerome1979
Racer

Weber are very popular in europe!! before all performance car have this brand of carburator!
i have a lot of information about but it's in french ! (i can translate to help if you need)

about size of weber:
in europe (Great Britain is an exeption) we choose a carb with his diameter not cfm (all 2 are dependent) and we don't have so big engine so carb cfm limitation is not a problem!

for exemple: a small 1,3L (79,3ci) was feed by 2 40 DCOM
but 103 ch@6800 rpm and de 88,4 Ft.LBs@5000 rpm for 1580 LBs
http://la205rallye.free.fr/
and for US car:
Ford GT V8 340hp@6550 --> 4 weber 48 IDA

Some help for tunning (french sorry)http://pboursin.club.fr/bonus/weber/weber.htm#partie2

hope this help
Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM
cajos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkull

Damn thats a cool looking engine!! Any specs on it?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aworks
I have them on my 66. They look good but cost as to performance gain is poor. They run very well and yes they suck to tune. All the parts are expensive and now X 8. You can't buy a jet kit like a Holley. Every time I had to try a diff. jet size it cost me 100.00 with shipping. I did this about 7 times. I then started drilling my own jets due to the cost. mine are 45's on a 327. Low end is very good but they run out around 6000 rpm's. They seem to small to feed the 180 dart heads and the cam I have. All said and done they cost alot of money for very little if any performance. A well tuned Holley would be a much better setup. Aleast on my motor. I would never do it again unless I had all the tuning parts I need at my finger tips. And even then the cost just is not worth it.
I still think about taking them off but I can't stand the thought of the loss I would take.
Oh and as far as vacume or pvc. forget it. You can not pull vacuum from just one runner. You need to pull from all the runers at the same time. So you need to make a spider type vacuum system . Then you have no place for a pvc. I have to run a road draft tube or you need to drill the block someware to except the pvc.[/quote]

They are very easy to tune if you are on a motor or wheel dyno. with all the monitors. Like i said above. Webers tend to run rich at lower rpm and lean on top. So you have to change the air bleed parts of the shaft to balance the BSFC. All the Ferraris just use vented valve covers for their older street cars. The newer racing versions moved up to dry sump.

Our shop has a couple of Bizzarini race cars with 327 chevys in them with 48's. I will see if they have a log book on their three settings

Last edited by gkull; 05-21-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: DCOE Webers