C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

look at this body mount rust...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default look at this body mount rust...

How bad does this look? am i in alot of trouble? the whole frame is rock solid.. beside a lil surface rust here and there...

thx
rich
Old 05-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, that mount sure doesn't look very healthy and at this point in time it probably is not doing the job it was intended to do. I think now is the time to fix it. Some of these supports are available after market...not sure if this one is or not.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Those mounts are available.....I had to replace them both in my 68
Old 05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with Paragon. I believe they have those mounts. The frame does look ok, but those mounts will continue to deteriorate if you don't replace them.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich
The Body reinforcement is shot, you can pick them up @ Paragon Reproductions. That's the metal cap over the fiberglass. The frame mount looks good, but if all the body mounts are like that, they all need to be replaced. I am in the middle of a Body off, I had to replace all the Body Reinforcements, and all the frame mounts. It was quite the mess.
You'll need to raise the body several inches in order to drill the pop rivets from the reinforcement but ir shouldn's be that bad. Also there is a caption nut in the well in the rear of the car, thatreceives the body mount bolt. You need to pay attention that that one doesn't tear it's rivets and start to spin around. Good Luck, your frame looks solid enough.

Clyde
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

How many body mounting points are there?

I mean I have the engine, trans and rear and front suspension out, interior is gutted...

maybe i should just take the body off the frame...i'm so deep in now...and over my head...gezzz

r
Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Assuming this is a couple, you have 4 on each side. That is the #4 mount and chances are the portion attached to the frame is rotted somewhat as well, which can be repaired with some welding. The upper portion which is riveted to the body is available from Paragon. Since you have that much of the car apart, I would at least lift up the body to replace the rubber mounts and repair that #4 mount.

Here is what the frame portion could look like.

http://blog.scottsvettetalk.com/2007...nt-repair.aspx

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 05-13-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Those reinforcements rust out on most cars, all of the major restoration vendors carry them. It's worth pointing out that your rubber body mounts are trashed, too.

I posted a write-up on my body mount replacement a while back, it should be easily found in the Advanced Search feature using my name.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Assuming this is a couple, you have 4 on each side. That is the #4 mount and chances are the portion attached to the frame is rotted somewhat as well, which can be repaired with some welding. The upper portion which is riveted to the body is available from Paragon. Since you have that much of the car apart, I would at least lift up the body to replace the rubber mounts and repair that #4 mount.

Here is what the frame portion could look like.

http://blog.scottsvettetalk.com/2007...nt-repair.aspx
Nice pictures! That is the way I repair #4 body mountson the frame. It costs nothing but time and you know the location on the frame is still the same.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those reinforcements riveted onto the body are toast. Zips and others sell replacements. The good news is the rivets are aluminum and are easy to grind off. You might find some bad news on the frame mounts when you take off the rubber bushings. You can cut the top off the mount and weld a plate on to repair the mount rather than remove and replace the entire mount. That way you won't have the placement/alignment issues that come with a total replacement.

Rick B.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullcrappy1

I mean I have the engine, trans and rear and front suspension out, interior is gutted...

maybe i should just take the body off the frame...i'm so deep in now...and over my head...gezzz

r
If you have all that stuff off anyway it's not that much more work to remove the body. It will take an extra year and who knows how much $ to finish the chassis but you can have an essentially new chassis to drop the body back onto. Believe me, I know how much work is involved and most of it is unrewarding (disassembling, degreasing, cleaning, painting) but when it starts going back together it starts getting fun again.

Rick B.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
ENG40
Racer

r
Bite the bullet now and you will be glad you did in the future. New brake and fuel lines while you're at it.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Default ya i guess i gotta now..

looks good Rick, real good.

and yep new fuel lines now as well...lol

r
Old 05-13-2008, 10:58 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

r
Originally Posted by ENG40
Bite the bullet now and you will be glad you did in the future. New brake and fuel lines while you're at it.
Remove body...you'll be glad you did in the end!!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't put it off, it will cost you more in th long run. Once you get the body off you may find other areas that are in need of repair. All my body mounts were rusted through.
Body-off
Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 PM
SharkintheWoods
Racer

Those look just like mine did before I replaced them. Be prepared in case your angle bracket hole is rusted out as well. Mine was so I had to cut and weld some new replacement metal on it. PITA, but doable for an average joe.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Thanks guys, this has turned into such a mess/ordeal. NEVER ever thought i would have the body off the frame.

just thought i was redoing the suspension and drive train... now i have it in a million part and hope i can get it all back together someday...lol

r
Old 05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Take lots of pictures and notes. Put all bolts/fasteners in labeled baggies....otherwise???? Good luck on a difficult project.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Ohh i must have 50 zip lock baggies, with post notes inside them...lol

and a couple hundred pictures... what was i thinking..

r

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Take lots of pictures and notes. Put all bolts/fasteners in labeled baggies....otherwise???? Good luck on a difficult project.

Get notified of new replies

To look at this body mount rust...

Quick Reply: look at this body mount rust...